Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548319 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5250 on: October 14, 2015, 06:21:50 pm »

I highly doubt internet polls are really indicative of who won debates, either Republican or Democrat
REPUBLICAN: More people say Trump won than actually support Trump, because they think it's funny (See: deez nuts)
DEMOCRAT: The internet LOVES Bernie, are you kidding me? Of COURSE he's going to get a strong showing.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: October 14, 2015, 06:23:03 pm »

Personally, I don't see a point to bipartisanship when its with a party whose members wish they had the power to legally hunt the opposition.

The hardcore Right in the Republican party is a cancer on the body politic. And as long as voters continue supporting it, bipartisanship will fail and things will not get better.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: October 14, 2015, 06:23:37 pm »

He returns.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: October 14, 2015, 06:24:32 pm »

The thing with bipartisanship is that the Republican Party has shifted so far to the right that any possible compromise wouldn't represent the desires and beliefs of Democratic constituents. Plus, the GOP more closely resembles a coalition of parties than one unified party at this point. Meeting in the middle with the entire party would be impossible because there's hardly anything that they can agree on in the first place.

I agree that gridlock is a terrible thing for this country, but this wouldn't be such a problem if the right weren't getting more extreme every day. The GOP needs to reverse course quick if it wants to continue its existence. It just isn't sustainable as is. We're already seeing the dam start to leak, what with the Speakership being up for grabs without anybody to grab it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: October 14, 2015, 06:25:58 pm »

I can't think of any american precedents for the Speakership situation.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: October 14, 2015, 06:29:53 pm »

Yeah, compromise isn't always desirable.  If somebody wants you dead, do you oppose them or offer to go into a coma instead?  When it comes to republican policies (sacrificing lives for profit, sacrificing women for religious convictions, actively pursuing the ability to victimize minorities, violent foreign policy), this isn't hyperbole.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: October 14, 2015, 06:32:23 pm »

I wish political science was advanced enough to answer the question of if this partisan shift would have happened if Gore had won.  Sadly I think that psychohistorians wont be able to answer that question until long after I am dead.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: October 14, 2015, 06:36:43 pm »

Re: The kool-aid thing -- it's usually somewhat tongue in cheek. On the other hand, though, there is the fact that a fairly substantial (and often incredibly vocal) portion of the US electorate does believe with complete sincerity insanity such as the world ending within a generation. Not really applicable to the use of it we saw here, but it does see usage in american political discourse that's, well. Appropriate. The utter bugnuts actually have a non-ignorable amount of political influence.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: October 14, 2015, 06:39:52 pm »

The drinking the kool aide thing was I believe a specific reference to nenjin stating that I was drinking the kool-aide by denying that CNN was biased in Clinton's favor.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: October 14, 2015, 06:48:04 pm »

That's why I said this specific instance wasn't an example of the relatively legitimate use of it in US political discourse, yes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: October 14, 2015, 06:55:42 pm »

Sometimes it is hard for me to understand other people's syntax.  Probably due to me being blinded by my hate of Chomsky.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: October 14, 2015, 07:03:02 pm »

So I didn't see the debate, but mom did, and what she said about it is worrying. Though note that she's voting for Trump, just to give you a good idea of where she's coming from.

One thing specifically she said happened struck me as hilariously horrible.
According to mom, at one point Bernie Sanders literally said he would "Only support universal free college for Blacks"

So, is mom just mishearing things to fit her bias, or is that an actual standpoint of Bernie's position?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: October 14, 2015, 07:05:38 pm »

I must have missed that debate.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: October 14, 2015, 07:06:28 pm »

So I didn't see the debate, but mom did, and what she said about it is worrying. Though note that she's voting for Trump, just to give you a good idea of where she's coming from.

According to mom, at one point Bernie Sanders literally said he would "Only support universal free college for Blacks"

So, is mom just mishearing things to fit her bias, or is that an actual standpoint of Bernie's position?

I wouldn't really trust a whole lot that goes through the filter of a Trump voter, but what I believe she was referencing was that he said something about giving everybody a free college education, but that the rich would be paying most of the fee for that in taxes. I could be wrong though, my memory isn't that amazing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: October 14, 2015, 07:06:37 pm »

She is mishearing things to fit her bias, that kind of thing is extremely silly.

Might have been during the discussion on illegal immigrants, I dunno. Where's a transcript? I'm 100% sure Sanders never said that and I'm not sure what could be misinterpreted as what your mom thinks.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 1342