Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547298 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4560 on: September 23, 2015, 11:35:24 pm »

No, no baug. What you were looking for is "Gaping wider than santorum's namesake." Gotta' keep it topical.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: September 23, 2015, 11:39:34 pm »

...huh. Thanks for sharing that, RedKing, I hadn't seen that before. (I mean, it's not enough to fully change my position there given that it's a single source without a whole lot of explanation... but with my own disbelief aside that's something I'll still definitely have to think about.)

For my purposes, if I'm going to be dead honest, I only really care about Paul getting a significant enough number of primary votes to give libertarianism in general a bit of a signal boost; I know he's not getting nominated, I know he's sure as hell not becoming president, but I'm fine with that. I just want a bit of a Sanders-esque thing to happen with the party's direction, even a little. I hope Bush is the nominated one, honestly, mainly because he's as moderate as he is.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: September 23, 2015, 11:48:52 pm »

For my purposes, if I'm going to be dead honest, I only really care about Paul getting a significant enough number of primary votes to give libertarianism in general a bit of a signal boost;

But what kind of signal are you boosting?  I'm not much of a purist but you need to draw the line somewhere that does more good then harm...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: September 23, 2015, 11:57:07 pm »

Two things:
A: He talks pretty libertarian, yeah? That's going to be the signal boosted, no matter what his voting record is or isn't.

B: I skimmed through some of his voting record, and incomplete a reading as it was, I didn't really see the arch-conservative voting record Silver claims. It seems to me Rand is happy voting Yea on a few kinds of bill (mainly stuff like Keystone, and some typical Republican fare)but for the pretty-much-entirety of the rest votes against and/or votes for amendments that limit the power given to the government by the bill (one that catches my eye is his voting for failed amendments to lessen the scope of military detentions). If someone could explain for when I look at the thread tomorrow (it's 1 and I'm already ruining my day tomorrow).

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: September 24, 2015, 01:05:06 am »

The main point is what kind of conservative the article is talking about. Legalization of weed is Libertarian(in any sense) but not conservative(in the current US/UK Tory sense).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: September 24, 2015, 06:48:21 am »

The main point is what kind of conservative the article is talking about. Legalization of weed is Libertarian(in any sense) but not conservative(in the current US/UK Tory sense).
Which means you'd expect to see Paul's voting record more to the left. But you don't, not by a long shot.

EDIT: To be fair, some of that may be methodology and focus:
The libertarian-leaning Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky is rated as being extremely conservative by DW-Nominate and by Mr. Bonica’s method, which tend to give more emphasis to a candidate’s record on economic issues. But he is rated as fairly moderate by OnTheIssues.org, which also evaluates his stances on social policy.

DW-Nominate was used to generate the voting record rankings, while OnTheIssues was used to rank the public policy statements. So if these two weight differently based on economics vs. social policy, that may account for the divergence.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:53:14 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: September 24, 2015, 08:52:44 am »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/marco-rubio-benefits-scott-walker-dropping-out/

micah: All right — closing question: How would you sum up the Walker campaign in three words or less?
faraic: “Wasn’t my money.”
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: September 24, 2015, 09:10:25 am »

The pope needs to butt out of the barrier separating church and state.........

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: September 24, 2015, 09:25:35 am »

... has he already given the congress talk thing? Is that what it was about?

E: To be a bit more clear, I honestly expect the pope to treat that with more care than something like a third to a half (at minimum) of the republican party does. If he's actually gone off on some sort of smash the barrier tirade, it'd be a little surprising.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:29:34 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: September 24, 2015, 09:38:03 am »

... has he already given the congress talk thing? Is that what it was about?

E: To be a bit more clear, I honestly expect the pope to treat that with more care than something like a third to a half (at minimum) of the republican party does. If he's actually gone off on some sort of smash the barrier tirade, it'd be a little surprising.

He didn't go into any 'smash the barrier' tirade, but he did poke into it a bit with whatever he was talking about at the beginning, rhetorically. He's gone on to various other stuff. It's been his usual stuff.

I think he did do a subtle swipe at the problems of congress getting not much of anything done though. But really, it's been the usual stuff he does, nothing overly religious.

Lol, the same Justice who fell asleep during the State of the Union is barely staying awake.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:52:37 am by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: September 24, 2015, 04:42:51 pm »

Before It's News is not satire sadly. It's a right-wing conspiracy site, of the New-World-Order Jews-Coming-To-Get-You type. You know, the whole "we print what the liberal lamestream media refuses to tell you". They take Alex Jones as a serious analyst on sites like this, and one article accessible from their front page claims that Nords have the superior bloodline of the biblical Nephilim, and middle-eastern immigration into Europe is a jewish illuminati plot to eradicate this blood-of-the-gods from existence for once and for all. Maybe some people are trolls there, but it's not satire per-se.

From the Pope article:
At the 24:00 mark, he started promoting illegal immigration, and chastising America for not letting more illegals in over our borders. He called it a sin to not allow more illegals in, and that we should “reject a mindset of hostility” towards them. What part of the word “illegal” does the Pope not grasp?

Clearly, these "illegals" can't be allowed to even exist. Exterminate them all. This is basica NAZI-speak where you use language which dehumanizes a population to make unpalatable treatment acceptable, even the norm. And that's no Godwin, when it's about sticking untermensch in camps.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:53:23 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: September 24, 2015, 04:57:30 pm »

got a video of his speech. i haven't listened to it yet but apparently is really good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/25/us/pope-francis-congress-speech.html

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: September 24, 2015, 05:17:10 pm »

Oh, it's THAT kind of site. *kills it with fire*

Anyways, new Quinnipiac poll is up: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/images/polling/us/us09242015_ui47mfb.pdf

It's starting to look really competitive now, what with the republicans starting to beat the democratic candidates in some of the matchups they did.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 1342