Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548564 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4815 on: October 03, 2015, 10:34:44 am »

The other thing is that, armchair generals about asymmetrical warfare and military defections aside, I will not allow me and mine to be helpless if a political tide sweeps up the right in this country and they decide the time has come for their theocratic dreams to be reality, or there's some other gone to shitness in the future. Live or die, I will not sit around politely and wait to be shot like a fucking dog like people on the internet so like to advocate.

I admit I do not live in America, but this particular fear sounds absolutely and utterly insane to me.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: October 03, 2015, 10:38:39 am »

The other thing is that, armchair generals about asymmetrical warfare and military defections aside, I will not allow me and mine to be helpless if a political tide sweeps up the right in this country and they decide the time has come for their theocratic dreams to be reality, or there's some other gone to shitness in the future. Live or die, I will not sit around politely and wait to be shot like a fucking dog like people on the internet so like to advocate.

I admit I do not live in America, but this particular fear sounds absolutely and utterly insane to me.
Look, I'm gonna be straight with you here. 9/10 chance there is no solvency to climate change and we go downhill in the next twenty to thirty years. Every effort we've put towards it has been opposed by the by and large of society, and even now it's one of those 50/50 issues while industry remains all happily in lockstep about how we just need more growth and deregulation.

There are going to be mass extinctions, there are going to be water shortages, there are going to be crop failures. There's already superweather. With that is going to come massive amounts of death and destabilization for the entire world. I've halfway given up on saving us, and if the predictable happens I'm going to have a backup for me and mine. With desperation comes extremism, and I know that people who believe things like Jesus coming to save them from us having ruined the planet are going to be much more popular.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4817 on: October 03, 2015, 10:50:54 am »

I'm afraid I have to take the pro-2nd Amendment stance on this one, in no small part because it's been around for all of the USA's existence and yet the mass shooting phenomenon is modern. Something else is the root cause here, and I think the ban guns bandwagon is the result of us collectively not being smart enough about our problems.

NO POLITICIAN IS GOING TO TAKE YOUR GUNS.

Yes, there are internet morons who want to ban all guns. I myself am more than willing to point out the foolishness of the "protection against tyranny" argument (regardless of its practical concerns, the very idea is apocalyptic fantasy). Nonetheless, it is politically and practically impossible to ban guns on an effective level.

Every time this happens, it just goes in circles. Idiots say "ban guns!" Morons reply, "don't ban guns!" Both of them somehow think they are solving the mass shootings problem. Liberal idiots can't seem to parse that it is literally impossible to achieve that goal. Conservative morons don't seem to realize that somehow the only civil right they've ever championed is the one to keep and hold deadly weapons.

Shut up about the damn guns and provide a concrete, alternative solution. Are Republicans going to allow for a massive mental health reform in the United States? Or does it cost too much? If we want to have an adequate safety net, that means that pretty much every American is going to, at some point, receive mental care in the same way that every American goes to the doctor once in a while.

EDIT RE. Ninja:
If you're actually prepping for an apocalypse and feel you have nothing to live for on earth, maybe you should talk to some kind of councilor instead of buying guns.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: October 03, 2015, 10:54:41 am »

I'm afraid I have to take the pro-2nd Amendment stance on this one, in no small part because it's been around for all of the USA's existence and yet the mass shooting phenomenon is modern.

http://news.discovery.com/history/mass-shootings-history-121220.htm

Ohhh, doesn't it make you feel all manly, knowing that you will go down in a blaze of bullets, accomplishing nothing, if an insanely unlikely event happens?

Liberal idiots can't seem to parse that it is literally impossible to achieve that goal.

http://www.theonion.com/article/no-way-prevent-says-only-nation-where-regularly-ha-51444
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: October 03, 2015, 10:59:40 am »

Every time this happens, it just goes in circles. Idiots say "ban guns!" Morons reply, "don't ban guns!" Both of them somehow think they are solving the mass shootings problem. Liberal idiots can't seem to parse that it is literally impossible to achieve that goal. Conservative morons don't seem to realize that somehow the only civil right they've ever championed is the one to keep and hold deadly weapons.

Shut up about the damn guns and provide a concrete, alternative solution. Are Republicans going to allow for a massive mental health reform in the United States? Or does it cost too much? If we want to have an adequate safety net, that means that pretty much every American is going to, at some point, receive mental care in the same way that every American goes to the doctor once in a while.
Would you prefer we go back and repost all the other times this was stated verbatim. Nobody is going to set up a social safety net or mental health reform. That might be the single most unpopular stance on any major issue you could take these days. Just enjoy the media's desperation for views and wait for the next shooting like we always do.
EDIT RE. Ninja:
If you're actually prepping for an apocalypse and feel you have nothing to live for on earth, maybe you should talk to some kind of councilor instead of buying guns.
Now that's just contradictory. If I felt I had nothing to live for I wouldn't be preparing to survive impending societal collapse. You can't argue with math PTTG. We pretty much missed the boat, and at this point the kind of action that would be needed to weather us through would itself cause societal disruption.
Ohhh, doesn't it make you feel all manly, knowing that you will go down in a blaze of bullets, accomplishing nothing, if an insanely unlikely event happens?
Oh please spare me mainiac, I am nothing before your superior analytical skills, you truly always have been the most realistic poster the internet has ever seen.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4820 on: October 03, 2015, 11:05:35 am »

