Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545035 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #3525 on: August 13, 2015, 07:38:33 am »

What, I don't even get to be actually cynical?  Lame.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: August 13, 2015, 07:49:43 am »

You're so going to get hammered for spouting pseudo-cynical "Everyone is the same kind of rotten" crap that turns mainiac berserk...
And rightfully so, too. In the fight of revolution vs reform, 99% of the time those advocating revolution are either idiots or have a hidden agenda.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: August 13, 2015, 07:54:40 am »

Hey, EnigmaticHat wasn't really advocating "revolution" in any sense of the word.

More to the point, if you widen your definition of "manipulating elections" as much as he does, it actually become meaningless. What is campaigning if not an attempt to influence the result of elections after all?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: August 13, 2015, 08:01:08 am »

welp, time to ban campaigning

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: August 13, 2015, 08:32:30 am »

You're so going to get hammered for spouting pseudo-cynical "Everyone is the same kind of rotten" crap that turns mainiac berserk...
And rightfully so, too. In the fight of revolution vs reform, 99% of the time those advocating revolution are either idiots or have a hidden agenda.
Wha, what?  I don't advocate revolution.  I don't think I've made a single post in this entire forum seriously suggesting violent action in real life, and I've been here since my awkward teenage years.  (so please don't actually comb my posts)  Hell, I even think reform is going to happen.  I just don't think politicians are going to be the source of it without outside pressure.  Its like... I dunno, people haven't changed since the US came into existence?  People are probably doing corrupt shit now and at some point they will probably be called on it, because that's what happened in the past.

More to the point, if you widen your definition of "manipulating elections" as much as he does, it actually become meaningless. What is campaigning if not an attempt to influence the result of elections after all?
My list of examples was political machines, ballet manipulation, and gerrymandering.  I'm like 80% sure that all of those things are illegal.

I think I'm talking past some people, because originally we were talking about an offhand comment I made about Maniac's link and I'm no longer talking about that.  I would agree that the linked article doesn't reveal any kind of hidden corruption.  That's never what I was saying.  Its more that it sort of fit into my existing feeling that people are probably messing with elections behind the scenes?  And that wasn't clearly expressed because it was an offhand comment and I never expected to have to turn it into some kind of rational arguing point.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: August 13, 2015, 09:11:02 am »

Hell, I even think reform is going to happen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I used to be like that. Hold on to that political cherry as long as you can, cause once it gets popped you're left a bitter, tired old man rolling his eyes at every "hope and change" candidate that comes along. I'm not saying that there aren't any honest politicians, but they rarely rise to positions where they can actively control or even strongly influence policy decisions in the US (or most countries, for that matter).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: August 13, 2015, 09:14:24 am »

I actually think that most politicians are honest, just subject to the all too human biases of power.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: August 13, 2015, 09:36:05 am »

Gerrymandering and political machines are both legal, if unsavory.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: August 13, 2015, 10:28:11 am »

Wha, what?  I don't advocate revolution.  I don't think I've made a single post in this entire forum seriously suggesting violent action in real life, and I've been here since my awkward teenage years.  (so please don't actually comb my posts)  Hell, I even think reform is going to happen.  I just don't think politicians are going to be the source of it without outside pressure.  Its like... I dunno, people haven't changed since the US came into existence?  People are probably doing corrupt shit now and at some point they will probably be called on it, because that's what happened in the past.
Revolution need not be violent. Your 'they're all corrupt beyond saving' lends itself very well to suggestions like 'sweep the whole place clean, install some new people/institutions/system', which is a revolutionary attitude.
I admit I read a bit too much into your post, since you didn't actually advocate any concrete course of action. However rhethorics like yours suggest a certain... direction.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: August 13, 2015, 10:35:20 am »

I just want to take this opportunity to thank everybody for almost always using  Donald "I promise I will never be in a bicycle race" Trump's full name. This plugin wouldn't work nearly as well otherwise.

They've really got to start crowdsourcing the quote bank. There are so many great hits the plugin misses- who could resist...

I don’t think Ivanka would do that [pose for Playboy], although she does have a very nice figure. I’ve said if Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her.

Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.

Now, if your boss is a sadist, then you have a big problem. In that case, fire your boss and get a new job.

Part of the beauty of me is that I am very rich.

I love beautiful women, and beautiful women love me. It has to be both ways.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump's Narcissism Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #3535 on: August 13, 2015, 10:47:53 am »

Lolwut on the thread name change.

Also, the heck on his comment about his daughter? Gotta love the off-the-wallness, and not to defend him, but that does sound a bit out of content.

The other campaigns better have had their Donald J. (yes, his middle initial is J) Trump quote miners running a long time ago.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: August 13, 2015, 11:16:59 am »

I can feel that this plugin is going to enrich my life in ways that Cloud2Butt+ never could.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: August 13, 2015, 11:53:04 am »

Someone's having messy Trumpgasms all over the place. I'm glad I'm not the only one with that particular... itch.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: August 13, 2015, 11:57:49 am »

Well at least he isn't a rapist. He has that going for him.

Donald Trump: 'At least he isn't a rapist.'
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: August 13, 2015, 11:59:11 am »

Well at least he isn't a rapist. He has that going for him.

Donald Trump: 'At least he isn't a rapist.'

Well doh, he isn't Mexican so he can't be a rapist now, can he?

Unless he's secretly Mexican...
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 1342