Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: BM Sprint 3: Thick as Thieves - Game Over - Town Victory  (Read 25545 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM Sprint 3: Thick as Thieves - Day -1: The First Hanging
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2015, 07:17:41 pm »

Since I've played a full game with only one person here before;
Everyone:How much experience do you have with mafia?

I'd IC, but Scripten beat me to it.

Hi all.

-snip-

More to come as we play! Good luck everyone.

TheDarkStar: How do you expect this sprint game to differ from a normal game of mafia in terms of play, rather than just mechanics, which we all are aware of?

The color. IT BURNS.

Anyway, people will probably be more hurried because decisions will have to be made faster.

Supercharazard (did I spell that right?): What should the cop do if he finds one scum and the other is alive?

PPE: Well, 10 posts between when I started this and now. I'll have detailed responses later, but hector is right in that day 1 lynches are good. Like he said, town flips give the town info that the scum already has. The list of votes is also highly useful.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2015, 07:35:25 pm »

DarkStar, that's a dilemma. Obviously if he roleclaims and points out that somebody is definitely scum, then he will be nightkilled. Because he's a macho cop, the doctor can't even protect him from that.
If he does point out scum, then he's helping the town in the short term but instantly becomes useless because he'll get nightkilled. If he doesn't, then he can direct questioning at the person who he knows is scum and can keep investigating.

I figure he should keep the information to himself until he discovers both of them, and then out them both simultaneously. At that point even if they do nightkill him then all the town has left to do is lynch the two scum, and the cop wins with the town even if he's dead.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2015, 08:16:00 pm »

Posting to note presence. Haven't actually read anything else yet.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dani

• Bay Watcher
  • Monstrous Nun
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2015, 08:21:34 pm »

Are you fishing for easy lynches?
This bothers me. Can you guess why this bothers me?
Scripten seems to have performed the exact scum tactic he warns about in his theory post.

((UXLZ vote for me do it nao))
A creature of habit.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2015, 08:29:29 pm »

Next to none. The only actual experience I've had with it is a few games on that custom map for SC2 several years ago. It was characterized mostly by random, totally thoughtless lynching so I grew bored of it.

UXLZ: How do you think having less time to choose their targets will affect the scum team?

Not too much. At least, in a newbie game like this. I'd assume four courses of action: Kill the IC (noting that this won't happen if he's a scum), kill someone who's being talkative to silence them, kill someone who isn't talkative because that also makes them stand out, or just kill at random. It shouldn't take too long to decide on one of these. 
Truth be told, I don't think scum kills generally have too much thought put into them. At least, it was that way in the SC2 custom map I played (since the night cycle was about 1 minute long, there wasn't much time to choose regardless.)
I'll have to admit that in this type of format there may be more thought to put into it. I haven't really... Thought of it, yet.
The circle is complete.

Dani

• Bay Watcher
  • Monstrous Nun
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2015, 08:40:43 pm »

:(
Your unwillingness to ouroboros makes me sad.
A creature of habit.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2015, 08:43:11 pm »

Scripten: What sort of mindset should a scum take into a Sprint game, as opposed to a regular one?

Deus Asamoth: What's your reasoning for deciding to vote for me, specifically? I can't imagine there actually is one, since I hadn't said anything at that point, but I'm curious none the less.

Dani: If you were a scum, what sort of questioning would make you... Nervous?

Supercharazad: What would your favorite scum tactic be, if you happened to be one?

hector13: How long do you think you'd be able to keep up the image of being a scum over a townie without a slip?

TheDarkStar: What sort of advantages do the scum have in a sprint game? Does that worry you?

and not to be unfair...

Myself: What do you think asking all these questions to different people will achieve?

The purpose of them is to try and discern what sort of mindset these different people would take if they were scum. Of course, this line of reasoning could be pointless, but it's interesting enough to pursue all the same. DarkStar gets more questions due to being more experienced. Scripten has kind of a two-in-one. I'm not asking a similar question to myself because, obviously, I would know how I would act, if I were scum.
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2015, 08:44:04 pm »

Ouroboros represents eternity, but it also represents stagnation. 
The circle is complete.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2015, 08:46:30 pm »

Are you fishing for easy lynches?
...what? It's helpful to know how familiar someone is with the game when you haven't played with them before. How would finding someone with little experience (in a beginner's game) help with getting an easy lynch?

UXLZ: No particular reason. I just picked someone who hadn't posted yet to put pressure on them and your number came up.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2015, 08:51:31 pm »

UXLZ: No particular reason. I just picked someone who hadn't posted yet to put pressure on them and your number came up.

I think you're misunderstanding something: Single votes have no power and exert very little pressure. 'Putting on' is quite the overstatement. You're going to need to find a buddy if you want to do that.
The circle is complete.

Dani

• Bay Watcher
  • Monstrous Nun
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2015, 09:01:08 pm »

Dani: If you were a scum, what sort of questioning would make you... Nervous?
The dramatic kind that has loads of... Unnecessary Emphasis.

