Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548520 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4830 on: October 03, 2015, 12:50:47 pm »

Yes, I am snide towards those who think that basic government needs to be vetted by how it performs in outlandish fantasy conditions.

You just called climate change an outlandish fantasy condition.

He just called society devolving into Wild West anarchy controlled by bands of extremist Christians as a result of climate change an outlandish fantasy condition.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: October 03, 2015, 12:51:59 pm »

Does it make it you feel superior that you won't? Because holy shit do you sound snide.

Yes, I am snide towards those who think that basic government needs to be vetted by how it performs in outlandish fantasy conditions.

Of great interest is that, while the US is often considered a "leader" in mass killings, the only way for the US to take #1 in the per-capita rate is to (simultaneously)

Are you including third world shitholes in your count?
The study I read (which I can't find right now, still looking) specifically excluded the Middle East and South America, but not Southeast Asia along with all active war zones.

EDIT: I've found a third-party report of one of the two studies I was referencing, but can't dig up the original anymore.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/jun/22/barack-obama/barack-obama-correct-mass-killings-dont-happen-oth/

To summarize: if you sort by victims-per-capita in the years 2000-2014 instead of by number of incidents,  the US places fourth - behind Norway, Finland, and Switzerland, in gun deaths only. While this is in part due to the fact that a smaller population skews easier, that doesn't cover it entirely.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:07:02 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: October 03, 2015, 12:53:40 pm »

He just called society devolving into Wild West anarchy controlled by bands of extremist Christians as a result of climate change an outlandish fantasy condition.
Don't worry, the neoliberal high-energy lifestyle will remain stable forever. Everything will be alright.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4833 on: October 03, 2015, 12:57:49 pm »

Don't worry, the neoliberal high-energy lifestyle will remain stable forever. Everything will be alright.

I don't really see the US government suddenly losing control of everything as a result of climate change. Besides, if they do they'll also lose control of gun regulations and you can buy your gun then.

But hey, I already live in a hellhole run by corrupt officials and I don't feel the need to own a gun. Wake me when you have a one in five chance of being raped. Then worrying is reasonable.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: October 03, 2015, 01:00:17 pm »

Well, one in five is the number that's always quoted to me these days for the US, so...

And trust me, as bad as things will be for America, I'm sure they will be indescribably worse for wherever you are. Hope you don't rely on any tropical weather patterns.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: October 03, 2015, 01:04:44 pm »

I did the what now?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4836 on: October 03, 2015, 01:12:09 pm »

Well, one in five is the number that's always quoted to me these days for the US, so...

Not so much.

Quote from: Wikipedia, the Free Online Sometimes Reliable Source
A CDC study found that, in the US, 1 in 71 men had been raped or suffered an attempt within their lifetime. The same study found that approximately 1 in 21 men had been made to penetrate someone else, usually an intimate partner or acquaintance.

I'm not sure exactly what the difference between those categories is, but the point stands

Quote from: RAINN, the Organisation I've Never Heard of but that Seems Reputable
About 3% of American men — or 1 in 33 — have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime.

And that's just one statistic I'm throwing out there to make a point. I don't think events are likely to play out the way you suggest, and if they do I think you might find that you're better off than you think.

Edit: so, in summary, I can't be wrong on the internet!1!!one! Better derail the thread a bit to prove I'm not. And make myself look tough.

I don't think stronger gun regulations (not even strong ones. Just existent) would fix the US's problems entirely, but I do think it would help. I just don't see them making it past the gun rights activists.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:14:31 pm by Arx »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: October 03, 2015, 01:27:48 pm »

I did the what now?

Ok, let me partially incorporate Arx's clarification, to the extent that I agree.

You just called de-stabilization as a result of climate change an outlandish fantasy condition.

Not that I completely agree with MSH's reasoning.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: October 03, 2015, 01:46:02 pm »

The political instability from climate is the sort of stuff we are already seeing in the world.  Civil war in Syria and whatnot.  It affect vulnerable societies where a jump in the price of food is an extreme hardship.  The US is going to face some reduction in standard of living from global warming, but it's probably not going to even reverse the long term trend of rising standards of living and health improvement, let alone bring us to Mad Max territory.

When scientists talk about the millions of lives that global warming costs, that is a cost spread out over the entire world over a century.  It's a great humanitarian tragedy but it isn't going to destabilize the US very much.  It's not equivalent to say, North Korea nuking San Francisco.

It's a lot like gun control actually.  It's a steady drip-drip-drip of preventable harm.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:49:53 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: October 03, 2015, 01:59:04 pm »

No man, the Second Coming climate change is going to happen within our lifetime and everything is going to go to hell. You know our government won't be able to handle it. The evil communist left Christian right is going to come into power and try to take away our guns and freedom. Stockpile ammo and protect your families, friends.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: October 03, 2015, 02:33:41 pm »

How else will we shoot the ocean back down to a reasonable level?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: October 03, 2015, 02:40:53 pm »

... what would it take to do that, anyway? Cracking open huge (continent sized) chunks of the ocean floor to make more room? I'm not sure we'd be able to do that with just long guns... the bullets themselves would probably add more mass than they could displace, once it settled. Nevermind actually getting the bullets down there with any momentum remaining...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: October 03, 2015, 02:42:47 pm »

Well, with something big enough you could just vaporize enough water...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: October 03, 2015, 02:43:18 pm »

No man, the Second Coming climate change is going to happen within our lifetime and everything is going to go to hell. You know our government won't be able to handle it. The evil communist left Christian right is going to come into power and try to take away our guns and freedom. Stockpile ammo and protect your families, friends.
Maximum b8.

But step back for a moment and look at what we're dealing with here. 7 Billion people on the planet. Going to be about 10 billion at peak. We increase emissions by gigatons each year and reduce them by megatons at best, and even renewables cause high emissions through their manufacturing, not to mention the superfund sites that have already been created by neodymium and silicon mining. Just to deal with fossil fuels will take an emission budget we no longer have, for a population that's going to be demanding four times what we can do with fossil fuels. That says nothing about ocean acidification, about superfund sites, or about sea level rise.

And what will do we have to match that? For the US specifically, policy paralysis, and a system which is geared towards the people who want to consume the most and whine the loudest. Do you think that these are people who can agree on things like one child policies and preemptive resource conservation? With putting the boots to the industrial emitters who sign their donation checks?

The measured, personable kind of sustainability transition has been beyond our reach for a while now. There are too many of us, and too much of our byproducts. No fucking kitschy Captain Planet activism is going to help now. They should have been stopping reproduction back in the 50's. Now? Now you might as well just enjoy the rest of the ride.
How else will we shoot the ocean back down to a reasonable level?
Oh, and talking about sea level rise is literally illegal in our state's legislature. We're fucked, man.
No Gods, No Masters.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: October 03, 2015, 02:51:11 pm »

a big enough gun could push the planet farther from the sun , dropping temperature and therefore decreasing sea level due to larger ice caps.

It may also crack open the crust and cause untold destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1342