Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26

Author Topic: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!  (Read 52818 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!
« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2015, 05:05:46 am »

Wait, why are dwarves attacking us?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2015, 05:29:44 am »

Wait, why are dwarves attacking us?

It's happened before. There's speculation as to why it happened.
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2015, 07:03:15 am »

Merry Goblin Dwarf Christmas everyone!

So it looks like dwarf sieges are going to be a normal thing for Shadowgraves. I look forward to the next update. :)

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #258 on: March 02, 2015, 10:57:12 pm »

Recollections of Feb 'Chaoseed' Alathcilob

All right, if I know the previous overseers, they set up a burrow in case of emergency.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

'Chaoseed' Alathcilob cancels Oversee siege: Frozen in terror

Okay. Okay. Most of these burrows are not in use. What about the alerts?

That's marginally clearer. All right, that one alert uses the burrows 'Upper Fortress' and 'Lower Fortress'. Those burrows need to be updated with a few new constructions, like my tomb; that's the work of mere moments. Also, FIRE THE ARROWS should have the ballista arrow stockpile in it. I think. ACTIVATE THE CIVILIAN ALERT!

While our dwarves cancel actions, more and more evil dwarves move in from outside our view.

I send the Stick Chuckers to the ramparts. Someone named Ineth Zonrungak decides to spend break up there with them. Great, have fun. Now, should we...

"Should we what?" The Kaspa asks.

No, not yet. Let's see how things go. Closer...closer...the marksdwarves should start shooting...any...moment...now WAIT THE FRONT IS SOLID NOT A FORTIFICATION!

"Maybe the idea was not to shoot until they are within our clutches," The Kaspa suggests.

Well, maybe. Regardless, the marksdwarves eventually start plinking away at the invaders.

Some are injured, but most continue on. As they enter the gate, I wonder, should we...

"Should we what?"

Yes!

Wait, no.

YES! If they're going to be any use at all, now's the time.

Now we should start firing--wait what?

Apparently Urdim Kubukakman decided it was the perfect time to get a drink. For Armok's sake! After this, we'll put some beer in that room.

"Beer and ballistas?"

Yes! It's the perfect plan, nothing can go wrong. Now, where did we put the levers?

"This room, wasn't it?"

And they all have notes, excellent! Which one is connected to the 'Inner Deathtrap'?

Meanwhile

They didn't stand a chance. A few invaders make it to the courtyard and slaughter our livestock. I can't figure out which lever is the one for the deathtrap; there's no label on at least three of these levers, and the main remnant of the invading force is approaching. I pick a lever and call for it to be pulled.

Urdim goes back to the ballista room and:

"Apparently," The Kaspa reports, "A swordsdwarf has grown attached--"

I don't care! Should I call in the armed squads? I probably should have done that earlier. I don't work well under pressure!...Oh, no. One Axedwarf, Ast Bookstores, was on his way to training when he decided to run out and be a hero. He meets two opponents and...kills them.

And then he sits there. On the Inner Deathtrap bridge. I try to station him elsewhere, but to no avail. That bridge may or may not be retracting in moments! Move, damn you!

Yeah, you and me both. Finally the approach of a half-dozen more goblin-raised quislings stirs Ast to action.

... I finally call in the actual army. All four squads (the Marksdwarves already having been stationed).

Okay then. Sadly, Ast is eventually killed by the mass of evil dwarves. (Looking at his status screen, he had at least seven kills.) Moments later Maxcat and the rest of the Hushed Hackers arrive.

Infected 3 jumps into the fray!

Honestly, WHY would you even DO that, Infected 3?

I guess that explains it.

Wait...'flight path'?

...Flight path.

Fperson leaps down to join Infected 3, for some reason, making short work of the enemy down there. At this point, however, Shadowgraves' strength is truly coming to bear.

