Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 163705 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #1740 on: January 05, 2015, 02:42:10 am »

Regardless, if it was a medieval game the armor would be less practical. It still looks practical to an uneducated skrub like me, so it's fine. It doesn't look sexualised, basically. It's just armor that fits the female form rather than the male one. Arguably, forcing females to wear male-shaped armor is more sexist than the alternative.

Except her breasts would fit just fine in that chest-plate on the male armor.  The female armor is essentially the male armor with that plate carved into the shape of two breasts, the pauldrons removed, and the crotch plate removed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

... having not really played the games, I couldn't say for sure, but if the fairly copious amount of ME fanfiction I've read is anything to go by calling the Asari pacifists is seriously not paying attention to the setting. Empathic race that just happens to produce some of the deadliest special forces in the galaxy and manages to field some of the most vicious power-players in galactic politics? They're a lot of things, and definitely prefer diplomacy over overt violence, but pacifist the Asari are not.
I've only played the first one.  I didn't mean that they're total pacifists, just that they prefer diplomacy instead of violence.  I only remember fighting Asari once, and it involved mind control.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: January 05, 2015, 04:03:17 am »

Ok I did a google image search

Here is what I found

Women's Bullet Proof Vest
http://www.safeguardclothing.com/media/wysiwyg/fempro-stealth-black.jpg

Standard Bullet Proof Vest (which is PROBABLY unisex)
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-64617591706811/the-bulletsafe-bulletproof-vest-45.jpg

From what I can see bullet proof vests are designed a BIT differently when they are for women and some of them do have breast room to an extent. I should note that I DOUBT that women's bullet proof vest is typical.

Though truthfully the major difference between them actually seems to be the shoulders.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 04:06:54 am by Neonivek »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: January 05, 2015, 04:10:25 am »

Funnily enough in things like mass effect a skintight suit might be the best thing for armor. If anything that hits you is going to kill you should your forcefield fail, regardless of how much armor you are wearing, then a simple skintight suit would provide maximum mobility while still providing a short modicum of protection for things like climbing and whatnot. If I had to find a problem with the suits in mass effect I'd actually probably point at the male one, since those pauldrons literally do nothing except get in the way, and that breastplate could be thinned drastically for less weight and more mobility.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: January 05, 2015, 04:13:40 am »

Except for Vanguards, who ironically are best suited for the Volus because they're just such a concentrated target hitting you at about waist/knee level. It'd be terrifying.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: January 05, 2015, 04:16:47 am »

Except for Vanguards, who ironically are best suited for the Volus because they're just such a concentrated target hitting you at about waist/knee level. It'd be terrifying.
In the world of the far flung future, the new scariest thing to face down is a body tackle to the knees, not a bullet moving a significant portion of c. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: January 05, 2015, 04:38:33 am »

Well, if you get hit in the head with a mass effect bullet you're dead, but if you get Volus charged you're being hit with a dwarf-sized bowling ball going over 60 miles an hour straight at your pelvis with a shotgun.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: January 05, 2015, 04:54:36 am »

Firstly, on the subject of Mass Effect- The third game has a more noticeable plate for Femshep's armor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In which case they both just look like plates, except one fitted to a woman.

Secondly, on the subject of 'Competence vs Incompetence'.
True there's lots of barbarian women who look like they would be unarmored by a stiff breeze.
But Diablo III seems to have an admirable standard.
Spoiler: size (click to show/hide)
May appear sexualized, but seems about equal with
Spoiler: Also a wallpaper (click to show/hide)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: January 05, 2015, 04:55:57 am »

In all fairness you CAN see the nipple spike for the man.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: January 05, 2015, 05:13:00 am »

Men are very often sexualised in media, and the excuses used to pretend that they aren't are little more than "the balls didn't touch so it's not gay".

And before anyone talk about the celts, no they didn't do it with any sort of regularity.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: January 05, 2015, 05:26:24 am »

-snip-
Why do I find it so hilarious that his crotch-guard has spikes/tusks? That's gonna suck if anyone slashes downwards towards the midsection. I mean, I guess it could catch the blade, but at that time you're gonna have bigger problems then getting chopped, namely your genitals having just been crushed under a piece of sharp, toothed metal with the force of a sword swing.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: January 05, 2015, 07:00:43 am »

-snip-
Why do I find it so hilarious that his crotch-guard has spikes/tusks? That's gonna suck if anyone slashes downwards towards the midsection. I mean, I guess it could catch the blade, but at that time you're gonna have bigger problems then getting chopped, namely your genitals having just been crushed under a piece of sharp, toothed metal with the force of a sword swing.

Had similar thoughts about the woman's breastplate, you wouldn't want to bend forward at the waist, you'd end up skewering yourself on the spikes.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: January 05, 2015, 07:04:24 am »

Some ancient barbarians did strip naked for battle, but they did not walk around naked all the time, and many wore their normal attire of trousers, shirt and possibly cloak, along with any armour that they had. Wearing nothing at all makes more sense than wearing that stupid spiky "armour" with big gaps in it that will mostly spike the wearer herself, her nearby comrades and any furniture or trees in the way while leaving big areas open to attack.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: January 05, 2015, 07:06:14 am »

Well, it would make sense as ceremonial armor of some kind I guess.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: January 05, 2015, 07:08:10 am »

No, it could still spike everyone else in the parade, and any ceremonial objects involved.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: January 05, 2015, 07:14:28 am »

Some ancient barbarians did strip naked for battle, but they did not walk around naked all the time, and many wore their normal attire of trousers, shirt and possibly cloak, along with any armour that they had. Wearing nothing at all makes more sense than wearing that stupid spiky "armour" with big gaps in it that will mostly spike the wearer herself, her nearby comrades and any furniture or trees in the way while leaving big areas open to attack.

Yeah, some did that, rarely and for semi religious reasons.

The chaimail is a celtic invension, though, so it make more sense to have any wealthy barbarian use one.
Our dear governator apprearance bare-chested in a fur toga seems to have raised enought "interest" so that every barbarian is in a fur toga, now.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 125