Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544240 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #450 on: February 20, 2015, 01:31:09 pm »

tl;dr:

The US isn't so much the world police as it is the world heavily-armed homeowner's association.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:35:04 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 20, 2015, 02:13:13 pm »

tl;dr

The US isn't so much the world police as it is the world heavily-armed homeowner's association.

And baw gawd you will mow down those brownies that lawn!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 20, 2015, 02:32:26 pm »

The silliest part is that most of these theories present foreign leaders like supervillains from Marvel or DC comics who only live to blow stuff up and destabilize their regions. Here's the real deal: people like their region to be stable, and it's external powers who come in and destabilize shit because they don't give a fuck.

Spoken like a Latverian sympathizer.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 20, 2015, 02:38:52 pm »

Doom?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 20, 2015, 03:04:18 pm »

Spoken like a Latverian sympathizer.
Better Doom than Dem. As should be obvious, this is a joke.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 20, 2015, 06:34:16 pm »

Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 20, 2015, 11:59:59 pm »

Chomsky notes the term "stability" in US media actually means "US influence is strong here" regardless of how stable things are. And the term "destabilizing" is in fact used any time US power is diminished in a region, including when regions that previously needed US presense to keep the peace start getting along too well. e.g. Venezuela or Iran giving gifts to neighboring countries to boost relations, has been described as "destabilizing" in US media, whereas American toppling governments and causing wars is always described as "improving stability".

It's funny that given how utterly unconcerned with people's lives the US is the more "stable" in the US views get, the fewer people die.

It's also funny how a linguist like Chomsky is downright Orwellian in his use of creeping language.  American foreign policy has dickish elements becomes American policy is completely apathetic to American foreign policy is completely inhumane.  The man is a liar, plain and simple.  I remember his movie was a dark comedy, a terrifying example of how someone's ideals corrupted him.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 21, 2015, 12:04:21 am »

This is an English forum btw. I'm not really sure what language you're speaking because none of what you wrote makes sense grammatically, semantically or logically. Did a monkey jump on your typewriter?

It's funny that given how utterly unconcerned with people's lives the US is the more "stable" in the US views get, the fewer people die.

Few people die because of US foreign policy you're saying? So stability as the west sees it is valid? It's really hard to decipher what you're intending to say. Though if that is a correct assessment there are numerous counter-examples. For instance, Bush held up Uribe-era Colombia as a force for stability and a model democracy in Latin America, when they in fact threaten and bomb their neighboring countries, have an insanely violent secret police, and have the worst human rights record of any post-2000 Latin American nation. They lead the world in murders of trade union members. Like, literally lead the world: many years, more than 50% of worldwide murders of trade union representatives are in Colombia. But they're a "democratizing force for stability" because they suck GW Bush dick. They get $1 billion a year in US military aid and were actively encouraged to pick fights with neighboring countries because that promotes US interests. Their terrible human rights record isn't even an issue.

It's also funny how a linguist like Chomsky is downright Orwellian in his use of creeping language

Example?

The man is a liar, plain and simple.

You should have ample examples then.

I remember his movie was a dark comedy, a terrifying example of how someone's ideals corrupted him.

Which film exactly? As far as I can tell there have been 2-3 interview films and docos he appeared in since 1990. No actual "movie".
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:25:52 am by Reelya »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #458 on: February 21, 2015, 12:11:06 am »

Yeah, you might want to go over that again.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 21, 2015, 12:29:38 am »

From what I've seen most blatant "Chomsky is nothing but a liar!!1!!!" stuff is just from people who don't want to hear what he has to say, but they can't actually back up their opposition with and sort of credible citations.

Chomsky's basic message is a no-brainer: people lie to you in the media because of who owns the media. No shit, right? FOX News is just the extreme example. You find the same type of yellow journalism everywhere if you do your research. The main difference is that FOX is bullshit for domestic politics and other corporate media outlets are bullshit about US foreign policy.

Let me give you an example:

everyone hears that Hugo Chavez caused high inflation in Venezuela. That's a common US media story that was repeated constantly while Chavez was president of Venezuela. But ... this is at odds with physical reality, since the Chavez years were a low point in Venezuelan inflation. His predescessors and successors both have much higher inflation than he did during his 14 years as president. Of course, if you follow American media you won't believe me. But it's as simple as googling the data. Every actual source agrees: inflation was much lower during Chavez. The media has constantly told you the opposite though for 14 years so you believe the Chavez = inflation meme instead of looking at the data.

This is proof of what Chomsky claims about how the media operates. They constantly repeat an easily disproved talking point, that just happens to line up with hawkish foreign policy. Whether it's true or not doesn't even register in this, they tell you whatever they need to tell you to shape your thinking on an issue.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:42:17 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 21, 2015, 12:35:54 am »

I don't hate Chomsky as much as most do (holding to a fairly left-libertarian viewpoint will do that), but I don't think there's any denying he's degraded in quality. When your criticisms of America become reminiscent of Micheal Moore's something has gone very wrong.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 21, 2015, 12:43:54 am »

I haven't read his recent stuff, can you point me to some examples of this?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 21, 2015, 08:35:40 am »

You... don't happen to be talking about this guy are you?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 21, 2015, 12:17:48 pm »

Chomsky's basic message is a no-brainer: people lie to you in the media because of who owns the media. No shit, right? FOX News is just the extreme example. You find the same type of yellow journalism everywhere if you do your research. The main difference is that FOX is bullshit for domestic politics and other corporate media outlets are bullshit about US foreign policy.

Let me give you an example:

You example of how Chomsky is not a liar is pointing out that other people are liars.

Which is the entire goddamn point with Chomsky.  He first claimed credance for his own lies by correctly pointing out that other people lied.  And then he calls you part of a system for not accepting his lies.

The movie I was thinking of was manufacturing consent.  Utter dreck.  Not all lies are propoganda.  Not all lies are intentional.  He projects malice upon everyone everywhere and the world will be a better place when that useless sack of lies dies.  He tells comfortable half truths to people and replaces the impulse for critical thought with groupthink and has them congratulation themselves on groupthink in another direction.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:20:08 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 21, 2015, 01:31:43 pm »

Mainiac, my impression has been that's how you feel about anyone who thinks negatively of the dominant political/economic establishment.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 1342