Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1551513 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #2265 on: June 18, 2015, 07:51:35 am »

Eisenhower was transphobic and part of the patriarchy.

Pfft, the patriarchy would include all of the presidents up to Obama.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: June 18, 2015, 07:55:39 am »

Shhh no tears only Trump now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: June 18, 2015, 07:56:04 am »

Except Obama is male, so-- still patriarchy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: June 18, 2015, 07:58:52 am »

Except Obama is male, so-- still patriarchy.

Up to also means including. :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: June 18, 2015, 08:04:22 am »

Just so you know, I especially despise that term. (Patriarchy, as used by radical feminism)

I am asexual, and may as well have no gender. I could have a horribly disfiguring accident that literally cuts my junk off, and I would not feel even the slightest bit less of a person over it.  Yet, because I have meat and two veg instead of a heart shaped box, if I ran for president and won, I would be part of "The problem! (spooky sounds)".

Radicalism; It blinds you to being reasonable, by logical exclusion. Ranting about "Patriarchy! Oh noes!" is not reasonable. Please dont invent generic boogey men and blame all your problems on them.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: June 18, 2015, 08:18:17 am »

I am asexual

Hates women so much won't even sleep with them. PATRIARCHY CONFIRMED

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: June 18, 2015, 08:18:42 am »

Meat and two veg instead of a heart shaped box? Not sure what those are euphemisms for. Besides, it was maniac who said it, not me (okay I used it in response, but still).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: June 18, 2015, 08:22:08 am »

Just so you know, I especially despise that term. (Patriarchy, as used by radical feminism)

I am asexual, and may as well have no gender. I could have a horribly disfiguring accident that literally cuts my junk off, and I would not feel even the slightest bit less of a person over it.  Yet, because I have meat and two veg instead of a heart shaped box, if I ran for president and won, I would be part of "The problem! (spooky sounds)".

Radicalism; It blinds you to being reasonable, by logical exclusion. Ranting about "Patriarchy! Oh noes!" is not reasonable. Please dont invent generic boogey men and blame all your problems on them.

Do you realise that "the patriarchy", when used by feminists as opposed to people trying to discredit feminists, usually doesn't refer to actual people who happen to be male?
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: June 18, 2015, 08:24:21 am »

I am asexual

I would laugh, if I hadn't actually been subjected to that accusation before.

SMJJames:

Of all the absurd euphemisms used to describe genitalia, those ones are the ones that confuse you? (Joke)

Scriver:

Patriarchy, the original word, literally means "Governance by elder males."  Modern feminism has taken this term and redefined it L Ron Hubbard style, into a boogey man.  It now represents some conspiratorial secret chauvinist society BENT on the degradation of women-- or something. Without the implication that "Leadership by old men == defacto subjugation of women", the use of the term becomes nonsensical to their campaign.  Note, when referred to, it is given the pronoun "The", as in "The Patriarchy."  Much like saying "The Masons" or "The Communists."  (or "The Terrorists!") It's a boogey man.

I can see being against male chauvinism. But call it chauvinism. Clearly deliniate that one can be male, and even be attracted to women, and NOT be a chauvinist. But don't go using loaded language, and certainly dont go screaming about boogey men.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 08:32:57 am by wierd »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: June 18, 2015, 08:27:59 am »

I am asexual

I would laugh, if I hadn't actually been subjected to that accusation before.

SMJJames:

Of all the absurd euphemisms used to describe genitalia, those ones are the ones that confuse you? (Joke)

Actually, I think I get them now. I just haven't heard of those particular euphemisms used before and 'heart shaped box' threw me off more than the other two, but yeah I'm getting it now. Bit slow morning brain and all that.

Also, let's avoid the feminism subject because we all know how flammable the subject is.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 08:29:39 am by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: June 18, 2015, 08:40:08 am »

True, I was just mentioning how I personally despise that word, because of how "Loaded" it is.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: June 18, 2015, 10:46:59 am »

It now represents some conspiratorial secret chauvinist society BENT on the degradation of women-- or something.
Definitely "or something". Everybody I know who's used the word seriously uses it to refer to a strong cultural trend toward double standards for men and women, making it a poor choice of word based on etymology but little worse than that. Stuff like the ol' "Guy who sleeps with tons of girls is a stud, girl who sleeps with tons of dudes is a slut" sort of thing, to pick the most obvious one. There's no Betesticled Cabal sitting around in frat house basements scheming to get women to make more sandwiches or anything, any more than there's a secret council of the wealthy scheming to keep the poor from getting uppity.

Although I'm sure there are people who do see it as you describe, I wouldn't take them particularly seriously. They represent feminism about as effectively as the Westboro Baptist Church represents Christians.

How did this even come up in this thread, though? It's almost as if some jackass tried to derail it for no adequately explained reason.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: June 18, 2015, 11:07:30 am »

Again, that's chauvinism. There is no need to pilfer a perfectly useful word like Patriarchy, unless you explicitly want to draw attention to testicles. Specifically, Old testicles, that are in charge of running government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauvinism#Male_chauvinism

In either case, they have either stolen a word L Ron Hubbard style without any real cause to do so, or they have invented a boogey man to blame all their problems on.

Both cases are bad. I hate that word used that way.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: June 18, 2015, 11:52:37 am »

Guys, lets end this derail..... I don't have anything against neccesarily discussing it, just that it's both offtopic and the whole subject has a tendency to go up in flames.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: June 18, 2015, 12:01:47 pm »

yeah, please contain Gender to the locked threads
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1342