Here we see the contrast between Axe and Hammer. Zasit Ilkalkel needs only a moment to kill...to dispatch...to execute his foe. (Seriously, that was the ENTIRE combat screen for the enemy Pikedwarf.)

The action near the ballista runs down, but there are more enemies bunched up near the Llama Gate. Dorsidwarf II sees them and gets a running start.

He no-sells their attacks and uses his short sword to great effect.

Wait...'he jumps away'?

Yes, Dorsidwarf II has found himself in a pit scant urists away from a band of enemy marksdwarves. However, if you thought a few arrows would slow him down...

And...that's it. The siege is over. The only Shadowgraves casualty, as far as I can tell, was Ast. I'll be making a good tomb for you, Ast, or at the very least a memorial slab or two. Oh, and a number of pets were killed as well. Too bad.

The upper fortress is painted with blood and strewn with body parts, several warriors are trapped in inaccessible pits and the deathtrap bridge never did retract. I need a drink.
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 02, 2015, 11:24:02 pm »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! Shadowgraves' military has gotten pretty powerful by now. I'm glad to see the archers got to use their murder holes.

I think the lever for the death pit is by the dining room FYI. But I wasn't the one to set it up.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 03, 2015, 01:39:54 pm »

Yeah, I put the Deathtrap Lever by the underground dining room. That way, when sieges happened, the lever could be pulled rather fast.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #261 on: March 05, 2015, 03:54:15 am »

Journal of Feb 'Chaoseed' Alathcilob

With the siege over, the fortress returns to a fairly humdrum existence. I designate a stockpile for animal cages and one for armor. Oh, and I cancel the civilian alert. Our duchess wants a ring and two quivers, so I queue up the quivers and order rock crafts.

I managed to capture the last thoughts of a pet turkey during the siege:

Speaking of the siege, I'm going to renovate the trenches.

=====

"Is anyone going to get me out?"

Dorsidwarf II looked around, clicking his tongue. He deliberately turned away from the pile of corpses and took out his short sword to polish it.

"No hurry..."

=====

The two women in the other trench were not taking things as well.

"I'm one of the fortress' best warriors!" Infected 3 yelled upward. "You can't do this to me!"

"Oh, put a XsockX in it," Fperson groaned. "You're giving me a headache."

Infected 3 growled. "Why are you so disagreeable?"

"Your FACE is disagreeable!"

"I don't care if you ARE a militia captain, I don't have to listen to this!"

"Your FACE is militia captain!"

"That doesn't even make SENSE!"

=====

I forbid Ast's body until I complete his small tomb. I also notice that none of the evil dwarves used axes. Curious, as our axedwarves proved them effective by hacking off limbs left and right.

=====

"Ugh," Chaoseed groaned. "I hate making all these decisions. I'm not cut out to be an overseer. WHO CAN I YELL AT?"

"Feel better?" The Kaspa asked.

"Yep!"

=====

9th Hematite - The two trenches are breached. There are plants growing all over the workshop level, so I order them to be gathered to clean things up a bit.

In pursuit of a semi-secret project, I ordered a few trees to be cut down. You wouldn't believe the looks I got.

=====

"Perigrin has been extracting metal strands for a long time. Is he okay?"

"Eh, he'll be fine."

=====

13th Hematite - We cannot create fine pewter without tin-bearing stones. I don't see ANY cassiterite anywhere. Did we ever have it? I cancel the '3 fine pewter bars' job. Why ARE we making so many pipe sections?

14th Hematite - Melbil has everything she needs.

The duchess has been satsfied, I cancel the crafts.

16th Hematite - A human caravan arrives; unfortunately I had somehow raised the outer bridge. I can't figure out which lever releases it. I've pulled one lever TWICE and apparently nothing has happened.

17th Hematite - A human diplomat. I finally find the right lever; the bridge is down, the humans lead their pack animals inside. Now that we have an animal stockpile, the cages are organized; I order a yak corpse and a red panda corpse dumped from them. (Do we have a dump zone? I guess I'll find out.) Also:

Melbil is now a legendary mason, having created a table undoubtedly named for the vast fields of logs outside our walls. I wonder where I should put this...

