Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545059 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #3510 on: August 12, 2015, 11:04:32 pm »

This is not a story about Donald Trump:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/08/todd-akin-missouri-claire-mccaskill-2012-121262.html#.VcqX51J8XCQ
But it is as interesting as many stories about Donald Trump.  I'm sure Donald Trump would have strong opinions about this story if not for the fact that a man as important as Donald Trump is too busy to read politico.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: August 12, 2015, 11:08:49 pm »

No, the extension adds his first name when someone just says Trump. See? It just did it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: August 12, 2015, 11:12:16 pm »

No, the extension adds his first name when someone just says Trump. See? It just did it.
Oh. Damn. Trumped by technicality, I guess.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: August 12, 2015, 11:23:50 pm »

Oh. Damn. Trump by technicality, I guess.
FTFY
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: August 12, 2015, 11:24:25 pm »

This is not a story about Donald Trump:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/08/todd-akin-missouri-claire-mccaskill-2012-121262.html#.VcqX51J8XCQ
But it is as interesting as many stories about Donald Trump.  I'm sure Donald Trump would have strong opinions about this story if not for the fact that a man as important as Donald Trump is too busy to read politico.
Wow, that's... the kind of thing I assume goes on all the time but no one admits to.

I'm not sure if I should be impressed or angry or both.  Strictly speaking that would be an example of corruption in campaign politics but its so damn clever and its really hard for me to feel bad about something when Akins is on the butt end of it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: August 12, 2015, 11:29:15 pm »

I have to admit,
Quote from: this line
How much did “Operation Dog Whistle” contribute to Akin’s victory? I do believe his nomination reaffirmed more than ever his conviction that a higher power had chosen him for this race.
was amazing. The implication that the higher power in that race was the democrat candidate is just...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: August 12, 2015, 11:58:46 pm »

Wow, that's... the kind of thing I assume goes on all the time but no one admits to.

That seems like a very silly assumption to me.  The conditions that lead to "operation dog whistle" are hardly normal and the results were clearly easy to distinguish.  And if this thing is happening all the time, why is it that none of the literally hundreds if not thousands of members of the conspiracy came forward?  The senator is quite happy to publish this secret, which hardly makes me think that many other people are keeping mum so well.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:00:18 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: August 13, 2015, 12:08:47 am »

That seems like a very silly assumption to me.  The conditions that lead to "operation dog whistle" are hardly normal and the results were clearly easy to distinguish.  And if this thing is happening all the time, why is it that none of the literally hundreds if not thousands of members of the conspiracy came forward?  The senator is quite happy to publish this secret, which hardly makes me think that many other people are keeping mum so well.
I mean election shenanigans in general, not this specific thing.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: August 13, 2015, 02:37:49 am »

That, I have to say, was quite brilliant. Makes you think about why Trump keeps polling so well...
On a serious note, I think part of it is because he very clearly doesn't give a damn about what the media thinks of him. People respect that, for better or for worse. He also has more charisma than a damp sponge, unlike most of the other candidates.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: August 13, 2015, 05:03:09 am »

That, I have to say, was quite brilliant. Makes you think about why Trump keeps polling so well...
On a serious note, I think part of it is because he very clearly doesn't give a damn about what the media thinks of him. People respect that, for better or for worse. He also has more charisma than a damp sponge, unlike most of the other candidates.

He cares about the media to the degree they keep talking about him. Trump is living by the motto that any PR is good PR.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: August 13, 2015, 06:15:00 am »

And my point remains exactly the same as before.  Where are the people who took part in such activities?  Where are the party rulemakers who want to change the rules to prevent the shenanigans?  Where is the evidence that separates this belief from my niece's belief in unicorns?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: August 13, 2015, 06:20:47 am »

It's not like this is illegal or anything. It's about trying to shape your opponent's message, and that happens all the time. It's not like she lied about Atkin, or covertly sent fund to his campaign or anything.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: August 13, 2015, 06:45:00 am »

But it offers a very different scale then say an editorialist concern trolling a primary.  And it represents actual subterfuge while this stuff is generally done very openly.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: August 13, 2015, 06:58:10 am »

And my point remains exactly the same as before.  Where are the people who took part in such activities?  Where are the party rulemakers who want to change the rules to prevent the shenanigans?  Where is the evidence that separates this belief from my niece's belief in unicorns?
Alright, really?  My origin post literally contained the word "assume", and the part you're quoting was one sentence.  Sorry I'm not jumping to provide a detailed intellectual defense of it.

I don't think you understand how broad a net I was casting by the words "sort of things".  What I more-or-less meant was that American elections have been manipulated for our entire history, and it seems arrogant to assume it isn't happening now.  I don't know what it is, but I'm sure in a hundred years in history class our grandkids will be taught about Trumpmanding or Apolitical Machines or whatever.  I mean besides the blatant bribery that everyone knows about.

Also lol at the implication in your original point that we can identify campaign corruption by the other side trying to eliminate it.  Historically this kind of stuff benefits BOTH sides at the cost of democracy (by which I mean getting a candidate that represents the general beliefs of the electorate).  Gerrymandering can be used to give either side an advantage, yes, but if everyone is doing it the net effect is to increase the advantage of incumbents, which obviously benefits everyone currently in power.  Nepotism, political machines, ballot tampering, these things brought (and in some cases bring) improved election chances and/or a steady flow of cash to the people currently in power.  Its why no one in congress really cares that some diaper company can dump a gazillion dollars into some schmuck's campaign fund to have a congressman in their pocket.  As long as both sides are doing it, both sides benefit.  If they legislated against it, both parties would end up about even, and they would have to find somewhere else for their campaign funds to come from.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: August 13, 2015, 07:15:01 am »

You're so going to get hammered for spouting pseudo-cynical "Everyone is the same kind of rotten" crap that turns mainiac berserk...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 1342