Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544994 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #3495 on: August 12, 2015, 05:22:42 am »

Finally - politics will have the perfectly rational, self-interested actor the scientists have been assuming all these years.

*Economists
Oh, no, political scientists are exactly the same. We have this thing called the paradox of voting where it's irrational to vote because your vote is so unlikely to change the outcome that the effort required to vote isn't worth it, but people still clearly vote anyway. As far as I can tell, this was never considered a joke, although it's no longer considered a real problem evidently.

I'm not sure if you're saying that is a thing or that politicientists say that is a thing, so this response is written with that uncertainty.

Because that isn't rational at all! It's like saying it's irrational to build a flood wall because each single drop of rain is too small to raise the river a single centimetre. Purposefully disregarding the bigger picture does not make the argument/theory more rational, it makes it irrational.

Also I wouldn't call a "political scientist" any more of a scientist than I would an economist, which was the original joke ;)
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: August 12, 2015, 05:29:21 am »

Well, that's why you don't bother with catching single raindrops, but instead build a dam to prevent the flood...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: August 12, 2015, 01:29:39 pm »

Political scientists have actually treated that as a serious problem, is what I meant to indicate. The idea is that voter attendance, if everyone were rational, would be so low that each individual vote stood a reasonable chance of swinging the election, in light of the costs of voting. It's a very silly idea, and everyone recognizes that it's wrong, but exactly why it is seems to have been the subject of some debate. And, yeah, political scientists are scientists to exactly the same extent as economists, and the two "disciplines" are highly incestuous anyway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: August 12, 2015, 05:14:09 pm »

Finally - politics will have the perfectly rational, self-interested actor the scientists have been assuming all these years.

Precisely. He is a man without principles and conscience, the most rational being in existence, and a real boon to objectivists and neoliberal economists everywhere. And the general public is also thrilled because they have finally found their ideal politician, because every cartoon villain-politician and TV-drama adversary-politician during the last century or so has been conforming to that ideal of rationality -- an ideal which has only now been realized when the Trump suddenly acquired sentience and discovered his inner politician.

It's only a matter of time before the transhumanists discover Trump's perfect rationality and start endorsing his ascendancy as an immortal, cybernetically enhanced God Trumperor.
I found this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: August 12, 2015, 05:21:17 pm »

My god, his....his Hair....

* MetalSlimeHunt falls to his knees and weeps in veneration.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3500 on: August 12, 2015, 05:25:25 pm »

If the Trump Emperor of mankind did not want to be venerated as God why does he run around with a golden halo above his head wearing radiant armour and wielding a flaming sword?

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: August 12, 2015, 05:48:55 pm »

If the Trump Emperor of mankind did not want to be venerated as God why does he run around with a golden halo above his head wearing radiant armour and wielding a flaming sword?
it's 2sexy4u
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: August 12, 2015, 05:58:28 pm »

Why do you think he doesn't?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: August 12, 2015, 09:10:32 pm »

*Wakes up from political debate drinking game

What did I miss? What's happening? Wait... is that Trump in a suit of golden armor?

*Faints
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: August 12, 2015, 09:38:59 pm »

Goodnight sweet prince.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: August 12, 2015, 10:05:11 pm »

If the Donald "A lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive" Trump Emperor of mankind did not want to be venerated as God why does he run around with a golden halo above his head wearing radiant armour and wielding a flaming sword?
Look, just because he wants to wear ornate gold armour, wield a fiery sword, emit a glow pretty much all the time, and other things of that nature doesn't mean he wants to be looked upon as a god. He's not the one who needs to be taught not to dress like a god, you lot are the ones who need to be taught that considering people, to be gods dependent on how they look is wrong. Besides, his head designer thought that all the flashy golden bits really brought out the color of his eyes.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: August 12, 2015, 10:10:11 pm »

If the Donald "A lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive" Trump Emperor of mankind did not want to be venerated as God why does he run around with a golden halo above his head wearing radiant armour and wielding a flaming sword?
Look, just because he wants to wear ornate gold armour, wield a fiery sword, emit a glow pretty much all the time, and other things of that nature doesn't mean he wants to be looked upon as a god. He's not the one who needs to be taught not to dress like a god, you lot are the ones who need to be taught that considering people, to be gods dependent on how they look is wrong. Besides, his head designer thought that all the flashy golden bits really brought out the color of his eyes.
But what if the very act of being a thinking, conscious being is associated with its own form of energy, something we can't understand or detect with our mortal senses but is very real, creating emotional depressions in the fabric of reality just as gravity does for matter, feeding in through the concentrated vessel of our collective devotions to assemble beings of gestalt thought devoted to a singular concept in the absolute extreme to the exclusion of all else, and that these beings have taken on their own will by feeding from our own freely given animus to further their own concept of existence no matter what horrors that would unleash upon the realm of math and physicality?

...nah, praise the Emperor!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: August 12, 2015, 10:16:32 pm »

Done and done.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: August 12, 2015, 10:23:15 pm »

... y'know, this discussion has lead me to realize that there's probably Trump lookalike/body doubles out there. That has to be a hell of an existence.

I could see Trump having a hidden man harem of clones, honestly. Either literal or just surgically altered to be identical.

To be fair, if you gave me like... ten million. To undergo surgery to look identical to trump and stay that way for, say, a decade. I'd take that deal. Doubt I'd go any lower, but that'd buy me.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: August 12, 2015, 10:54:46 pm »

I just want to take this opportunity to thank everybody for almost always using Donald Trump's full name. This plugin wouldn't work nearly as well otherwise.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 1342