Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: BM Sprint 3: Thick as Thieves - Game Over - Town Victory  (Read 25553 times)

Dani

• Bay Watcher
  • Monstrous Nun
    • View Profile
Re: BM Sprint 3: Thick as Thieves - Day -1: The First Hanging
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2015, 12:29:53 am »

I'll be back when I've cleared my head.
A creature of habit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2015, 12:50:11 am »

hector13:

So, the short answer would probably be "not long after someone put pressure on me".

Read: "I will pretend that I crack under pressure easily so that other players do not examine me too closely."
Or an honest description of what I think might happen.

It's easily tested of course.

You do seem to be trying quite hard to appear as town, UXLZ.

Not enough for me to want to vote for you, yet, but in saying that you are one vote away from having a majority against you. Perhaps you have concerns about another player you'd like to voice to convince me they're more likely to be scum than you?

This looks more like a scumbuddy trying to tell their partner to shape up. Could also possibly be scum trying to buddy mislynch bait to get towncred after a flip.

Definitely doesn't feel like town, though.

Given that my vote, which would be number 4 on UXLZ and would for all intents and purposes be a death knell for them (assuming, of course, no-one changed their vote) I wanted to get some information as a result of that threat. A target of opportunity, if you will.

Given, also, that I don't want them to defend themselves, as that would be entirely useless to the rest of the town, I wanted to know if they had suspicions on other players. The more information in the matrix, the better it is for the town.

Also noteworthy is that thus far hector13 is the only person to actually answer one of those questions rather than responding with 'You're talking/asking about scum? You must be scum!' Make of that what you will.

And a very interesting response to the coaching/buddying attempt from UXLZ.

You appear to be putting me in the role of coach, in that scenario. This is my first game, I've only read through a few beginner mafia games. I literally am learning on the fly here, man!

I don't really see where you're going with that one though. I was the only one to answer the questions (technically Dani did as well, but the answer wasn't very enlightening) to this point, why should that make me and UXLZ scumbuddies?

The entire point of questions is to garner answers and thus information. Given that we're in something of an information-sparse environment, far as I'm concerned, not answering/avoiding the question is quite scummy.

Oh snap, you didn't answer the question did you?

I would like to point out that DarkStar and Scripten, as the two most experience (I think) players in the game, do seem quick to either vote for or suspect UXLZ for trying to learn how to play.

And then we get this bit here from hector13, which is quite notable in that it directly conflicts with his earlier post in which HE is suspecting UXLZ. Playing both sides of the fence, hector13?

There are two scum, remember? UXLZ, at this point and in my opinion, is not in my top two of players that could be scum. It wasn't so much a defense of UXLZ, but rather an attempt for you (and DarkStar) to explain yourself.

You didn't, so I'll give you another opportunity to do so. Why so harsh on someone asking reasonable questions?

It would be foolish, in the extreme, for UXLZ to ask questions on how to play as scum and then play as scum based on those answers in the same game.

This is true, but I was not suspecting him solely on that question. Still, you're rather defensive of him, aren't you?

Like I say, questioning you, rather than defending them. What else is making you suspect UXLZ?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2015, 01:03:13 am »

I missed this before. This bothers me, because it appears that you are setting up a bogus case later on so as to mislynch the IC when he is not killed overnight.

Ah, sorry, I can see where you're coming from with this one. That would be extremely flimsy reasoning to use, anyway, so I doubt it would have worked even if it was my intention.

Scum try to act like town who are scumhunting others. I really don't see how this is useful.

I was looking for a bit more of an in-depth answer than that. What you've said is kind of a 'well, obviously' type answer. It's like one of those pre-fab answers you get from customer support: as you noted, absolutely useless.

The problem with this is that each scum is going to play as close to what they think their town play is. You can't quantify that, and generalizing it is mostly useless.

This is more the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Pretend you know the scumteam and go from there.

Noted.

The scum mentality should remain roughly the same.

I see...

Now, I don't like defending other people, but since in this case it concerns me...

This looks more like a scumbuddy trying to tell their partner to shape up. Could also possibly be scum trying to buddy mislynch bait to get towncred after a flip.

Definitely doesn't feel like town, though.

What if the scum have daytalk? Where does the reasoning go from there? Also, what do you mean with the mislynch bait stuff? In that case I'm genuinely confused. I've got an idea of what you mean but I'm not certain. Too much terminology I'm not used to.

The last one... You do have a bit of a point.

And a very interesting response to the coaching/buddying attempt from UXLZ.

