Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547830 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4590 on: September 25, 2015, 08:45:59 am »

Bohener is resigning from congress at the end of October all of a sudden. I wonder why though? Seems like a 'bleep this, I'm done' kind of thing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: September 25, 2015, 08:51:18 am »

There's a group of Republicans, I think they might be the Tea Party lobby, that have wanted him gone for a long time. Apparently he was too moderate.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: September 25, 2015, 09:15:45 am »

Holy shit.

Well, I can't exactly say I blame him...after five years of herding 434 other (wo)manchildren, I'd have had enough too.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: September 25, 2015, 09:18:07 am »

i really love americans.

all the democrats are literally hating on boehner, as in, they hate him.

so are all the conservatives.

i mean goddamn, why cant any of you agree to disagree.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: September 25, 2015, 11:22:21 am »

Boehner is also a Catholic, and was instrumental in getting the Pope to speak to Congress. They apparently had a private meeting, and some Boehner aides are indicating that the decision was made after that meeting.

On the one hand, you could allege Papal influence in domestic politics. On the other, you could imagine Il Papa saying, "Look at the people you're leading, and think how their actions and values correspond with the message of Christ."

I'm looking forward to hearing about this episode when Boehner publishes his memoirs in the future. I hope it titles it Fuck All Y'all, I'm Out: Being In Charge Of The Insane Asylum.

Now...will the GOP establishment be able to get one of theirs into the speakership, or will the unhinged wing get a real firebreather installed? The establishment candidate looks to be Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), no clear idea yet who the Tea Party candidates might be.

One possibility is Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA), a member of the Tea Party caucus, but his tenure as whip has been pretty poor. The Whip's job is to enforce party discipline and "whip" dissenting or reluctant members into voting with the party, and the GOP has had a big problem with insurgent Republicans sinking legislation that the House leadership wants passed. On the other hand, that could be a point in his favor to those insurgents if they think he's deliberately been helping them.

Some other possibilities, off the top of my head:
Tom McClintock (CA)
Steve King (IA)
Jim Jordan (OH)
Louie Gohmert (TX)
Pete Sessions (TX)

If I had to pick three, I'd say Jordan, Gohmert, and Scalise as they've all actually tried to oust Boehner at points in the past.

EDIT: the more I think about it, Gohmert is a poster boy for the unhinged wing. He's probably too incendiary to win the post, but they'll probably try. If he wins the Speakership, its a sign of just how far gone the House is.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 11:31:28 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: September 25, 2015, 11:39:41 am »

Quote from: Wikipedia
In July 2015, Gohmert delivered a speech to the U.S. Congress in which called upon the Democratic Party to disband due to its historical support of slavery and racism.[21][22]

Well. I don't really have much to say...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: September 25, 2015, 11:58:44 am »

Gohmert also has that thing where he supported the trans-Alaskan pipeline as a way for caribou to have sex, lolwut. He's also an NRA wonk :p

There's also Scalise who apparently met with a white supremacist group, take that as you will I guess.

If Gohmert got the position, it would also show how far gone the Republican Party is.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: September 25, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »

He's also floated this idea of "terrorist babies", basically taking the anchor baby rhetoric and wedding it to the idea of Islamist sleeper agents, and claiming that groups like Hamas, Hezbollah and ISIS are sending young pregnant Arab women to the US to give birth, then taking the baby back to their home country to train them as terrorists. The thinking goes that with their US citizenship, these children would be able to bypass security measures in say, 15-20 years' time. Because no US citizens go through security checks in the US, especially those of Arab ethnicity.  ::)

Dude is bonafide crazypants. Which makes him an ideal candidate.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: September 25, 2015, 02:53:25 pm »

There's another potential worry though, the fact that we are going to hit the borrowing limit and be in danger of a default in December. http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/john-boehner-resigns-wall-street-react-214070

While nobody has challenged McCarthy for the speaker position yet, there's plenty of conservatives vying for majority whip. Since McCarthy is allied with the Tea Party, I bet the far right people will start clamoring louder to just go for default.

I wonder if there will be a question in the debate asking about willing to go default.

Edit: silly spellcheck.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:59:07 pm by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: September 25, 2015, 02:56:43 pm »

Wait, McCarthy's a Teabagger? Oy...and he's the "establishment" choice too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: September 25, 2015, 02:59:45 pm »

Well, he worked with the Tea Party campaigns in 2010.....

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: September 25, 2015, 03:57:49 pm »

So did the establishment get taken over by aliums? finally decided to collectively chug the kool aid?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4602 on: September 25, 2015, 04:00:52 pm »

He's also floated this idea of "terrorist babies", basically taking the anchor baby rhetoric and wedding it to the idea of Islamist sleeper agents, and claiming that groups like Hamas, Hezbollah and ISIS are sending young pregnant Arab women to the US to give birth, then taking the baby back to their home country to train them as terrorists. The thinking goes that with their US citizenship, these children would be able to bypass security measures in say, 15-20 years' time. Because no US citizens go through security checks in the US, especially those of Arab ethnicity.  ::)
Dude is bonafide crazypants. Which makes him an ideal candidate.
Don't you need to have medical approval if you are in late stage pregnancy before even getting on a flight? Unless I'm wrong, only premature births would slip pass already existing security controls

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: September 25, 2015, 04:02:37 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
In July 2015, Gohmert delivered a speech to the U.S. Congress in which called upon the Democratic Party to disband due to its historical support of slavery and racism.[21][22]

Well. I don't really have much to say...

It was especially ironic, as he launched that argument as a way of deflecting attacks on the confederate flag...

So the Democrats should disband because of their historic links to the Confederacy, but hands off my Confederate flag!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: September 25, 2015, 04:09:18 pm »

I... don't know who any of those speaker possibilities are. Not a single one.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 1342