=====

"Hm, the ramparts where the archers helped repel the siege are decorated a lovely green color. ...wait. Ew."

=====

I designate some worn-out clothes to be hauled to the trading area, along with some syrup roasts and other traditional dwarven cuisine.

21st Hematite - The king meets with a human diplomat.

Riveting, I know. Bomrek the mayor has a lot of demands on his time; I ask him to trade, but he has to get yelled at by Sarvesh Tishisdodok the Suturer, then take ANOTHER meeting...Speaking of demands on time, Sarvesh Sazirgomer was complaining about how she's the only one with any cheese making skill and she demands to be recognized. Fine, I said.

Meanwhile, I finally set Ast to rest in a coffin flanked by two weapon racks. A modest, yet fitting tribute, I feel.

27th Hematite - The king's axes are finally completed, and finally we're trading. I'm amazed at the stuff our dwarves just throw away. There's a pig tail fiber right glove worth 1539 even 'showing wear', and a giant cave spider silk sock worth 1803!

Trading list:

I give them so much worn clothing that I didn't even have to hand over any food.

(Several pages are ripped out)

I've filled this journal with pointless speculation on why our dwarves keep complaining about items being inaccessible. I've forbidden and walled off all sorts of places. Maybe there's a more permanent solution...Why is there a cat in the walled-off corpse pile?

12 Malachite - I pasture the animals gotten in trade. The aboveground pasture worked great earlier, so why change! (Ha ha.) The king wants more battle axes. To get rid of useless remains I order totem and bone bolt crafting; however, the craftsdwarves whine about not being able to make ivory/tooth crafts so I cancel that.

Lots of little jobs and bits of progress on big jobs. Walling off the trenches, secret mining project #2, a few coffins were not designated correctly. Elk birds wander the fortress; nobody cares. We start making cheese but THE Cheese Maker wants to yell at the mayor. Note to self: Cavern opening on level 99.

2nd Galena - Some migrants have arrived, despite the danger. (Come on, WHAT danger?) A census:

Why do I have a naked mole dog in a cage? I assign someone to train it. I also set our dogs to be trained for war. Incidentally, I built a kennel. The Kaspa says we don't need one, but now we have one anyway.

Trenches walled off. The wolverine blood and emu blood barrels stay down there because nobody gives a carp. Someone might want to carve the walls into fortifications so we can shoot at enemies that fall in the trenches. Or will that allow them to shoot at us? Hmmm...

THE Cheese Maker finally makes cheese. 2 steel battle axes being forged.

5th Galena - Gray langur men (and women) attack! I didn't even hear about it. The civilians are beating them up, though. Lorban Idithmuthkat, Trader, seems to be doing a good job, so I draft her into the Hushed Hackers.

Eventually the last gray langur woman dies. I think she bled to death after being punched for a week. Not really a death I would wish on anyone, to be honest.

A sword is named.

10th Galena - TROLL IN THE DUNGEONS! ... It's just standing there. I send in a squad anyway.

The troll is soon decapitated. Meanwhile, I can't find the carpenter's workshops...so I queue a bed construction job, then I follow the carpenter--and of course it was RIGHT THERE in front of me.

I need some sort of 'scaffold' to build walls to close off my cavern construction. Floor bars! Finally all this zinc is good for SOMETHING! Meanwhile, Iamblichos goes out to clean the cavern. sigh

Each of our five wood furnaces has a suspended 'make charcoal' job. Hm. Hmmm. Anyway, I notice the king wants bucklers. I put in an order for 2 bismuth bronze ones since I think we've run out of steel.

22nd Galena - A sword master has grown attached to an ashen shield. Oddly, the shield isn't listed on the artifacts screen (like the named swords are). Not interesting enough for our clerks to take notice of, I guess.