Also a factually correct one. You can't deny that up until that point hector was indeed the only person who had actually answered one of my questions rather than ignoring it and attempting to cast suspicion on me. Of course, in some ways he was also trying to pressure me, but he also answered the question.

And then we get this bit here from hector13, which is quite notable in that it directly conflicts with his earlier post in which HE is suspecting UXLZ. Playing both sides of the fence, hector13?

Suspecting me for different reasons isn't a contradiction, you're strawmanning his post here and attempting to pull a case out of thin air. He never took back his own suspicion of me, he was saying that the reason why both you and DarkStar were doing so were strange. (Note: His reason was 'You're trying really hard to look like town', yours and DarkStar's were 'You're asking how to play as/think like scum'.)

This is true, but I was not suspecting him solely on that question. Still, you're rather defensive of him, aren't you?

Then maybe you should explain your reasons for suspecting me, rather than completely ignoring his question and attempting to shift the focus, right, Scripten?

I've read a few other beginner Mafia games on the forum, and a lot of them have the IC's asking questions in a similar vein to the ones UXLZ asked, without this degree of fuss.

What is different enough in this instance to warrant the suggestion that UXLZ is scum because of that?

PPE: I'll do that in another post.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2015, 01:06:09 am »

Looks like hector explained their reasoning reasonably (haha) well.

I was the only one to answer the questions (technically Dani did as well, but the answer wasn't very enlightening) to this point

Ah, I may have missed Dani answering it, or I read it but it slipped my mind. I thought no on else but you had done so.
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2015, 01:12:37 am »

Reading the abbreviation guide at the start, I seem to be WoTing a lot. Sorry about that for any who dislike reading a lot, but I like to respond to as many points as I can.
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2015, 01:54:31 am »

At this moment I will not be here until a later time, the exact moment of which I am not sure of.
The circle is complete.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2015, 12:04:29 pm »

Supercharazad: What would your favorite scum tactic be, if you happened to be one?

Somehow managed to miss this.
I honestly don't know, I suppose if I were scum then I'd try to forget I was during the day and follow whoever seems most suspicious. After all, the trick to acting well is to not act in the first place.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2015, 01:42:45 pm »

Have you noticed any actors thus far, charazad?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2015, 02:08:33 pm »

Have you noticed any actors thus far, charazad?

It's early enough in the game that nobody's really done anything to draw suspicion on themselves, which means nobody really has a solid case, so they're pretty much indistinguishable from whatever case the scum may be pursuing.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2015, 02:23:48 pm »

I think there are plenty of people who have drawn suspicion on themselves. Why don't you?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2015, 03:54:14 pm »

By the middle of the day, the thieves are at each other's throats, knives drawn, eager for blood.

Vote Tally
Deus Asmoth - [1] hector13
Dani
UXLZ - [2] Deus Asmoth, TheDarkStar
Supercharazad
hector13 - [1] Supercharazad
Scripten
TheDarkStar - [2] Scripten, UXLZ

Not voting: Dani

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2015, 04:48:35 pm »

Dani and Deus Asmoth, what are your thoughts on proceedings so far?

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2015, 05:29:03 pm »

I think there are plenty of people who have drawn suspicion on themselves. Why don't you?

Would you mind sharing who exactly you suspect and why you suspect them? I think that'd be rather helpful.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2015, 07:33:04 pm »

This is an incredibly vague question, hector. Why didn't you provide some example of who you were suspicious of and why if you were going to ask someone why they weren't also suspicious of that person? All I'm seeing here is a blanket statement and an implication that charazard isn't as town as you are.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2015, 11:12:03 pm »

This is an incredibly vague question, hector. Why didn't you provide some example of who you were suspicious of and why if you were going to ask someone why they weren't also suspicious of that person? All I'm seeing here is a blanket statement and an implication that charazard isn't as town as you are.

unvote

It's not vague, it's actually quite specific. I'm not asking him if he's suspicious of certain players, I'm asking why he doesn't think anyone isn't acting suspiciously.

Scripten, DarkStar, UXLZ and I were all pointing fingers at each other to some degree, you've been conspicuously absent, dani changed their vote 3 times in as many posts, and charazad doesn't think anyone is suspicious. Everyone is acting suspiciously to an extent. I want to know why charazad doesn't think so.

And you're very much putting words in my mouth there, sunshine. You inferred that I was saying charazad wasn't as town as me. Like I keep saying, the name of the game is information, and that information would prove to be most enlightening.

I'm currently most suspicious of Scripten, DarkStar and Supercharazad. I didn't say before because I didn't want that to influence charazad's answers. Too late now, though, eh?

So I'll ask everyone then.

everyone: Who are you most suspicious of at present?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13