Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548556 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4845 on: October 03, 2015, 02:53:21 pm »

a big enough gun could push the planet farther from the sun , dropping temperature and therefore decreasing sea level due to larger ice caps.

It may also crack open the crust and cause untold destruction.

If we're going to kill ourselves can we please do it this way?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: October 03, 2015, 03:14:40 pm »

Well, with something big enough you could just vaporize enough water...
Don't think that would actually work... general system's closed enough flash frying chunks of the ocean shouldn't really get rid of much of the actual water, once the whole meteorology thing finishes up a cycle or two. It'd just rain like the bugger and we'd be back where we started, except probably worse.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: October 03, 2015, 03:19:19 pm »

Yeah... I don't know what mainiac is reading, but the stuff I see is climate scientists so overwhelmed by the enormity of the problem that many are beginning to speak publicly about suffering from depression as a direct result of their work and feelings of hopelessness.  When questioned frankly outside the sterilized language of scientific papers, there's a lot of very apocalyptic language used.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: October 03, 2015, 03:21:11 pm »

I don't know what mainiac is reading

Just the general sort of impression I got while an employee for the EPA.  Many neckties, not too many nooses.  People were a little worried about McCarthy before she came in but once she settled into the role, everyone was pretty optimistic about the agency and it's mission.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:22:59 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: October 03, 2015, 03:26:56 pm »

a big enough gun could push the planet farther from the sun , dropping temperature and therefore decreasing sea level due to larger ice caps.

It may also crack open the crust and cause untold destruction.

Y'know, at this point I'm beginning to think orbital translation may be a more practical approach than anything else we've tried. Sure, we'd have to update the calendars to our new 400-day year, but just think! That could be a great sell to get big business onboard.

"You mean we get 35 more days we can squeeze out of our workers each year? And 35 more days to report earnings, so our quarterly statements would go up? Where do we sign??"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: October 03, 2015, 03:50:36 pm »

My napkin math is probably horribly off here but I think we'd need to move the earth 2.5 million kilometers per degree of Celsius we want it cooler.  So unless we want an ice age it would only be a day or two added to the calendar.

Which is the only flaw I can find in your logic.  Only.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: October 03, 2015, 04:11:46 pm »

Which is the only flaw I can find in your logic.  Only.

Wouldn't the energy requirements of it bake the entirety of the human race alive from waste heat? I'm no astrophysicist, but I'm pretty sure moving planets out of normal orbit is rather energy intensive.  :P

On the note of climate change causing societal collapse.

Not going to happen. Not in the developed world anyway. There's a whole heap of unexploited resources that won't be impacted much by the change in global weather patterns, energy technology gets more efficient every year and the changes will be gradual enough that the existing governments and corporations will be adjusting as it happens, though probably by accident and for pursuit of profit rather than anything else. Lots of things will be more expensive, but there's probably going to be a rise in wages to compensate, I doubt it will equal the rise in costs by any means, but it won't be enough to cause mass hysteria or deprivation (any more than already occurs, which varies across the developed world).

The developing world is going to be pretty hard hit though. They can't adjust to fluctuations in food production, weather patterns and similar things as easily due to the lower proliferation of technology and lacking the infrastructure to exploit unused resources as easily, and an uncomfortably large proportion of the human race lives in the developing world, so we could be looking at a huge amount of death and suffering overall.  :(

Of course, if we can keep technology advancing fast enough to keep pace with ecological changes then we could keep up the trend we've had for the past few decades with malnutrition and poverty declining in the developing world, which would help reduce the massive cost in human life that would result from famine in the countries without a good basis for subsistence farming.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: October 03, 2015, 05:14:43 pm »

Wouldn't the energy requirements of it bake the entirety of the human race alive from waste heat? I'm no astrophysicist, but I'm pretty sure moving planets out of normal orbit is rather energy intensive.  :P
That why we have to do it very fast. If the heat is released quickly enough, in a small enough region, the gradient between it and the surrounding area should be steep enough to drive other machinery. Since our goal is to vent the energy from the Earth's atmosphere, I recommend lasers, pointed directly at our least favorite celestial object.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: October 03, 2015, 05:23:39 pm »

*blinks* Oh. Ah, no, if we're talking legitimately practical ways to turn back climate change a bit, we actually have the tech to cool the planet off some right here and right now, relatively easily. It's a little dirty -- would acidify rain a bit on pretty much a global scale -- but we could do it without much trouble and it would (probably) fuck things up significantly less than excessive warming would.

Sulfur, I think it was, injection into... some layer of the atmosphere, iirc? Locks up (or something along those lines) greenhouse gases, particularly CO2, at a pretty phenomenal ratio, and we have both the material access (sulfur is damn plentiful) and the means to get it where it needs to go readily available. Probably a few other methods beyond that. Doing it without some kind of tradeoff is currently impossible, but we've had a few engineering solutions/drastic measures available for something like a few decades now. Just, y'know, most organizations capable of enacting that sort of thing would rather try a bit harder to find a solution without the (same degree of) side effects.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: October 03, 2015, 05:37:02 pm »

We're entirely aware it very specifically won't.

E: To clarify a bit, whatever is they can do with this particular technique is tried and tested (obviously on smaller scales) -- we know pretty much exactly what will happen if we got desperate enough to implement it. Its primary downside isn't "surprise unintended greenhouse gas" it's "acid rain freaking everywhere, me hearties", which is one of the reasons folks haven't exactly decided to use it preemptively -- world's still got a few degrees to go before it starts getting bad enough those kind of side effects are offset by letting things continue their course.

First we try social engineering and smaller scale technology changes in hope of slowing down and halting the problem sufficiently, then we go to inflicting several decades/centuries of acid rain upon ourselves :V
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:31:42 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: October 03, 2015, 06:17:44 pm »

I do love direct solutions.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: October 03, 2015, 06:36:59 pm »

I like that this is what a political thread has turned into. A discussion about how a sufficiently large gun could destroy the earth.

Nicely done.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4857 on: October 03, 2015, 06:44:48 pm »

Well, at this point its probably worth mentioning that technically it would be less destructive to just shoot everyone against combating global warming, but of course then we get Liberal Crime Squad.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: October 03, 2015, 06:45:29 pm »

... hey, when you're talking about the country that outspends the next 20 on building bigger guns, you might as well talk about ways to use do it.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: October 03, 2015, 06:46:56 pm »

Yeah, of course, injecting sulfur in the athmosphere won't do jack shit to prevent ocean acidification. My favourite technology is carbon capture on a massive scale by either fracturing some specific rocks or by seeding the oceans to cause algal blooms.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 1342