Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549020 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6090 on: November 06, 2015, 06:23:04 pm »

Reminds me of how military chaplains are simultaneously equal rank to a 5 star commander and a junior cadet

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: November 06, 2015, 06:24:03 pm »

Reminds me of how military chaplains are simultaneously equal rank to a 5 star commander and a junior cadet
That is an interesting combination.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: November 06, 2015, 06:24:57 pm »

EDIT: @Culise -- No, they do. They erase your name form all church records. Which, since they believe that only those "sealed" in the Church will enter the Kingdom of Heaven (or fly off to Kobol or whatever the fuck), then they're effectively revoking your "Get Out of Hell Free" card.
Ah, I see.  Does that also require all Mormons to have no social interactions with you whatsoever; basically, a Church-wide shunning?  It seems to me that a lot of churches say that if you don't follow them, you'll go to Hell (or some equivalent) already, so that doesn't seem too exceptional by Christian standards.

IIRC that's a pretty standard practice in the LDS, Scientology, I think even the Amish community.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: November 06, 2015, 06:55:37 pm »

Pretty standard with all cults, really.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: November 06, 2015, 06:59:26 pm »

Dunno.

But consider that for most Protestant denominations, there's no hierarchy, so while a preacher may tell you you're going to Hell, they don't have the power to enforce that in a theological sense. Churches like the LDS and Catholicism, there's a dogmatic way to actually remove you from the "ranks of the redeemed". Which may seem laughable to non-believers, but consider the plight of someone who is a devout Mormon and fully believes that they're going to hell unless they denounce their own parent?

Excommunication is no joke to those who actually believe in what they're being excommunicated from.

To quote Lutheran doctrine, it's by faith you've been saved, not by what any other person or hierarchy says.

Military chaplains are either some of the greatest or most disquieting people you'll ever meet.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: November 06, 2015, 07:43:27 pm »

Which, like I said, is a hallmark of Protestantism -- there's no single authority or council with the ability to damn you.
(I was raised Lutheran, Missouri Synod).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: November 06, 2015, 07:47:04 pm »

Also once a Lutheran, and I see it as kind of worse since it encourages narcissistic mob shaming because anyone can claim valid authority.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: November 06, 2015, 07:48:48 pm »

Where is this?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: November 06, 2015, 08:08:36 pm »

I seem to recall saying I would laugh if Trump ended up becoming the face of the republican party, despite the party's objections.
If he does I'll laugh in relief because he's much better than Carson
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: November 06, 2015, 08:24:55 pm »

The Summer of Trump has finally been succeeded by The Fall of Ben, but what's next?

Winter is coming for GOP?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: November 06, 2015, 08:25:55 pm »

Pretty standard with all cults, really.
Indeed.  The three examples I listed come from Jehovah's Witnesses (we actually had two Witnesses on a forum I used to go to, one of whom had been so condemned), Scientology, and certain grains of ultra-orthodox Judaism (Haredi and Chassidic).  I was mostly curious because of the many things I've heard laid at their door, being so actively PNG'd was one of the few things I hadn't heard about the Church of Latter-Day Saints - that is, even if you denounce the Church, you can still at least talk to your friends and family who are still practitioners, and vice versa. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:28:57 pm by Culise »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: November 08, 2015, 10:56:19 am »

Heh, yeah, the whole 'we must be friendlier to minorities' idea got derailed hard by Trump (who evidently never read the post-mortem report that they did) and then some of the candidates kept trying to out-trump Trump.

Still, rhetoric aside, I do agree that we need to fix the border issue first, but nobody's able to agree on how to fix it, so, it ranges from more border patrols to building a freaking 'great wall of China' on the border.

Also, I don't remember immigration being discussed much in the first democratic debate, maybe it will this coming weekend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: November 08, 2015, 11:01:07 am »

Maybe because there isn't that much of a border issue in the first place? It's not like those immigrants are hurting the US.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: November 08, 2015, 11:17:54 am »

Maybe because there isn't that much of a border issue in the first place? It's not like those immigrants are hurting the US.

Any sort of damage that immigration might have done(if any) to the US was completely dulled by the damage we did to ourselves in 2008. Seems like kind of a silly thing to fight over when we still haven't really recovered from the recession and we're nearing the 10 year mark. (And no, stock market numbers don't tell the whole story.)
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 1342