Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 163732 times)

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #1710 on: January 05, 2015, 12:09:19 am »

A spectacle shooter about burly men in thongs.
This is a great idea...not in that way. You know what I mean. It'll show society just how bad it is to display women as sexual objects by doing the same with men.
Ironically, I think it'll show the complete opposite.

That sexualization is not inherently evil at all and that good fun can be done doing both things.

Bayo was designed by a woman, after all, who loves the design.

snip

Long Live the Queen was merely an example. I was essentially thinking along the lines that it has the Story Part (with the plot decisions (if it has a plot), possibly random-event choices and so on. Doesn't have to be a 'story' but it's where most dialogue and choices that aren't 'travel to X location, buy X stuff, train X skill/stat occur), the Sim Part (where you train, buy gear, work?, maybe hunt for food if you want to put that into the game, travel and so on.) and the Combat Part (using your proposed combat system.)

-sigh-, if I had my drawing tablet I could help with concept art, at least.

snip

What would a spectacle shooter even look like?

Also, that sounds like quite the power fantasy for guys (which doesn't seem to be your intention), though it depends...
Indeed - I think it'd have random events for the most part, but you could stumble into a plot if you played enough.
Using LLTQ's training system is a genial idea though.

And I suppose it'd look like Far Cry 4 Blood Dragon but on steroids.

Also with the ability to look down so you can see MC's glorious toned legs.

Sorry, my wording must have been off. What I was suggesting was a sort of STR infleuncing load's influence on AGI scenario.
That makes sense, sorry.

Isn't that four menus? xD
Sorry - I'm tired as hell :P Gonna sleep after this reply.

Sounds quite interesting. I'm assuming some movements would be entirely blocked off by factors such as armor (for instance, there's no way in hell you're gonna be doing a roll in full plate.)
I'm thinking you'd be welcome to try - and fail spectacularly.

Seemingly good concept here. I'm assuming the game will have good weapon variety?
But of course.

How in depth will the defensive options be? Will you have to parry in a certain direction M & B style, or is it just based on your stats and rolls with a generic 'parry' option?
Parry is a generic roll of stats but what you can do in reaction depends on weapon style - like if it's an axe or a parrying dagger.

Block is indepth, directions and if you stand your ground or bash the shield.

Gomen, I need to sleep - tomorrow I'll be here again to explain how the other systems would work and see how this has evolved. Maybe we should create a separate thread for this game concept?

Oil and the most magnificent ass shots, my friend. Everywhere. You can sexualize the everloving hell out of something like that if you want to.

Honestly, I'd expect it to come out looking partially like something out of a Jojo's Bizarre Adventures manga...

... which would be great.
Jojo was in my mind the whole time.

Oiled ass shots everywhere.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 05, 2015, 12:09:51 am »

This is a great idea...not in that way. You know what I mean. It'll show society just how bad it is to display women as sexual objects by doing the same with men.
1. So many 'barbarian men' in games are clad in only a loincloth. Most fantasy men besides that are at least shirtless. So far we don't seem to have a problem with it.
2. Have you ever played 'Mount your friends'?
3. Have you ever played 'Rust'? (Except it has a censored option now)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:12:38 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: January 05, 2015, 12:16:45 am »

Oil and the most magnificent ass shots, my friend. Everywhere. You can sexualize the everloving hell out of something like that if you want to.

Honestly, I'd expect it to come out looking partially like something out of a Jojo's Bizarre Adventures manga, just with less clothes and more glistening...

... which would be pretty great.

All the posing!
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 05, 2015, 12:20:44 am »

1. So many 'barbarian men' in games are clad in only a loincloth. Most fantasy men besides that are at least shirtless. So far we don't seem to have a problem with it.
2. Have you ever played 'Mount your friends'?

It is what I call Competent Armor versus Incompetent Armor.

The Shirtless Barbarian doesn't look weak for wearing no armor, you get the idea that he is strong.

While Bikini clad women don't. They don't look "So competent they can fight you in their bikinis" they look like "Idiots who are fighting in their bikinis"

Mind you this isn't to say that women can't wear impractical armor and seem competent. You KNOW! a heavily dressed woman is probably going to kill you as an example.

Well OK I say Bikini Clad women don't look competent... That isn't EXACTLY true. There are ways to do it without the woman looking like she just wanted to look sexy that day.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:31:01 am by Neonivek »

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 05, 2015, 12:26:36 am »

CURSE YOU SOCIETY! Why can't you see a bunch of nearly naked men running around in revealing thongs and shooting everything to Hell as a bad thing?

EDIT:Thongs, not things autocorrect
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:28:34 am by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 05, 2015, 12:29:05 am »

Indeed - I think it'd have random events for the most part, but you could stumble into a plot if you played enough.
Using LLTQ's training system is a genial idea though.

Mmm... I dunno, I find it hard to imagine a Visual Novel-esque game to not have an awesome plot, but it doesn't have to be exactly the same, I guess. xD (I'm just a massive fan of VNs, and it really does fit this game in my opinion. Importantly, it doesn't require massive amounts of effort going into 3D models or animation. that means the art guy can literally just be someone who's good at art, rather than having to be an animator/modeler as well. Another plus point is low system spec requirements.)
The training system from LLTQ is quite interesting. I think having how well you can train in certain aspects based on your mood is quite a good idea.

