Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: BM Sprint 3: Thick as Thieves - Game Over - Town Victory  (Read 25546 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: BM Sprint 3: Thick as Thieves - Day -1: The First Hanging
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2015, 11:51:48 pm »

everyone: Who are you most suspicious of at present?

Everyone, for various reasons.
Let's try this on for size.
Scripten for ignoring questions, not even acknowledging some of them, and then attempting to shift the focus away. Perfectly understandable if you answer the question (or at least say 'I'm not answering because X) and then try to question people, but completely ignoring them is not a good look.

DarkStar is probably my prime suspect at the moment, the reasons are more detailed in a post on page 5 if you want to take a look at it.

Hector is quite... I don't even know how to put it into words, he just makes me a bit cautious.

Supercharazad obviously for lurking.

Deus for overly quick finger-pointing.

Dani for lurking, once again. Also, apparently extremely eager to change votes. (Though they unvoted me to keep me away from being at an L-1 state. I'm not sure how to look at that action since there are both good and bad reasons for it.)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2015, 12:17:31 am »

I should explain in this instance why I'm voting for Scripten.

Scripten is asking questions, yes, but they're not questions that would reveal anything useful to the town with the answer:

hector13: Why did you ask Deus is he was worried about being killed? What use would you get out of answers to that question?

Can you first explain why a town player would want advice on how to play scum?

Further, Scripten hasn't answered any of my questions to him, or when they do, it's with another question:

I would like to point out that DarkStar and Scripten, as the two most experience (I think) players in the game, do seem quick to either vote for or suspect UXLZ for trying to learn how to play.
And then we get this bit here from hector13, which is quite notable in that it directly conflicts with his earlier post in which HE is suspecting UXLZ. Playing both sides of the fence, hector13?

note also, that in that instance my initial question wasn't quoted by Scripten:

What is different enough in this instance to warrant the suggestion that UXLZ is scum because of that?

Last but not least, his accusation of UXLZ and I being scumbuddies:

You do seem to be trying quite hard to appear as town, UXLZ.

Not enough for me to want to vote for you, yet, but in saying that you are one vote away from having a majority against you. Perhaps you have concerns about another player you'd like to voice to convince me they're more likely to be scum than you?

This looks more like a scumbuddy trying to tell their partner to shape up. Could also possibly be scum trying to buddy mislynch bait to get towncred after a flip.

Definitely doesn't feel like town, though.

Also noteworthy is that thus far hector13 is the only person to actually answer one of those questions rather than responding with 'You're talking/asking about scum? You must be scum!' Make of that what you will.

And a very interesting response to the coaching/buddying attempt from UXLZ.

Now, having read through some other beginner Mafia games on Bay12, I know that the scum players have scumchat, basically their own private chat-room away from the game to coordinate... whatever they need to coordinate.

Thus, why, in the name of the Wee Man, would any of the scum be so utterly f***ing stupid as to correct their buddy in the game!? It literally would serve no purpose that couldn't be served - absolutely risk-free I might add - in the scumchat.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2015, 01:37:19 am »

UXLZ:

Spoiler: "Reply to UXLZ" (click to show/hide)

hector13:

Spoiler: "Reply to hector13" (click to show/hide)

I have put my replies into spoilers. We're getting some really long walls going on here, which can cause people to become apathetic about the game, which is anti-town. We don't want people just skimming through posts and missing important information. Therefore, I would suggest only replying to the parts of posts that are most important from here on out. I'll try to cut down my post size as well.

Unvote TheDarkStar
Vote hector13

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2015, 02:40:16 am »

Hmm... I'll spoiler things, then.

The circle is complete.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2015, 03:18:32 am »

Empty statement. Prove it.

hector13: Why did you ask Deus is he was worried about being killed? What use would you get out of answers to that question?
Can you first explain why a town player would want advice on how to play scum?

The answers to those questions should be obvious: they're trying to find out something about the other players. That's not helpful to the town.

Can you explain to me why you are so insulted by the very idea that you might be coaching another player when you have a private scumchat elsewhere from which to coordinate?

Because it would serve no purpose to coach here, in the game, beyond making both parties appear scummy. I'm not insulted, I just don't think anyone is that utterly stupid.

Hesistant to vote because one vote isn't much pressure. Unfortunately it was UXLZ who pointed this out...

