Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549109 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1620 on: April 22, 2015, 02:08:24 pm »

There's a whole word for that, actually, though I've forgotten what it is. Rule by random allotment is one of those proposed governance systems you occasionally hear talked about. There's even the rare implementation on smaller-scale stuff -- I've heard it used in factory work and whatnot, iirc, shuffling managers/PR folks/etc. at random, with something like group veto or impeachment options if the critter thrown into the lion's maw buggers up too badly.

Conceptually, if you're dealing with a population that is at least roughly meet the same minimums in regards to qualification and vested interest, and you've got some means of post-ascension quality control, you can just throw some random tosser in charge and it'll turn out decently enough (on the net, if not on any particular term). Don't recall anyone's trying it on a large scale, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1621 on: April 22, 2015, 02:32:26 pm »

I remember reading about how the city of Florence did that.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: April 22, 2015, 02:49:32 pm »

The Athenians also used random machines to determine office holders for the bulk of duties. But they usually served in groups, to avoid issues with appointing incompetent people to important roles.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1623 on: April 22, 2015, 03:19:56 pm »

Yeah, the Florentines did too.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: April 22, 2015, 04:14:53 pm »

That was basically the entire conception of democracy starting in Greek times until very recently. Voting, according to Aristotle in Politics, is oligarchic. Of course, that doesn't make it right, since they were city states with different logistical challenges.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: April 22, 2015, 04:34:12 pm »

This is more state politics, or at least it was until recently. Now the Supreme Court may be getting involved.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/04/20/wisconsin-home-invasions-walkers-supporters-targeted-by-democratic-prosecutors-column/26081903/

Note: I do not share the above article's opinions on Putin, but it does illustrate the point.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/417155/wisconsins-shame-i-thought-it-was-home-invasion-david-french

Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1626 on: April 22, 2015, 04:40:47 pm »

I can't say I'm not a little surprised. It just goes to show how effective internet "walled gardens" are. You only see the news you're likely to like... or, rather, read.

This seems to be from early May. I'm looking for reference on this having to do with Democrats and it seems mainly to be a police thing. There is a lot of stuff here about the events themselves, but precious little about the larger context.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:04:14 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: April 22, 2015, 05:00:55 pm »

Note that both those stories are questionable - National Review makes Fox News look left-wing, and Glenn Reynolds (the author of the USA Today guest editorial) is a rabid anarchist and individualist - one of his hobbyhorses is banning subsidized student loans on the grounds that poor people don't go to college because they're too lazy, not because they can't afford it.

The raid that opens the article -the only one where National Review gives any way to fact-check the situation- involved an investigation into allegations that she was running an astroturfing campaign for Walker on government time (while doing none of her actual work) and other corruption charges, such as moving to another job while collecting sick leave from her government job.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: April 22, 2015, 05:07:59 pm »

That was basically the entire conception of democracy starting in Greek times until very recently. Voting, according to Aristotle in Politics, is oligarchic. Of course, that doesn't make it right, since they were city states with different logistical challenges.

Well, if you only allow a small portion of your male populace to vote, like the Greeks did in their form of "democracy", of course it would be oligarchic.
Love, scriver~

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: April 22, 2015, 05:08:20 pm »

Note that both those stories are questionable - National Review makes Fox News look left-wing, and Glenn Reynolds (the author of the USA Today guest editorial) is a rabid anarchist and individualist - one of his hobbyhorses is banning subsidized student loans on the grounds that poor people don't go to college because they're too lazy, not because they can't afford it.

The raid that opens the article -the only one where National Review gives any way to fact-check the situation- involved an investigation into allegations that she was running an astroturfing campaign for Walker on government time (while doing none of her actual work) and other corruption charges, such as moving to another job while collecting sick leave from her government job.

This whole thing is fishy as fuck.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2014/jun/12/scott-walker/wisconsin-law-prohibits-anyone-who-knows-about-sec/

Edit:

Well, if you only allow a small portion of your male populace to vote, like the Greeks did in their form of "democracy", of course it would be oligarchic.
The U.S. is pretty damn oligarchic anyway, m8.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: April 23, 2015, 05:54:01 pm »

But if you select lots from a small portion of your male populace, it's democratic? My point still stands: Representative democracy, voting as a democracy, is new concept, while lots are very old indeed. Of course, the Greeks used a literal version of words we use: Democracy means everyone, Monarchy means one, and oligarchy is somewhere between everyone and one (thus, by definition, all representative governments are oligarchies). Aristocracy was also used, but it isn't really used we use it as (we usually mean hereditary oligarchy): Plato considers Aristocracy to be the highest form of government, while Oligarchy is placed third (democracy punches in 4th in his judgement, beating out only Tyranny). Plato defined Aristocracy to be merit-based rulers.

The Greeks were strange people from a modern perspective.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: April 23, 2015, 11:23:50 pm »

Democracy doesn't mean everyone.  Democracy means rule by the demoi, the citizen class.  Remember that before very recently citizenship was in no way supposed to be a default thing or universal.  You could be a free member of a society with generations of tie to where you live and not be a citizen.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: April 25, 2015, 11:44:38 am »

http://www.vox.com/2015/4/24/8489065/politics-negative-partisanship-fear

Politics isn't about who you love. It's about who you fear.

That's the upshot of a draft paper by political scientists Alan Abramowitz and Steven Webster that attempts to untangle a mystery about modern American politics: how can there be record levels of party loyalty and straight-ticket voting at the same time that fewer Americans than ever before are identifying as Republicans and Democrats?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spread the hate.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: April 25, 2015, 04:24:15 pm »

Well that's just the republicans fault.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: April 25, 2015, 05:59:40 pm »

I blame minorities.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 1342