Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Let's Play Pokemon Tabletop United: The Hira Region (OOC Thread)  (Read 21900 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Let's Play Pokemon Tabletop United: The Hira Region (OOC Thread)
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:56:16 pm »

Welcome to the World of Pokemon!
- Professor Oak

I've decided to take on the role of running a Pokemon Tabletop game after trying it out for a bit on a different thread, but sadly, it didn't last long. I have decided to try my hand at running it in hopes that we can get a stable game going. Its going to be a rather chaotic game since this is the first "world" I have ever made from scratch and I have hardly any practice in doing so.

Here's a link to the handbooks required for this: PDF of the rules

The world is all made by my own hand, being the Hira Region:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Hira Region is four islands that separate everyone. The major ferries are marked on the map in between landmasses. Forests are marked in bright green and mountains and caves are marked with brown and lakes with a lighter blue. The place is divided into several provinces:

Each player, after making their trainer, will decide on where they came from. The game will begin in Macha Village.

House Rules:
1 ) No supernatural classes. Humans, other then Stocdals and Lebrinians with their "abilities", have no real abilities other then what a regular human can do
2 ) Trainers themselves can become part of the combat and act independently of their pokemon (meaning your pokemon can be fighting another poke while you climb a tree to save a caterpie or something or even kick the pokemon themselves). This also means you can throw a pokeball right after your pokemon's attack depending on your speed
3 ) Though heavily frowned upon, you CAN kill pokemon or people.
4 ) For storyline reasons, the minimum age must be at least 15 and the maximum is 35. Generally, it would be best if the trainers ranged from 16-20 years of age
5 ) You can do anything that you want to do. Just remember that not everything will go your way, so go nuts
6 ) Run by your starter pokemon with me, even if you're a late arrival. I will let you flesh out your first pokemon, but I'm not letting you start with a larvitar or dratini. This brings me to the next rule...
7 ) If you joined in late, you will have random pokemon, save the starter, that I will decide on based on the progress in game.
8 ) League battles will be fleshed out ignoring distance and terrain, but outdoor battles will have a map and sprites as well as terrain effects

Players:
TomatoWalrus - Tom Walman
UXLZ - Kodoku
FabulousDeathbringer - Drag
apiks - Aurelius
Neonivek - Charles Juanne
Th4DwArfY1 - Andorian

The Rivals:
Yet to be revealed...

In Game Thread:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:55:03 pm by highmax28 »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Pokemon Tabletop United: The Hira Region
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 02:16:53 am »

I'd give this a shot if my internet wasn't running so poorly (and will continue to until next month. T_T)
Well, I may be able to do something. We'll see if I can put something together...

Good luck in finding players (I may be one of them), this does look pretty interesting. It seems kind of like DnD mixed with Pokemon. If I can manage to download the rules PDFs... Ever... I'll be able to get a better understanding of it.

I wonder how feasible it would be to have a human fight solo... My guess is 'not very'.

*Edit*
Definitely looking really cool. I managed to download the PDFs, so I'm in. I'll need to get done with making a character though. It actually seems a fair amount more complicated than DnD but I'll get used to it.

*Edit 2*
In the process of making a character. Currently developing their personality. I'll choose the class and stuff based off of what I think would suit it best. I'm not sure when it will be done, though.

*Edit 3* Got my idea for the character mostly solidified. Unless a curve ball comes up, I think I know how he'll turn out.

*Edit 4* About that curve ball... It turns out it's extremely difficult getting all the feats, edges and skills to all mesh with my character concept. >_>
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:28:54 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:12:44 am »

Awesome! Just PM me everything when it's done

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 10:18:56 am »

Ooh, hey!

Unfortunately, I'm involved in two games already using this system so I cannot join this one... I'm currently GMing one and I am a player in the other. Alongside that and FEF, I don't want to shove my fingers into too many pies. PTU a daunting system, but it's definitely worth giving a shot. If you have any questions or need a second eye, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Consider this my posting to watch!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 10:20:33 am »

Is Munchlax an appropriate starter?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 10:21:42 am »

I don't see why not

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 10:30:06 am »

I'll join in!
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 11:59:28 am »

I may join in. Give me a bit to look through the books and I'll get back to you.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 03:16:32 pm »

I don't see why not

I played an earlier version... Munchlax at the time was kind of extremely potent.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 05:39:23 pm »

Taking a look at the stats between the standard starters, I kind of agree that Munchlax looks like a major tank and has a lot of stats that are just.. Higher. On the flipside though, it doesn't move anywhere quickly and can easily be out maneuvered in combat by anything that is ranged. If they have a ranged attack that is beyond Munchlax's movement... Munchlax is going to go down eventually and it won't be able to retaliate.

So I suppose the main question is whether that having more HP than a lot fully evolved Pokémon and above average attacking power is sufficiently counterbalanced by a lack of maneuverability.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 06:07:20 pm »

Truthfully I am choosing Munchlax because... Snorlax is my favorite pokemon... >_>

Yet if it is a problem I'd have no problem choosing a different one.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:29:59 pm by Neonivek »

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 06:40:53 pm »

I've got a sloppy character sheet drawn up. I've never really played a tabletop game so I'm kind of doing it by ear.

If we're choosing our own starters, any chance I can start with a Zubat?
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 07:59:31 pm »

Would Riolu be fine as a starter? Or would it be too weak? I notice an underdog tag. >_>
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 08:04:18 pm »

Would Riolu be fine as a starter? Or would it be too weak? I notice an underdog tag. >_>

Underdogs are pokemon with combined stats below 45 it is only important for the Underdog class who specializes in making weaker pokemon strong (In fact, Breeder plus Underdog can make a significant difference.).

Basically it is a helpful tag.

In fact your starter really should be a underdog.

If it isn't, you might want to ask the GM for a "Young" form (which gets 1-4 stats taken off all their stats, gaining one back every 5 levels or something along those lines)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:29:37 pm by Neonivek »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 08:39:39 pm »

I think I'll just start with the Riolu in that case. (If it's allowed as a starter.)
The background I've thought of for my character may be too dark for a Pokemon world though, so I'll have to pass it by the GM before I can really consider myself 'done.'
I know how I'm going to change it if that's the case, at least.

Actually, do our starters start at level 1 or 5?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:46:01 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17