Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548506 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5265 on: October 14, 2015, 07:09:15 pm »

I'm 100% sure Sanders never said that and I'm not sure what could be misinterpreted as what your mom thinks.
She likely heard something about free college, something about fighting discrimination, and put those through her knowledge that Sanders is (effectively) ideologically the opposite of Donald "We have stupid people" Trump.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: October 14, 2015, 07:10:12 pm »

Plenty of transcripts are available online.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: October 14, 2015, 07:18:57 pm »

Like here. And yeah, BFEL, yer madre was pulling that entirely from her arse, near as I can tell from skimming over the thing. Can check for yourself, though!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: October 14, 2015, 07:25:40 pm »

I don't see anything that could possibly be interpreted as 'black people' in what Sanders said.

I also concur with what ShoesandHats said.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: October 15, 2015, 09:44:54 am »

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: October 15, 2015, 09:51:20 am »

It's amazing people like that can still exist.  A birthday party?  There is a video for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: October 15, 2015, 10:57:04 am »

Yeah, it's unfortunate people like that exist....

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/ben-carson-pauses-campaign-book-tour-214828
When was the last time a presidential candidate took a break just for a book tour? Because I certainly don't remember anybody doing that. Except maybe Palin, then again, she's done a lot of book tours.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: October 15, 2015, 12:27:12 pm »

When was the last time a frontrunner was someone more interested in a few million dollars then being president?  Um... Huey Long?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: October 15, 2015, 12:43:09 pm »

Caught a bit of our local NPR station interviewing John Hodgman, and he made an observation that rather succintly summed up the core problem in the US:

(and I'm paraphrasing here)
"There's a problem in this country where we tell people that money doesn't buy you happiness, that you can be happy without wealth. But what it doesn't address is that wealth buys you stability. It buys you not having to spend most of your waking moments worrying about whether you're going to make your bills this month. And there are people who have a vested interest in keeping people out of that level of wealth, because people vote mostly out of fear."

The more I think about it, the more I think he's spot on. If most people weren't 1-2 paychecks away from financial disaster, they'd be more rational and more open to proposals like subsidized healthcare or free education or environmental regulations. But when you keep people that on edge abut their security, even the smallest fee or tax seems like the straw that will break the camel's back. Conversely, if you're so far down the totem pole that government programs are the only thing keeping you alive, you're going to fight tooth and nail against attempts to scale back or remove those programs.

And we've got this "poor but happy" narrative in American culture that serves to pacify and shame people for wanting a more equitable distribution of wealth by equating it to greed and envy. If you're poor and want to be rich, you're greedy. But if you're already rich, then you just "worked hard and had great ideas". You're a "job creator", someone to be admired and respected.

We've fundamentally forgotten that the American Dream, the Horatio Alger story, is "rags-to-riches", not "rags-to-happy to just have a job, and really who needs money anyhow when I have all these wonderful commercial products to distract me?"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:47:18 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: October 15, 2015, 01:25:14 pm »

Horatio Alger is a horrible example of the American dream.  The lesson is that if you keep your head down and be obedient, one day a rich man will shower you with wealth.  If that's the American dream I'm changing my name to Treason McHater.

I think your neo-marxist take on the political economy is also pretty silly but damn if it isn't a popular one.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: October 15, 2015, 01:35:26 pm »

Horatio Alger is a horrible example of the American dream.  The lesson is that if you keep your head down and be obedient, one day a rich man will shower you with wealth.  If that's the American dream I'm changing my name to Treason McHater.
Well, Mr McHater, is that not precisely what the entire boomer-era 'corporate ladder' narrative is all about?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: October 15, 2015, 01:38:46 pm »

No?  Either you earn your own wealth or die in the gutter.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: October 15, 2015, 01:51:40 pm »

I have said it before and I'll say it again, America deserves a better national anthem.
I'd like to suggest this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: October 15, 2015, 02:40:29 pm »

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: October 15, 2015, 03:36:03 pm »

With the current division in congress, I'm not sure that they'd be able to agree on one.
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 1342