Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1551090 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #2235 on: June 17, 2015, 02:29:56 pm »

I didn't think it was possible to be more ashamed to live in Steve King's district. Poor Bauglir. When will you learn?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: June 17, 2015, 02:49:44 pm »

I thought the Republicans had skewed to hardcore Evangelical Protestantism. Surely this is just more proof to them that the Pope is the Great Satan?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: June 17, 2015, 03:13:29 pm »

... As one of the forums resident Republicans, I am watching the Primaries evolve with... I don't know how I feel. Trump interests me in that he seems to have the confidence and gusto that other politicians seem to lack. He's about as graceless as a rock, but at this point the rock is looking more appealing than the alternatives.

When in living memory has there ever been a Republican candidate that was more appealing than a rock? I don't think we've had a decent Republican since Lincoln.

EDIT:
Modern politics have actually convinced me that Caligula was not insane. If Rome's politicians were anything like ours han a horse would make a better senator than most.

*ahem*

Teddy Roosevelt
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:21:18 pm by smjjames »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: June 17, 2015, 03:19:43 pm »

smjjames did ask for Presidents "in living memory".  I know the Internet can't get enough of the Teddy taste, but anybody who could remember even when Roosevelt left office would today be at least a hundred and ten years old.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: June 17, 2015, 03:20:49 pm »

smjjames did ask for Presidents "in living memory".  I know the Internet can't get enough of the Teddy taste, but anybody who could remember even when Roosevelt left office would today be at least a hundred and ten years old.

Lol, I was responding to the second part of that sentence. Maybe I should have bolded for emphasis......

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: June 17, 2015, 03:21:50 pm »

... there's still people alive that remember teddy? They'd have to be at least a 114 years old... which, I mean. There's a small few (going by the wikipedia page on old people, at least seven that are still kicking and 114 or older), so he counts.

Lincoln definitely doesn't count, though. Living memory is a pretty specific term, and I'm fairly sure there's no one still kicking that was alive in 1861.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:24:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: June 17, 2015, 03:26:46 pm »

What about Eisenhower? I realize that much of his legacy comes from WWII, but according to wikipedia, he's pretty decent.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: June 17, 2015, 03:46:58 pm »

What about Eisenhower? I realize that much of his legacy comes from WWII, but according to wikipedia, he's pretty decent.

His legacy as President was overall pretty great too.  Managed to negotiate an end to the Korean War that didn't involve a nuclear exchange, kept a lot of potential conflicts from growing into real ones (not surprising for his background), presided over one of America's biggest economic recoveries and channeled it into building a ton of national infrastructure, founded NASA...

Pity his criticism of the 'military-industrial-complex' didn't amount to actually trying to control it, along with largely spurring the Cold War into the shape it became.  Also kind of a fair-weather proponent of civil rights, but hardly an enemy of it either.

Funny how much he differs from the modern Republican party as a whole.  Then again, even in 1952, we was basically drafted into running to unseat Truman, and was never particularly well-liked by his fellow Republican politicians.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: June 17, 2015, 04:24:40 pm »

I'm reminding you all once again that Donald Trump's hair is real. Supposedly he pays 10K a year to maintain it.

...With what, baby tears?

(also it is a comb-over, right?)
Love, scriver~

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: June 17, 2015, 04:51:23 pm »

Eisenhower was the one who overthrew the democratically elected Iranian government back in 1959. I would not call that decent by any standards.

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2245 on: June 17, 2015, 04:55:30 pm »

*Puts down his lantern and sighs theatrically*

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: June 17, 2015, 05:15:21 pm »

Eisenhower was the one who overthrew the democratically elected Iranian government back in 1959. I would not call that decent by any standards.

Oh right, that little episode.  Dammit Ike, I try to stick up for you and then there's this shit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: June 17, 2015, 05:27:09 pm »

... so should we expand the contention to all comers, or just agree that the only appropriate thing to do with a US president is shove them in a box, toss the box in a peat bog, and set the whole thing on fire?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: June 17, 2015, 05:33:45 pm »

Lincoln suspended habeas corpus. Maybe decent presidents just aren't a thing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: June 17, 2015, 05:37:39 pm »

Lincoln suspended habeas corpus. Maybe decent presidents just aren't a thing.

We should have just crowned George Washington king and been done with it when we had the chance.  He wasn't perfect either, but at least people expect hereditary monarchs to do tyrannical stuff from time to time, the bar of good behavior is a lot lower.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1342