It's helpful to know how familiar someone is with the game when you haven't played with them before. How would finding someone with little experience (in a beginner's game) help with getting an easy lynch?
A lack of experience will show itself quite plainly, no need for people to self-evaluate. A lack of experience is also a susceptibility to pressure and a greater-than-usual fear of the lynch as town, leading to looking scummy.

PPE:
I think you're misunderstanding something: Single votes have no power and exert very little pressure. 'Putting on' is quite the overstatement. You're going to need to find a buddy if you want to do that.
Vote UXLZ
A creature of habit.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2015, 09:11:16 pm »

The dramatic kind that has loads of... Unnecessary Emphasis.

That isn't what does dots mean... It's more a way of representing a slight pause, when I... Well, think. It leads to a more natural way of typing as I would speak with my voice. At least, that is how it feels to me. Others may interpret it somewhat differently. The 'emphasis' is purely in your head.

Vote UXLZ

There we go. Now you understand.
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2015, 09:14:32 pm »

Oh, I'd like to note that I won't be here in roughly four hours. Hopefully it won't coincide with events and make myself look... Bad? Regardless, I'm putting this here now, just in case.
The circle is complete.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2015, 09:17:44 pm »

Firstly, IC stuff:

Scripten: I'm planning on keeping calm for a start. Emotion seems to be a good way of getting myself killed.

Emotion can be dangerous, as it can cloud your actions. Keep in mind, though, that being genuine is a part of the game as well. Losing your cool does not mark you as scum, though it likewise does not clear you of it. Using emotion to appeal to or intimidate other players is also a viable tactic and, in some cases, can even get scum to crack and lose to the game, but it can also reveal a town player who just can't take it any more. Be mindful of the difference.

The only players who should be worried about being killed are scum.

While it's not pleasant to be killed as town, it's less likely to mean you'll lose the game. The other town players can also read your previous posts as confirmed town, and adapt their future play accordingly. It's halfway to a loss as scum.

Like I said previously, this is my first game. I'm not entirely certain how to go about questioning people at this point in the game, so it just comes across as... feeble poking, really.

From a purely theoretical standpoint, this is true. Keep in mind, also, that as a town power role, you should avoid getting lynched if at all possible and, if you are about to be lynched, claim your role. (Be sure to be mindful of the deadline, too. Don't wait until ten minutes to the end of the day to claim, or else nobody will have time to unvote you.) I would also like to add at this juncture that if you are a cop and you have a guilty, claiming sooner rather than later is not a bad idea. Consider that you will be eliminating 50% of the scumteam. Also, it is imperative that you claim a guilty if you are in a MyLo or LyLo situation. (These are days when, if scum are not lynched, the town loses.) If you've lost the game already, your own survival is a moot point.

The color. IT BURNS.

I can change my color. Anything that would be more preferable?

Deus Asmoth:

Presumably you think I'm referring to a night kill rather than attempting to lynch someone. The obvious flaw in that is that the scum team don't need to see any action from anyone before killing them because they already know who their allies are, while townies have to try to figure out someone's motivations before they go for the throat since otherwise they're a lot more likely to kill town than scum.

Sure, but you forget that the scum are looking to see who the most useful night kills will be. And beyond that, your specific choice of the word "murder" is interesting. It implies personal agency in the death rather than a consensus killing. Hence my reason for calling it a potential scumslip.

Dani:

Scripten seems to have performed the exact scum tactic he warns about in his theory post.

Can you explain this more? I'm not seeing the link you're making.

UXLZ:

Scripten: What sort of mindset should a scum take into a Sprint game, as opposed to a regular one?

Can you first explain why a town player would want advice on how to play scum?

Also, even though this is a sprint game, forum mafia isn't a real-time game, so being absent for certain stretches isn't terrible, though it helps to be active. An active, questioning town is a town that wins.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2015, 09:34:58 pm »

Can you first explain why a town player would want advice on how to play scum?

Please read the entire post. My reasoning, if somewhat flawed, is already there, though it's an answer to a different question than this one specifically. I'd also like to add that this is my first game of this sort of Mafia. I'll need to learn how play both sides at some point since I won't always get to be a townie. It's better to do it when I stand to lose less.

would want advice on how to play scum?

Barring what I said above, I think you've also misunderstood the question. I'm asking about the mindset, not the action. That's the difference between asking 'How does an apple picker think?' and 'How do you pick apples?'. The town will certainly benefit from the former, somewhat less so from the latter though there is still some benefit to be had.
Essentially, I  am not asking advice on how to play scum like you seem to be assuming, I am asking advice on how to think like scum.

However... I'll rephrase the question, omitting the 'should' since that is under the assumption of 'perfect play'.

Scripten: What, in your mind, what would the mindset of a scum in a sprint game be, as opposed to a regular game?
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13