Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145881 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #615 on: August 11, 2016, 03:54:18 pm »

Basically, this is a game built from the ground up for old-fashioned nerds, the sort of people who grew up on sci-fi novels, watching Star Trek and Star Wars, playing Freelancer, shit like that. And that's exactly what it is. It's a game where you get to explore a galaxy doing whatever the hell you want. Someone elsewhere described it very aptly as a Dad Game. It's a game for people who want to sit back and listen to the rain drumming against their cockpit as they watch a reddish sun rise over hills covered in fields of blue-grey ferns.

The problem is that Sony got in on the action and a bunch of kids from the Minecraft generation started making it out to be some sort of Minecraft-GTA-in-Space MMO and then got mad when it wasn't. Also the other problem is that Sony got in on the action. And then there were complications caused by Sony getting in on the action.
Isn't there also some people expcting a AAA story out of the price despite this being a space exploring procgen game about exploring procgenned space and making spacemoney with your finds?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 11, 2016, 03:58:45 pm »

Basically, this is a game built from the ground up for old-fashioned nerds, the sort of people who grew up on sci-fi novels, watching Star Trek and Star Wars, playing Freelancer, shit like that. And that's exactly what it is. It's a game where you get to explore a galaxy doing whatever the hell you want. Someone elsewhere described it very aptly as a Dad Game. It's a game for people who want to sit back and listen to the rain drumming against their cockpit as they watch a reddish sun rise over hills covered in fields of blue-grey ferns.

Once again... Starflight!

Man if this game was anything like Starflight I'd jump on it in an instant... (mind you, I hesitate to call Starflight a good game...)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 11, 2016, 04:08:28 pm »

Isn't there also some people expcting a AAA story out of the price despite this being a space exploring procgen game about exploring procgenned space and making spacemoney with your finds?

I think it's more the dev was a bit inexperienced and sheepish with interviews, so he said a lot of maybes he shouldn't of. Looking into what he said and chose to show it's clear the game is supposed to be for exploring and stuff and not exactly super deep mechanics.

And of course I think sony pushing it like crazy likely has something to do with it too.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 11, 2016, 04:10:50 pm »

Oh God I hope we don't loop back to marketing and stuff (based on last pages).

But hey, two friends of mine already asked "Hey man, what about that space exploration MMORPG you keep posting about? Is it out? How much?" and these are people I deem smart (yet always uninformed).. so dang, I knew the hype was real but now I think I can see the extent of it.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 11, 2016, 04:11:10 pm »

Goodness... Expecting a Triple-AAA story? We rarely get that even out of Triple-A games... or any games really.

A great story is rarer then a great game.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 11, 2016, 04:21:03 pm »

Hey, I didn't expect much of a story..but what I've seen from streams (very small lore bits), it's already 10000 times better than Spore.
I'm not sure if it's all connected, integrated, consistent and if it makes sense...but there's a lore and probably story arcs there.
Few pages ago I tried to make people imagine with me what could it mean to refuse and ignore the Atlas and it's guidance, but no one cared.  ::)

And maybe I just got used to keep my expectations at minimum after Spore, anyway.  :P

EDIT: I just realized something. This is what Spore was for me for all the people that weren't there. Basically, the Spore Story for console people..except this time around there was actual information out so you could stop your hype if you wanted.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:56:37 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 11, 2016, 04:23:43 pm »

Except you can't crew a starship together like in either Star Trek or Star Wars, with your friends.  :-\

Edit: But that is probably what this game is for.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 11, 2016, 05:30:54 pm »

So I never really got hyped for this, I heard literally two things about it: there are infinity+10 planets and that you could seamlessly travel from a planet to space. I know what procedural generation is and I didn't imagine going too and from a planet's surface would be a big enough deal for the presence or absence of a loading screen to matter. As an outsider: why was this supposed to be huge and why are people getting pissed?

Sony massively overhyped it. Not only that, they massively overhyped it with audiences to whom those two elements are still novel. Console gamers don't know about the Starbound fiasco.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 11, 2016, 05:43:27 pm »

Dunkey's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgfxo3CLdNM

I don't wanna sound like a fanboy - since I know I can feel disappointed if the game doesn't behave as I think it will at later stages - but starting the review with a comparison with Minecraft wasn't really smart. He also built up his opinion on what he expected of the game (also evident from the start), and implied that Starbound pushed the Minecraft concept much further...
So I'll just ignore this video. I watch most, if not all, dunkey videos..it's one of the few youtubers I have notifications on for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 11, 2016, 05:47:52 pm »

Dunkey's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgfxo3CLdNM

I don't wanna sound like a fanboy - since I know I can feel disappointed if the game doesn't behave as I think it will at later stages - but starting the review with a comparison with Minecraft wasn't really smart.

Before I start... No you don't sound like a fanboy.

I am just chiming in that I never got this sort of "all or nothing" comparison that people expect. That a comparison has to be 100% exact or it just doesn't count.

Like if I spilt milk and said "I am disappointed as the time I fell down the stairs" and someone goes "Stairs is NOTHING like milk!"

Comparisons are ways to reflect on something using something else.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 11, 2016, 05:49:43 pm »

Minecraft: explore, survive and gather resources in one of 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 procedurally generated worlds.

No Man's Sky: explore, survive and gather resources on 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 procedurally generated worlds.

i guess you're right the comparison probably shouldn't be made

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 11, 2016, 05:56:32 pm »

There's distinct differences between them though, not that they were communicated properly by most of the games journalists out there.

Minecraft is more about what you do with this world you're given, no mans sky is more about what kind of worlds can you find.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 11, 2016, 05:58:07 pm »

Hmm I don't know, the way he puts it in the video is not just a comparison. He speaks as if the devs aimed for Minecraft in space, even giving all the examples of people doing crappy clones and all that.

I don't remember how long ago it was, but I was very, very hyped for like a year once I saw the first NMS videos. Then they started giving interviews and more info, and I remember I was really hyped for base building or things like that. Or at least being able to plop down automatic drills or stuff you see in modded Minecraft. But Sean stated clearly it was not that type of game.
I felt disappointed because I really wanted a game like Prospector (that ASCII game) but in 3D. Or..Spore Space Stage In First Person and Actually Deep. But after that I realized even without such features, the game was still right up my alley.

I may have been unnecessary long here, I just don't get it that reviewers don't keep their own hype and expectations in check. It's what they do for a living.
Other than that, I do agree with Dunkey on the game being boring after 2h, I noticed that in a good amount of streamers.
Then again, that's what I expect to happen to people that don't really like Survival/Sandbox/Exploration games in the first place. I'm hoping the game picks up the pace after a few jumps - that's what I noticed from streams - it avoids throwing too much stuff at you for a rather long while.

Minecraft: explore, survive and gather resources in one of 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 procedurally generated worlds.

Good point, but I think that's way too simplistic. I also don't think this warrants the argument that Hello Games was aiming for "The Minecraft Formula".
I get completely different intents from both games, even though the description of features sound similar.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:00:58 pm by Gabeux »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 11, 2016, 06:02:33 pm »

minecraft was actually inspired by DF though

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 87