*cough* 3 *cough*. You really are tired. xD

Don't forget the gloriously defined buttocks and thighs.

Sorry - I'm tired as hell :P Gonna sleep after this reply.

Night.

I'm thinking you'd be welcome to try - and fail spectacularly.

I guess. I wonder if it would actually break your bones...

But of course.

This is the point where I'd like to suggest actually having it not in a medieval setting. At least, realistic medieval. Simply for the sake of being able to have a large variety of weapons without doing logical gymnastics to make them fit the setting.
What I'm saying is: I really really want my damn nodachis! ;D
Not to be confused with Adachis.

Parry is a generic roll of stats but what you can do in reaction depends on weapon style - like if it's an axe or a parrying dagger.

Block is indepth, directions and if you stand your ground or bash the shield.

Gomen, I need to sleep - tomorrow I'll be here again to explain how the other systems would work and see how this has evolved. Maybe we should create a separate thread for this game concept?

This all seems quite good, actually. It's probably best to make a topic dedicated to the game. That way you can have a detailed OP to collect stuff in.
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 05, 2015, 12:32:07 am »

CURSE YOU SOCIETY! Why can't you see a bunch of nearly naked men running around in revealing thongs and shooting everything to Hell as a bad thing?

EDIT:Thongs, not things autocorrect

We do... Trust me.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 05, 2015, 12:33:30 am »

Yeah.  It's one thing when you go to Barbarian Land and all the men and women are practically topless.  Or in Fallout where the juryrigged bandit armors are missing lots of pieces regardless of gender.

It's entirely another when a hero either gets practical realistic armor, or skintight/incomplete armor based simply on their gender.  I don't care if it's the future...  Boobtight armor still serve no purpose beyond looking sexy.  Which is fine, but why is that a priority for every female character in Mass Effect...

I think Devil May Cry's Dante is sorta a male version of Bayonetta, if Bayonetta has as much dignity as people say.  I haven't played Bayonetta.  Dante's design seems to focus on sex appeal and power, like hers.  But oiled loincloth barbarians are probably a more apt comparison.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: January 05, 2015, 12:42:07 am »

Don't forget about spandex wearing wrestlers.

Now THEY can actually wear outright erotic clothing.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 05, 2015, 12:42:31 am »

I'm pretty sure most women wouldn't find an oiled loincloth barbarian all that sexy, though... Then again, I'm nto a woman.

Also, boobtight armor would be more practical than the alternative if the armor's not there for 'protective' capabilities and they use shields or something (like, energy shields).
Less likely to get caught on something.

Also, in regards to the ultra-tight space suit, yes, it's quite sexualised, but often times the guys are wearing the exact same thing. It only becomes ridiculous when the girl has the zipper down to reveal her breasts. Or there are pointy nipples, but in that case you probably aren't playing a 'normal' video game.
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 05, 2015, 12:43:22 am »

I'm pretty sure most women wouldn't find an oiled loincloth barbarian all that sexy, though... Then again, I'm nto a woman.

Yes but most men don't find a bikini clad woman all that sexy either.

This kind of goes into my thing where I don't even find Cat Suits to be sexy (no more then a T-shirt could be considered sexy)... and yet people keep insisting it is fetish clothing.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 05, 2015, 12:55:12 am »

Also, boobtight armor would be more practical than the alternative if the armor's not there for 'protective' capabilities and they use shields or something (like, energy shields).
Less likely to get caught on something.

Also, in regards to the ultra-tight space suit, yes, it's quite sexualised, but often times the guys are wearing the exact same thing. It only becomes ridiculous when the girl has the zipper down to reveal her breasts. Or there are pointy nipples, but in that case you probably aren't playing a 'normal' video game.

Well for example, this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://trickingq3.com/misc/games/ME2/MassEffect2%202010-03-07%2003-35-11-68.png
I mean don't get me wrong, it could be a *lot* worse.  I didn't actually notice it until skintight chest armor came up in this thread a while back.  No need to get into Miranda's design.  Or the empathetic, pacifist race which can mate with anything and is... exclusively female.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 05, 2015, 01:01:04 am »

Before you criticize that Rolan7

I always like to bring up Alexander from Kings Quest 6 who was a soft spoken, well read, romantic character who often spoke in a very diplomatic fashion. He was written very "feminine" as he was supposed to be, essentially, the male version of Valanese who was a typical princess. (personally though I think he was more based off of Romeo)

And people HATE him. (I love him!)

So a pacifist all male race who could mate with everyone and are empathic. Would be outright rejected.

Better yet a male race who can mate with everyone... Just think of that! That trait will never get by the tinges of sexism.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 01:03:56 am by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 05, 2015, 01:06:09 am »

That doesn't justify the Asari, though.  Even if the male-only version would be rejected, why make an all-female version?  Maybe just don't tie it to either gender.
She/they

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 05, 2015, 01:14:36 am »

That doesn't justify the Asari, though.  Even if the male-only version would be rejected, why make an all-female version?  Maybe just don't tie it to either gender.

Their race is actually an interesting one and the singular gender does open up to some unique race dynamics.

I mean... They pretty much were one of the most interesting races in the series mostly because they actually had a society explained to you.

Rather then just having biological functions and having a vague warrior culture.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 125