Also vis a vis the OMGUS, I'm doing to you exactly what you were trying to do to UXLZ: Put pressure on you to discover your alignment. While you get information from UXLZ from your pressure, I get information about you from mine. Equally so, UXLZ's reaction to my pressure of you in this instance is useful. You also weren't suspecting me, you were suspecting him. I was pressuring you, and voted for you because you weren't responding.

Of note is the fact you didn't respond to anything until I voted for you. Perhaps coincidence, but noteworthy nonetheless.

Evidently my questions to you are... too vague. I was wondering why you were suspicious of UXLZ, rather than why you were questioning him. Inexperience on my part, perhaps.

And also you did answer his question so ah... sorry. Evidently it's a bad idea to read stuff when you should be sleeping.

Scripten: What, in your mind, what would the mindset of a scum in a sprint game be, as opposed to a regular game?
The scum mentality should remain roughly the same.

unvote

At least I'm trying to scumhunt. The same cannot be said for others.

DarkStar has only put pressure on UXLZ, following Scripten's line of questioning, and then nothing since. Has been active on bay12, though. Not sure what to read into that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2015, 05:30:40 am »

Hector, you never answered my question adequately. Who do you suspect, and why do you suspect them?

To answer the question as to who I suspect most, it's currently Hector for ignoring my questions. As well as that, he changed his vote immediately when questioned on it, and flipped to Scripten with no real reasoning as far as I could see, and then when Scripten made the slightest hint of an attack on you by questioning you, you flip to DarkStar for not posting enough.

You seem to be flipflopping all over the place, why?

Dani

• Bay Watcher
  • Monstrous Nun
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2015, 07:14:49 am »

Supercharazad, you really aren't going to talk about anyone other than hector? Just going to silently hop onto the heaviest hype train? The lack of Deus, DarkStar's quick in-and-out, the interaction between Scripten and UXLZ, my overtly casual attempt to duck under everyone's suspicions? Same goes for Deus Asmoth. He makes one post on a tangent and runs off.

In any case, hector v. Scripten (+ UXLZ) is far more interesting.

About my non-answer to UXLZ's question: I like being unhelpful with those kinds of questions, ever since an experience in my first game.
A creature of habit.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2015, 07:36:23 am »

On a side note, I'd swear it's been a day already.
The circle is complete.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2015, 09:53:25 am »

Other people are pursuing other people, I'm pursuing the person who I see as most suspicious. Besides, I hardly hopped onto the train considering I was the first to vote and suspect him.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2015, 11:07:27 am »

The air was heavy with acrimony as the day's end drew closer... who would be marked as the traitor?

Vote Tally
Deus Asmoth
Dani
UXLZ - [1] TheDarkStar
Supercharazad
hector13 - [3] Supercharazad, Deus Asmoth, Scripten
Scripten
TheDarkStar - [2] UXLZ, Hector

Not voting: Dani

Day ends at 5.40pm GMT, in an hour and a half.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:30:11 pm by notquitethere »

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2015, 11:15:41 am »

UXLZ:

And that's a very useless statement. I appreciate that you're saying things that cast me in a better light (and yourself, which hasn't slipped notice) than earlier but I thought we were cutting out the needless things?

Useless? Not at all. Getting town reads is important, because not everyone else in the game is scum. Sometimes, process of elimination (PoE) is the only way to go, especially later in the game when red herrings have been eliminated.

Ah, so what you're saying is that he's trying to get on good terms with me, and then when I'm mis-lynched claim he was on my side defending me and therefore town?
I know that I'm acting in a way that makes me easy to push a lynch on, but playing too cautiously will lead to a town defeat 95% of the time. A town that doesn't act is a town that loses.

Exactly. Though, my main observation was not that you were playing terribly (it is a newbie game, after all, so learning is to be expected) but rather that you had the biggest wagon on you and the most suspicion being cast your way.

It wasn't so much putting weight on merely answering questions, it was more that you attempted to use the questions I was asking to cast suspicion on me due to the content of those questions (being about scum).

Two things to note about this. Firstly, it was not only the content of your post (that is, talking about scum is not scummy) that was suspicious. It was that your questions were with regard to mechanics rather than content in this game and that their tone was... awkward. Mafia is a logical game, but sometimes you have to follow your hunches and pursue a player just because they just don't feel right.

