Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145773 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #585 on: August 11, 2016, 05:41:04 am »

I just... really don't get the attitude that because people ignore what the devs are saying and make assumptions the game should be changed to match those erroneous assumptions. Do you think that Tarn should change DF to suit the whims of the occasional weirdos that pop up in Suggestions trying to dictate what the game is supposed to be?
That's not what im saying, though. I'm saying that it makes sense people feel cheated because of how the game was marketed.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 11, 2016, 07:23:16 am »

Okay. But explain to me how devs talking in interviews about features they're looking at doing years back, which they subsequently said that they weren't doing, is marketing. It's not like they were running an ad campaign saying shit like "Play with your friends in an infinite universe!"

Sean sucks at making obvious, direct statements, but "This is not a multiplayer game" is pretty clear-cut. Never mind how the hate train (which mostly seems to be composed of non-players from r/games and /v/ who were looking to hate on the game regardless) turned "the extremely limited multiplayer component wasn't working on day one of PS4 launch" into "Sean is literally Satan and is giggling evilly as he plots to ruin our hopes and dreams, therefore it's perfectly okay for me to pirate the game".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 11, 2016, 08:15:44 am »

the real problem here is not what has been said two years ago, or at least that's not the core of the issue, the core of the issue is the lead dev messing around waiting out for steam presales to turn unrefundable, which is a pretty shitty thing to do.

I mean it's pretty straightforward to tweet "yes you are supposed to see another player, it's a bug you cant" / "no you are only supposed to see how players have named things in universe"

He's not being forward to the players, and that's what matters, not actual things said one year ago, but that he's just protecting pre-orders over being straightforward and honest about the whole thing.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 11, 2016, 12:30:29 pm »

Actually, one suspicion I have that's growing is that it's a Sony thing. Not too long ago he made a comment about contractual obligations barring him from even acknowledging the existence of certain things. Chances that it's specifically a PS4 thing, either in the sense of "PS4 can't support NMS multiplayer" or "Something shitty going on with PS4 P2P connections is preventing it"? That would definitely explain why there's no clear statement from Sean, if he's not allowed to say that it's specifically an issue with the PS4 version.

Oh, and today they added a support page to their site. In it they specifically say
we are aware of some issues and will be working towards a patch for the PS4 version as soon as possible for the most common ones.

Ooooh, yeah. My money is on it being a PS4-specific problem that they're not allowed to officially acknowledge.

(I also suspect that some of the people fanning the flames elsewhere are part of the usual collection of parasites looking to manufacture excuses to make themselves feel better about pirating it.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:33:19 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 11, 2016, 12:39:02 pm »

I would find it hilarious if many of the cancelled features in this game is entirely being on the PS4's fault.

I mean it wouldn't be the first time something along these lines happened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 11, 2016, 12:42:06 pm »

We already know that PC isn't going to have the 30FPS cap and will have an FOV slider. It's going to be extra-delicious if we don't have the idiot-proof cruise control, obvious pop-in, or multiplayer problems.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 11, 2016, 12:47:37 pm »

Saying nothing explanatory about the inability to see other players makes it seem like they don't want to say anything because they don't want to lie, but also don't want to tell the truth, whatever that is.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 11, 2016, 12:55:13 pm »

Or, as above, they're contractually obliged to not imply or state that there are issues specific to the PS4 version, or that the PS4 version lacks some of the features of the PC version.

Remember, it's a PC game ported to console well after development started. Would not be at all surprised if it's another case of Sony a Shit.

3. Run Resize Enable

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 11, 2016, 12:58:18 pm »

Amusingly, the Jimquisition.com is still suffering from a DDOS attack second day running because apparently some people didn't like his No Man's Sky review.

Though in his own words, Jim Sterling said he doesn't really give a crap because he gets all his money from Patreon and not from ads.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 11, 2016, 12:59:36 pm »

Amusingly, the Jimquisition.com is still suffering from a DDOS attack second day running because apparently some people didn't like his No Man's Sky review.

Though in his own words, Jim Sterling said he doesn't really give a crap because he gets all his money from Patreon and not from ads.

Could be the NMS developer themselves or marketer.

It wouldn't be the first or last time that has happened. Sega for example.

---

Though yep, Bay12 predicted the rabid fanbase pretty early.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 11, 2016, 01:04:24 pm »

Could be the NMS developer themselves or marketer.

It wouldn't be the first or last time that has happened. Sega for example.

---

Though yep, Bay12 predicted the rabid fanbase pretty early.
His review was pretty much "I don't think I like this game very much, but maybe you will". Dunno why this would anger Hello Games (maybe Sony, because well, it's Sony). Of course, rabid fans will be rabid.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 11, 2016, 01:08:07 pm »

Dunno why this would anger Hello Games (maybe Sony, because well, it's Sony).

Who says they are angry?

When Sega attacks people it is because it is because they are more popular then it.

The DDOS has two possible intentions
1) Removing any form of criticism until the game is finally released
2) The "controversy" will thusly make No Mans Sky even more popular.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 11, 2016, 01:19:44 pm »

Not sure what does sega have to do with sony or why you would suspect either of DDOSing anyone.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 11, 2016, 01:36:14 pm »

Because for some reason NMS makes people jump to the least likely conclusion and then assume that it's god-given truth.

I mean I think Jim didn't really give the game a chance, but his review was mediocre at best; there were plenty worse out there.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 11, 2016, 01:38:40 pm »

Because for some reason NMS makes people jump to the least likely conclusion and then assume that it's god-given truth.

I mean I think Jim didn't really give the game a chance, but his review was mediocre at best; there were plenty worse out there.

Yes, because saying it is possible... means I am saying THEY DID IT! IT WAS THEM THEY DID IT!

As well NO ONE could possibly not like No Man's Sky :P

I am not sure if I am communicating incorrectly... or if something else is going on here...
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 87