Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crude products  (Read 3009 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Crude products
« on: January 05, 2015, 09:28:40 pm »

I think a dabbling worker, especially those with zero experience, should produce some useless junks before he reaches novice level.

XXgranite mechanismXX
XXadamantine breast plateXX

Or, he just sometimes fails to finish the job and destroys all or some of the materials.
Urist DabblingWeaponSmith has failed to finished the gold statue: job items destroyed.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:30:11 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crude products
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:48:56 pm »

I think both systems could work together quite well actually.

Either way, +1 for sure. This is a mechanic that has really been a long time coming, and would add a lot of needed force behind skill proficiencies. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:32:56 pm »

Makes some sense in some area's but making metal stuff should not be included as metal can easily be recast, if anything maybe a scrap system to recycle junk, metal isnt just lost. Also I believe a tinkers/work bench should be in order to repair worn out stuff, deconstruct foreign weapons/armor (if foreign armor comes {or is it already here?}) and enable your site to create that type of weapon. Either way this could be greatly expanded. A recycling system would be great in my opinion and would make this process more welcome IMO ranther than Urist MNnoob destroying valuable metal in order to learn crap.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 08:22:11 am »

Makes some sense in some area's but making metal stuff should not be included as metal can easily be recast, if anything maybe a scrap system to recycle junk, metal isnt just lost.

Melt-designated by default, maybe? Actually, automatically melt-designating any xmetalx items would be nice.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 08:50:44 am »

In the case of metal, simply making XXmetal objectsXX would suffice, those can already be considered scrap to be melted. (damn ninjaed, that happens for starting to write and then leave the computer for half an hour)

Something that could work with this is the apprenticeship, when a dabbling worker is guided by a master has less chances of this and gains experience at a faster rate.

Also I would love to have the manager giving orders regarding the quality of objects. Like melt all XXmetal objectsXX, or below *metal object*  quality.

On the other hand if you order the production of 20 ≡steel helms≡, only the best armor smiths available work on it, or maybe the work is put on hold until at least one master armor smith is available.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:52:25 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:34:23 pm »

Toady mentioned negative qualities in the latest dfTalk, in conjunction with apprentice children and such.

I still like this idea, and I hope it slips in with recipes.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 06:05:30 pm »

This looks like an excellent mechanic, and also one which is heading for addition to the game.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 06:23:26 pm »

I like it too. It'd force you to give your 7 starting dwarves skills instead of having them learn as they go.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 06:26:19 pm »

Skills like mason and carpenter, yes. Small animal dissector, not so much.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 03:11:17 pm »

Skills like mason and carpenter, yes. Small animal dissector, not so much.

Oh really? Yet it would be so much !!FUN!! to have unskilled Dwarves who try that job potentially end up as serial killers....................
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 08:59:45 am »

Only if dwarves count as small animals. Don't say that to their faces.

For old times' sake.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 02:07:30 pm »

Only if dwarves count as small animals. Don't say that to their faces.
I think he was talking about serial killers and psychopaths tendencies to kill small animals. Its considered a warning sign.
In which case I wouldn't want to bring dwarves with small animal dissector experience. Was it professional, or amateur?...

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 04:52:50 pm »

If they did it for fun, it might be psychopathic, but working in a slaughterhouse seems far more likely.

For old times' sake.

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 03:17:48 pm »

Also, if the job the unskilled/dabbling worker is attempting is decoration, there should be a chance of damaging the base item or an existing decoration and reducing its quality, which should also be artwork destruction if said base item or decoration is a masterpiece.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 05:24:22 pm »

Which promptly would make the master dwarf that made the base item bash the apprentice.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: [1] 2