Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549074 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1650 on: April 28, 2015, 12:47:12 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: April 28, 2015, 01:48:07 pm »

What I don't understand is why the response to police brutality is to burn down things completely unrelated to the police. I mean, if they were attacking the police station or something it would make sense in a way, but I don't see how victims of police brutality are avenged when the local pharmacy is looted or McDonalds is burnt down.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1652 on: April 28, 2015, 01:59:26 pm »

It's because it's all run by The Man, I think, and trashing buildings is a problem for The Man, so he has to fix the police, or you'll carrying on trashing random people's livelihoods.

It's kind of holding the whole city hostage, except with more collateral damage. As far as I know. It's sickening, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1653 on: April 28, 2015, 02:00:22 pm »

Eh, I can sympathize. If I was being brutalized by the police and people were just standing about and watching, I'd be tempted to do a lot worse than just burn their shit down.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: April 28, 2015, 02:11:15 pm »

I don't really think you can claim that the 7/11 in one part of Baltimore is complicit because, in a completely different part of Baltimore, some cops murdered a guy. Anyhow, even if that's the case, does it make any sense to go after bystanders before going after the guilty?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: April 28, 2015, 02:13:24 pm »

There's also the notion that rioting will *draw* police out to respond, so you can attack them directly.
What's fucked up is that they're also attacking other first responders like firefighters who don't exactly have a history of..umm...firefighter brutality?

Riots like this don't help, because they just give a large segment of the American population -- already uncomfortable with the issues this raises -- an easy out.
"Well damn, just look at that! No wonder the police have to be tough..."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: April 28, 2015, 02:14:49 pm »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:52:42 pm by penguinofhonor »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1657 on: April 28, 2015, 02:22:09 pm »

The ideal response would be some sort of nonviolent protest. That's crazy hard to organize, though.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: April 28, 2015, 02:26:59 pm »

Well, this is more like a blind explosion of rage, it doesn't really have a good reason.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: April 28, 2015, 02:29:59 pm »

Yeah, this is not reasoning behavior. This is what happens when a society demonstrates that it doesn't really give a fuck about reasoning behavior. Rioters are responsible for their own behavior, sure, but that's not where the train of responsibility ends.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: April 28, 2015, 02:32:07 pm »

The ideal response would be some sort of nonviolent protest. That's crazy hard to organize, though.

It's also the opposite of how a group who feels like they're being systematically executed is likely to respond, given enough constant sources of aggravation. I don't approve of rioting and indiscriminately destroying other people's property. But to the same extent, people can only take so much before they lash out with the same violence they're being subjected to.

Put another way, if the skin tones were different I think we'd still be seeing riots, one way or another.

Yeah, this is not reasoning behavior. This is what happens when a society demonstrates that it doesn't really give a fuck about reasoning behavior. Rioters are responsible for their own behavior, sure, but that's not where the train of responsibility ends.

I'd argue if society doesn't move to stop injustices like these, it can be just as culpable. If people wring their hands and say "oh how terrible" but do not muster the political will to change it, I don't know if the protestors are entirely wrong for being angry at society too.

Note, that doesn't mean I approve of rioting and randomly attacking people and businesses.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: April 28, 2015, 03:18:12 pm »

What I don't understand is why the response to police brutality is to burn down things completely unrelated to the police. I mean, if they were attacking the police station or something it would make sense in a way, but I don't see how victims of police brutality are avenged when the local pharmacy is looted or McDonalds is burnt down.
If you have the at-present forethought to decide "I'm going to target only the police station!" you're probably not going to engage in a riot. Most non-riot protests DO revolve around the police station or courthouse or whoever is responsible, remember Occupy Wall-Street? Forethought and emotion don't tend to go too well together when emotion is high, and a riot is a very emotional discharge.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 03:32:09 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: April 28, 2015, 04:01:13 pm »

I think this communicates the feeling these folks have pretty well.
Yeah. Yeah, it does. I'm not in favor of violence, and I don't think "they started it" is a valid defense of anything, but the way it's being spun here is too much as a defense of an absolutely monstrous status quo, a subtle call for black people to lie back down and let the boots get back to kicking.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: April 28, 2015, 04:04:39 pm »

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:48:09 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 1342