Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1551571 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #2250 on: June 17, 2015, 05:43:39 pm »

Lincoln suspended habeas corpus. Maybe decent presidents just aren't a thing.

Suspension of habeas corpus is both legal and justified in the face of open rebellion (and invasion as well, but the US has never had to worry about that from a foreign power since the Constitution was written), particularly when Lincoln didn't DO anything to justify the rebellion in the first place. There is a legal argument over where the power to do so rests (the Supreme Court of the era, and the bulk of modern legal opinion agree that it belongs to Congress), but once Congress authorized it any question of legality vanished. One of the things that made Lincoln a superb president was how quickly he gave up those war powers once the rebellion was put down - he spent most of his time between Lee's surrender and his assassination pardoning the Confederate officials and soldiers, and the political jails were emptied quite quickly.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: June 17, 2015, 05:50:00 pm »

With the advent of the internet, let's just turn in to a direct democracy. Voting for state issues is held every friday, and federal ones at the end of the month. Big issues are voted on once a year, and certain flashpoint issues are decided when they come up. If not enough people vote, we assume they dont care and it's decided by simple majority. If say, most, citizens vote it's decided by super-majority.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: June 17, 2015, 05:54:41 pm »

Too easy to circumvent the process via technolgical intrusion. Not viable at this time. Need cheap quantum crypto first.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: June 17, 2015, 06:42:45 pm »

Also, have you seen the mess that is California's Ballot Initiatives?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: June 17, 2015, 08:09:22 pm »

Also, have you seen the mess that is California's Ballot Initiatives?

Not recently, no.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: June 17, 2015, 08:29:44 pm »

(and invasion as well, but the US has never had to worry about that from a foreign power since the Constitution was written)

Britain invaded the US in the War of 1812.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: June 17, 2015, 08:51:57 pm »

(and invasion as well, but the US has never had to worry about that from a foreign power since the Constitution was written)

Britain invaded the US in the War of 1812.

There were three such that I can recall off the top of my head - the attack on Washington D.C., the New Orleans Campaign, and an invasion of the Great Lakes region. The first was little more than a large-scale raid intended as retaliation for the US sacking Montreal (or was it Quebec?) during the failed invasion of Canada. The latter two were stopped decisively (at New Orleans and Fort Meigs respectively) fairly quickly - there was no need for martial law on any sort of large scale.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: June 17, 2015, 10:24:39 pm »

There were three such that I can recall off the top of my head - the attack on Washington D.C., the New Orleans Campaign, and an invasion of the Great Lakes region. The first was little more than a large-scale raid intended as retaliation for the US sacking Montreal (or was it Quebec?) during the failed invasion of Canada. The latter two were stopped decisively (at New Orleans and Fort Meigs respectively) fairly quickly - there was no need for martial law on any sort of large scale.

The attack on Washington DC was in retaliation for sacking York/Toronto/the-then-capital-of-(Lower)-Canada in a raid while the British forces were away doing... something. I forget what. As far as I'm aware the Americans never got far enough into Quebec to even threaten Montreal or Quebec City, since the roads between New England and Canada were terrible and they didn't have enough ships to travel a notable force up the St. Lawrence.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: June 17, 2015, 10:52:03 pm »

The attack on Washington DC was in retaliation for sacking York/Toronto/the-then-capital-of-(Lower)-Canada in a raid while the British forces were away doing... something. I forget what.

They were away fighting Napoleon? It's the right time period.....

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: June 17, 2015, 11:22:13 pm »

Peninsular Wars and the Blockade of mainland Europe.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: June 17, 2015, 11:36:34 pm »

Trump's running as a Republican but I think he'd also fit in in the Whig party (get it? :P)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: June 18, 2015, 12:11:47 am »

The attack on Washington DC was in retaliation for sacking York/Toronto/the-then-capital-of-(Lower)-Canada in a raid while the British forces were away doing... something. I forget what. As far as I'm aware the Americans never got far enough into Quebec to even threaten Montreal or Quebec City, since the roads between New England and Canada were terrible and they didn't have enough ships to travel a notable force up the St. Lawrence.

I always have trouble keeping the Canadian invasions during the Revolutionary War (where the US took Montreal but failed to take Quebec) and the one during the War of 1812. This isn't exactly the thread for the discussion, though.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: June 18, 2015, 01:29:59 am »

We should have just crowned George Washington king and been done with it when we had the chance. He wasn't perfect either, but at least people expect hereditary monarchs to do tyrannical stuff from time to time, the bar of good behavior is a lot lower.

But his denial to indulge in making himself king is the single best thing about George Washington!

Trump's running as a Republican but I think he'd also fit in in the Whig party (get it? :P)

:D
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: June 18, 2015, 05:06:45 am »

Eisenhower was transphobic and part of the patriarchy.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: June 18, 2015, 07:47:18 am »

Eisenhower was transphobic and part of the patriarchy.

Careful now, just because somebody is of an alternative sexuality does not mean they are magically good people.

Take for instance, J Edgar Hoover.  Guy was a closet transvestite (and possibly a homosexual, but I dont know that--Note, I dont really approve of the tone of the linked article- it's inflamatory and needlessly harsh towards being a transvestite. It does however, fully cover Hoover's actions.), but was so into getting dirt on other people that he routinely violated the law to do it.

I would rather have somebody that is squicked out by alternative sexualities, than somebody that thinks it is OK to do whatever the hell they want to, laws be damned.

The former can still be a "Good person", they are just easily grossed out. The latter? Pretty much a bad person regardless.

There's a difference between homo and transphobia (Fear or distrust of trans or homosexual people), and people who have unreasonable hatred for those groups. They are not completely synonymous.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 07:50:40 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 1342