Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Final Frontier: Spaceships and Six Guns Game Thread *SPLITTING THE FELLOWSHIP*  (Read 3720 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

“They say space is the final frontier. Frontiers are filled with danger, from the outlaw after your purse to the bear after lunch to the cold winters after nothin' but your soul. Going by that definition, you are in a frontier alright. And with all the problems a frontier has, it will no doubt be final, for you at least...”
Colonel Zero UEE, in a famous speech given to the first Frontier Patrol.

The world of Man is ever expanding. It has been, ever since we found ourselves in this world. New technology, discoveries, or resources are found that pushes those boarders farther away, but they are always there. It looks like there will always be. Even now, we managed to push it back thousands of thousands of light-years, and folks like you seem to find yourselves in just another frontier.

After the invention of the HR engine, humanity scrambled to the vast space that was opened up to us, working to gobble up the new information and resources we could never have imagined before. Who could resist the siren song that had driven men away from home for centuries, the call of money? It was a “gold rush”, on a massive scale. Still is. It is hard to deplete the resources when they are so prominent. Even the massive waves of men are dwarfed by their scale, ants pulling apart a mountain of sugar.

For whatever reason, you are a Frontiersman. The tools of the trade, your own personal ship, a six shooter, and whatever else you manage to find. You may wonder why revolvers are so popular among frontiersman-but the answer is quite obvious to those who have been there. In the end, it shows their philosophies and why they have a general lack of advanced technology. In general, it boils down to “The less small mechanical parts, the better.” To start with, the HR engine generally messes with small mechanisms. Autoloaders also eject a casing, which can be deadly if you leave them floating around your ship. They are less affected by strange gravity, especially with all the modern enhancements. Easy to repair, simple machines. In the end, if you ask five different Frontiersman you will get five different answers. I said it was obvious to those who had been there; I didn’t say they knew why.

For whatever reason you came out here, you find yourself in a place called the Hub. A small, dusty planet in the middle of nowhere. It is the last place you are guaranteed a cold drink, warm food, and a safe place to sleep. For a petty sum, you can find almost anything here. Perhaps most importantly, you can find your fellow Frontiersmen. Rumors, money, and even contracts slip around this planet like the wind. If you want to find the best place to go and who to go with, this is your stop.

I’m sure you will find out the rest yourself. Good luck, partner.

Character sheet:

Name: Cosmetic. Whatever you want, most standard names haven’t changed too much.

Backstory: Also cosmetic. Helps to explain who you are, what you are, where you came from, etc. If you were driven to the Frontier by something you would rather not publicly talk about, you can always send this part by PM.

Inventory: What items you have. You can start with one weapon of your choice, and as much assorted equipment as you want. Things like cloths are free, much more than that and I might have to veto. You also start with 500$, which you may use to buy something useful in the Hub.

Now for the crunchy stuff!

Status: Healthy (Everyone starts out at healthy, and progressively gets worse as they are shot/stabbed. Other effects like “Hungry” or “Drunk” will also appear here.)

Skills and stats: The skills and statistics govern how good you are at something. You get 20points to spend on stats and 40points to spend on skills. You can put a maximum of 10 points into a stat or skill.  When I roll, I add the skills and the stat together to see how good you are at any given action. The stats are shown first, with the skills that fall under them shown under them in an indent.

Marksmanship:
  Handgun:
  Sniper:
  Shotgun:
  Rifle:
  Heavy:
  Explosive(Land):
  Space Machinegun:
  Space Rockets:
  Space Shotcannon:
  Misc Space Guns:

Melee:
  Stabby things:
  Smashy Things:
  Slashy things:
  Other Things:
  Close Space Combat:

Social:
  Bartering:
  Leadership:
  Convincing:
  Threatening:
  Friendly: (Since it is not obvious from the name, it is used to make allies of NPC’s)
  Dictator: (Darker version of Friendly, NPCs become allies out of fear or want of power. Friendly would be standard RPG hero recruiting NPCs, while Dictator would be the Outlaw Gang leader)

Mechanics:
  Drive Land Vehicle:
  Drive Spaceship:
  Repair Land Vehicle
  Repair Spaceship:
  Spaceship Maintenance:
  Robotics:

Dodge:
  Cover Tactics:
  Close Space Maneuvers:
  Spaceship Maneuvers:
  Melee Dodge:
  Vehicle Dodge:   
  Ally Dodge:

Your Spaceship:
A cowboy is nothing without a horse, and a Frontiersman is dead without his ship. Each Frontiersman’s ship is unique, not because they are high-quality masterwork equipment, but because the standard ships are so modular that anyone can change them to fit their purpose. Just like you, your ship has stats that must be filled out now. They are a bit simpler, but will affect the outcome of space battles on top of your stats. You have 60 points to spend on your ship, and must have at least one point in each one for your ship to work. Otherwise, there is no maximum that you must have.

Weaponry: How much weaponry your Ship can hold. Your ship starts with enough cheap weapons to fill every slot. If you have 12 points in this stat, you can fit 2 weapons worth 6 points each, 1 weapon that costs 12 points, 1 six pointer and 2 three pointers, etc. You do not need to have every slot filled, but having empty slots provides no benefits.

Size: How big the ship is. Gives passive bonuses to all the other stats, as well as having more room non-mechanically and generally allowing you to do more in it while not in space battles or otherwise using it mechanically. Let’s you fit more armor, bigger engines, more guns, and even better computers. Of course, in return, you are a bit easier to hit. A size 1 ship would essentially be a pod with no room to stand up, while a size 50 ship would have room for everything from a fully stocked kitchen to an exercise room to a pool.