Naked mole dogs run wild in the fortress; no one cares.

3rd Limestone - I get word that the masons have built a wall in the wrong order so they can't get to the last block. sigh More zinc bars!

10th Limestone - My overseer room is finally furnished!

It has a bed, chest, cabinet, coffin and door all made from exotic underground woods. I move myself out of my old room...then I notice that a number of former overseers are living in their overseer rooms while still claiming ownership of a standard "peasant's" room. Naughty, naughty! I issue eviction papers for those smaller rooms. (Terrabalt, curiously, had not been given permission to move into her overseer room. I fixed that as well.) There are a lot of peasant rooms unfinished. I guess THAT'S why we were making so much zinc furniture...

Autumn is underway, and things are moving along nicely...

OOC

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 05, 2015, 07:10:32 am »

2nd Galena - Some migrants have arrived, despite the danger. (Come on, WHAT danger?)

Unless you already killed it, That forgotten beast Ithibi is still chilling in it's spore tree. I think it's been stuck there for three years now.

...Why is there a cat in the walled-off corpse pile?

He he he...

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 05, 2015, 01:57:26 pm »

I need some sort of 'scaffold' to build walls to close off my cavern construction. Floor bars! Finally all this zinc is good for SOMETHING! Meanwhile, Iamblichos goes out to clean the cavern. sigh

IT WAS DIRTY.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 05, 2015, 04:06:26 pm »

Journal of Feb 'Chaoseed' Alathcilob

10th Limestone - My overseer room is finally furnished!

It has a bed, chest, cabinet, coffin and door all made from exotic underground woods. I move myself out of my old room...then I notice that a number of former overseers are living in their overseer rooms while still claiming ownership of a standard "peasant's" room. Naughty, naughty! I issue eviction papers for those smaller rooms. (Terrabalt, curiously, had not been given permission to move into her overseer room. I fixed that as well.) There are a lot of peasant rooms unfinished. I guess THAT'S why we were making so much zinc furniture...
You do know that is the Hall of Named Dwarves (Beds, and Tombs)?
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #265 on: March 05, 2015, 04:39:08 pm »

2nd Galena - Some migrants have arrived, despite the danger. (Come on, WHAT danger?)

Unless you already killed it, That forgotten beast Ithibi is still chilling in its spore tree. I think it's been stuck there for three years now.

Well yes, it's still around, but it hasn't killed anyone RECENTLY...

IT WAS DIRTY.

It's a CAVERN, of course it's dirty! ::)

He he he...

???

You do know that is the Hall of Named Dwarves (Beds, and Tombs)?

I did realize that, eventually, after comparing the rooms with the list of previous overseers. I guess I'll go ahead and make sure every named dwarf has a room there now.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 05, 2015, 05:49:35 pm »

He he he...

???
Loyal: A pile of corpses in a random, walled off room, just off the dining room.
Loyal: Also a cat is in there for some reason.
Wondering about The Cat is turning into a theme.

Blackops35

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY_SIZE:18:0:50000]
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 05, 2015, 05:52:02 pm »

Perhaps I could be an overseer? It'd certainly be interesting, that's for sure...

Working Ogretime

• Bay Watcher
  • SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2015, 06:49:13 pm »

I too would like to join the great overseer list.
Sounds fantastic
What could go wrong?

"Winter is upon you."

They could not have chosen a more menacing way to say that.

Fperson1

• Bay Watcher
  • A Distressing Lack of Weaponsmiths
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2015, 11:03:35 pm »

I disappear for a few days and come back to find that I've backhanded at least one dwarf with the flat of my axe. And then jumped into a trench for no reason, but that's just dorf fort. Still pretty sweet.
Upon reflection, I realize that Magma-duct #2 will either work fine, or flood the area that the militia trains.
Go out there and make those 12 children of yours proud... or I'll draft all of them and send a giant ball of your progeny at the enemy if you die. Fun for the whole family!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26