Yes, I'd say it was chainsaw defending, but he was also bringing up fairly legitimate points. Also, while not answering questions in the RQS stage isn't inherently scummy as you say, refusing to answer those questions and then using them to FoS or vote for someone, while also not inherently scummy, is highly more suspect. Personally, it wasn't that you (or DarkStar) refused to answer the questions that I found suspicious, it was the attempt to reverse all the attention onto me that was strange.

Careful. Think about it like this: Were your posts casting suspicion on other players? If not, would a player suspecting you based on those questions REALLY be "reversing" suspicions as has been brought forward?

Do you see where I'm getting at with the concept of OMGUS and motivation?

I still don't like this whole 'pressure' idea. It seems quite useless. Only inexperienced players would crack so easily.

It's not exactly to make them "crack" and have a mental break, but to make them nervous and push them to slip up more often. This works on almost any player, regardless of experience. You just have to be looking out for different things with different players.

Mod: I am currently voting for hector13.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2015, 11:46:06 am »

Ok, I've finally gotten around to posting. Posting requirements are generally a bit more relaxed during the weekend when people post less.

Dani and Deus Asmoth: What do you think of the current events? Who do you think is scummy? You two haven't posted much recently, and Dani hasn't voted.

hector13: Why are you pressure voting me to get me to post more when you say that you suspect both Deus and Scripten? Why did you unvote Scripten after explaining why you thought he was so scummy?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2015, 12:17:37 pm »

Most of my basis for that was through not answering a question, and that proved to be hugely unfounded, hence the unvote.

I only mentioned 3 players who I thought were scummy at that point, and had been focusing (erroneously) on Scripten. I looked through the rest of the thread to see who hadn't really done much. I could just as easily have voted for Dani or Supercharazad for the same reasons I'm voting for you, DarkStar. I chose to vote them because their questioning wasn't original (they were following Scripten). As Scripten pointed out, I'm reticent to use my vote. I didn't think it would put much pressure on people to get them to talk. Hence the flip-flopping. The vote isn't actual of value, from my perspective, until the deadline.

You were the first to vote for me, Charazad, but you put minimal pressure on me, and appeared to stop after Scripten suggested in his IC-ese that my answer was reasonable. (that lynching town isn't necessarily a bad thing on day 1) I think the only thing of value I've done at this point is make Scripten appear more town, which I s'pose is better than nothing (assuming that they actually are town)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2015, 12:54:13 pm »

John Butcher was a highwayman by trade, good dishonest work and wasn't going to take these insinuations as to his character.

"There's no way I could impeach any of yers, you maggot-pated jingle brained cully cony bully-fops!" cried out the highwayman in a stream of invective cant, "there's the kings ransom on me head and you all know it!"

"I've a mind to prove this!" replied one of the others, grabbing Butcher by his arms while another grabbed his legs. Together they hauled him to a tavern frequented by a renowned thief-taker. Right enough, there was a warrant out for butcher which hadn't been commuted. There was no way he was the traitor. However, to find this out, they had to hand him in and by that point the poor John was as good as hanged...

Hector13 was lynched. Hector13 was a regular townie.

The gang split up and some time later met back at Tyburn square for the next hanging day. There was their hapless highwayman friend being fitted for the noose. And who was that standing next to him? Jack Splinters! Their smuggler associate had been impeached by two unknown gangmembers for helping flood the city with duty free gin. The thieves made their way straight to the garrett: with two traitors still in their midst, time was running out.

Deus Asmoth has been night killed. Deus Asmoth was a regular townie.

Day 2 - Hard Words and Sharp Blades

The wardrobe and bed were piled against the door. Swords were drawn as the five stood in a circle. There wouldn't be any taking to the courts or hangings from now: the traitor was to die by their fellows hands...

Vote Tally
Dani
UXLZ
Supercharazad
Scripten
TheDarkStar

Not voting: Dani, UXLZ, Supercharazad, Scripten, TheDarkStar

The day will end in 48 hours: Tuesday 13, 6pm GMT (on my birthday)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:58:03 pm by notquitethere »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2015, 01:07:04 pm »

We're now at LyLo (Lynch-or-Lose), meaning that we HAVE to lynch scum today or we lose.

-Longer post with analysis of the first day later today-

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13