Armor: How well defended your ship is, either by shields or heavy plating. This is rolled to protect you from enemy attacks. Unlike Weaponry, this skill doesn’t require additional components to function and is a natural part of your ship. It automatically acts when you get shot at.

Maneuvering: How well the ship can move, dodge enemy attacks, and generally not stand still. Gives bonuses to your dodge abilities while also making you harder to target in combat. Outside of combat, it shows how gracefully you get around obstacles and move, as well as how fast your ship goes when not using its HR engine.

Computer Systems: How advanced and powerful your computers are. Can give bonuses to the others much like size, but must be activated and has to be rolled. For example, you could order your computer to help calibrate your weapons or divert power to shields, increasing your aim and armor temporarily. Having at least one point lets you do things like access the local internet and communicate, while high levels might even be an advanced AI!  Unlike the others, this is not required.

Special: As I said before, each ship is unique. This stat is open, allowing you to make special additions as you see fit. I will have to approve them, of course, but it adds a personal touch that helps you connect with the machine. Like Computer systems, this is not required, and most NPC ships will be lacking this. When you put points into "Special", you decide what this unique component is and put points into it. For example, you could put "Special: Cloaking Systems 20" to have a powerful cloaking system equipped to your ship. You can have more than one Special, but each one has to be payed for separately.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:29:56 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Frontier: Spaceships and Six Guns Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 07:14:38 pm »

Name: Everett Owen

Backstory: Born on one of the stations located in the asteroid belt built to serve the asteroid mining teams, Everett Owen experienced a farly normal life for someone born in such a place, i.e., put to work the second he has large and smart enough to know how to do work. When the call to arms went out during the last war Everett signed on, where he expanded on skills learned during his adolescence, plus a few normally not taught on a falling tincan where a hole in the hull can mean death.

Inventory:
 Standard military orbital exosuit
 Standard pulse rifle
 Basic medkit
 Tool kit
 Some food
 Three sets of fatigues
 comm pad

Description/personality(Because why not): A short man in his mid 20s, Everett is pale skinned, covered in shaggy black hair on most of his body, has a pair of matching tattoos on his shoulders (and another location), typically wears his old military gear, is generally quiet and reads a fair deal, mostly old sci-fi and educational non-fiction. He also smells a bit... Interesting...

Spoiler: Skills and stats: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Required Ship (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:19:09 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 07:17:45 pm »

Reserved. Sheet to follow shortly. ( Damn you I was going to get a full nights sleep before work for once and you go and start this!!!! )
Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ship (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:04:47 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 07:44:43 pm »

Both look good so far, though I do have some comments that are mostly caused by me not being clear about some things  :-[.

First is the nit-picky: Aseaheru, are you sure you want a Pulse Rifle as a weapon? I had originally intended the weaponry to be more in line with things like Cowboy Bedop and Outlaw Star, thus the "Six Guns" in the title. Of course if everyone finds this more fun/interesting, it wouldn't be hard to make the Standard Sci-Fi guns fit the Space Western setting.

More important and less nitpicky, mostly because I forgot to clarify in this version. The "Special" stat is supposed to go to a specific component, rather than be a pure number. For example, last time I used it someone chose "Special: Cloaking systems 20" or something to that effect, giving it a powerful cloaking system. I will soon clarify this in the OP.

*EDIT*

Now that I look at it, sorry Aseaheru but you used 30 points instead of 20 for your stats. Could I ask you to remove 10 points or otherwise redistribute your stats? Your skills still look fine, as do your Ship stats (save special because of my fault), and in all other ways your character is fine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:08:12 pm by Stirk »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:36:10 pm »

Aseaheru, much closer, but now it is 21 -_-.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 09:03:20 pm »

Going to see if I can whip up a character sheet.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ship (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:37:17 am by Pencil_Art »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 09:42:40 pm »

Going to see if I can whip up a character sheet.

Take your time. I will probably leave at least one day so everyone from the interest check can see it is up before starting, and will probably still take applications after that.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 09:52:39 pm »

Spoiler: Selv Akkerson (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Emil's Swallow (click to show/hide)

((Don't worry, I've provided the obligatory bad guy everyone roots for. Space pirate from Space Denver!

Does the special work?))
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 10:30:06 pm »

((Don't worry, I've provided the obligatory bad guy everyone roots for. Space pirate from Space Denver!

Does the special work?))

Yeah, that will work. In effect, it will act as an extra toggle maneuver boost that will raise your maneuver by +10 roll on top of the computer boost, since just putting those into maneuver would get you at least that. However, if you roll badly, I reserve the right to add negative effects from turning to quickly!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 05:45:22 pm »

It will be interesting to see how Leon Khai and Selv Akkerson interact, seeing as they are the same concept with opposite goals and morals...

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 06:02:38 pm »

5 seconds after meeting = duel.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 04:04:29 am »

Alright, we will likely either start tomorrow or over the weekend. We will continue to accept newcomers, but isn't it more fun to play since the start?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 07:59:19 am »

Shameless before bed bump so the morning people an see!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 05:51:59 pm »

Alright. We will probably start later today, if that works for everyone. I have some ideas for plots, and some ideas for overarching plots, but don't let that stop you from going after your own completely unrelated stories.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 05:52:52 pm »

Don't worry. No GM can stop that.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4