Liberal idiots can't seem to parse that it is literally impossible to achieve that goal.

http://www.theonion.com/article/no-way-prevent-says-only-nation-where-regularly-ha-51444

I don't think PTTG is saying what you think they're saying. They're referring to completely banning guns.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: October 03, 2015, 11:07:35 am »

If gun regulations are a slippery slope, then why do Canadians still have guns? We actually have a comprehensive regulatory system that mostly satisfies all parties*. We even still have mass shootings, they just usually have fewer casualties because we managed to make the most dangerous ones harder to get. I have aunts and uncles who still go hunting regularly with guns they own.

(* At the very least to the point where when we do have them no one can blame the gun laws.)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: October 03, 2015, 11:10:20 am »

I'm afraid I have to take the pro-2nd Amendment stance on this one, in no small part because it's been around for all of the USA's existence and yet the mass shooting phenomenon is modern.

http://news.discovery.com/history/mass-shootings-history-121220.htm

Does it make it you feel superior that you won't? Because holy shit do you sound snide.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: October 03, 2015, 11:15:22 am »

I'm afraid I have to take the pro-2nd Amendment stance on this one, in no small part because it's been around for all of the USA's existence and yet the mass shooting phenomenon is modern. Something else is the root cause here, and I think the ban guns bandwagon is the result of us collectively not being smart enough about our problems.

NO POLITICIAN IS GOING TO TAKE YOUR GUNS.

Yes, there are internet morons who want to ban all guns. I myself am more than willing to point out the foolishness of the "protection against tyranny" argument (regardless of its practical concerns, the very idea is apocalyptic fantasy). Nonetheless, it is politically and practically impossible to ban guns on an effective level.

EDIT RE. Ninja:

I'm perfectly cool with an improved mental safety net. Why the hell are you railing against me if by your own admission disarming the country is impossible?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: October 03, 2015, 11:15:35 am »

I'm not sure why in this hypothetical apocalypse you think owning a gun will help you out if it means every other person running around going nuts also has 1

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: October 03, 2015, 11:17:30 am »

Carly Fiorina refuses to back down, falling back on the traditional "Mainstream Media are out to get me" tactic

No surprise here :P
I have to admit, calling "I lied out of my ass" a technicality takes some chutzpa. I'll give that much. It's not the least bit admirable, but it is vaguely impressive in just about the worst sort of way.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: October 03, 2015, 12:16:14 pm »

If gun regulations are a slippery slope, then why do Canadians still have guns? We actually have a comprehensive regulatory system that mostly satisfies all parties*. We even still have mass shootings, they just usually have fewer casualties because we managed to make the most dangerous ones harder to get. I have aunts and uncles who still go hunting regularly with guns they own.

(* At the very least to the point where when we do have them no one can blame the gun laws.)

The vast majority of mass shootings are committed with full-size handguns, which are classified as "Restricted" in Canada. Other than the necessity of getting a license (the requirements for which are basically the same as getting a CCW in Ohio, as far as I can tell), it is not much more difficult in law to get a Restricted weapon in Canada than it is to get a pistol in the US. Indeed, such weapons are obtainable (with a bit of red tape) throughout much of Europe barring some local caliber laws (as some nations ban specific rounds or prohibit anything that was adopted militarily).

Of great interest is that, while the US is often considered a "leader" in mass killings, the only way for the US to take #1 in the per-capita rate is to (simultaneously)

1. Eliminate every killing that might be considered a terrorist attack
2. Sort by number of incidents rather than number of victims
3. Exclude all non-firearm weapons from consideration (thus excluding a number of mass stabbings)

If you eliminate any one of these critera, the US drops dramatically in the rankings. If you drop any two, the US doesn't even crack the top ten.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: October 03, 2015, 12:24:47 pm »

Does it make it you feel superior that you won't? Because holy shit do you sound snide.

Yes, I am snide towards those who think that basic government needs to be vetted by how it performs in outlandish fantasy conditions.

Of great interest is that, while the US is often considered a "leader" in mass killings, the only way for the US to take #1 in the per-capita rate is to (simultaneously)

Are you including third world shitholes in your count?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:26:47 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: October 03, 2015, 12:46:27 pm »

Yes, I am snide towards those who think that basic government needs to be vetted by how it performs in outlandish fantasy conditions.

You just called climate change an outlandish fantasy condition.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 1342