Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Tea Discussion Thread: Chapter 1  (Read 14738 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Discussion Thread: Chapter 1
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 11:09:04 pm »

As for tea preferences, I tend to go for Lapsang souchong. Nice and smoky, and cleanses the palate between my frequent cups of coffee.

Have you tried Russian Caravan? It's similar, but I prefer it to lapsang souchong.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 11:27:33 pm »

As for tea preferences, I tend to go for Lapsang souchong. Nice and smoky, and cleanses the palate between my frequent cups of coffee.

Have you tried Russian Caravan? It's similar, but I prefer it to lapsang souchong.

Ooh, no I have not. Sounds like something I need to find.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 03:12:23 am »

I have succeeded in preparing the straight-up bonkers beverage known variably as Mongolian tea, Kalmyk tea, Suutei tsai, nomads' tea (the latter name might be a Russian-only thing) and it turned out...
Well, s̀̒u̐̈͒̈̓͊r̍̀ͪ͌̐ͬpͥ̈́ͦ̈̃ͤrͥ̈́̽̐ỉ̾ͨ̚sinͩg͗̓̂̅l̅ͧ̏̉ͤy̿ g̥̹̺͖͕ͧ̌̉̐̀ͬͪo̝̲ͧ̓̒͋͆ͭ͑o̟͓͕̖͌d̮̥͖̔ͣ͊ͭͨ̒.͎̙̫̓̆̓̽̌͌ I̲͝ ̲̋ͩ̿̿͑́̚c̴͈̖͒ͣa̛͋ṇ̪̣̻̔͗ ̲̩̳̃s̗̘̭̙͇ͮe̷̯̗͔̰̱͎͍̿e̜̦̩̹ͧ͑ͤ̑̎ͯͅ ̫͙͈̅ͦ̍͒ͫ̄̚ą̳̟͇͍̠̞̑͆̃l̸͙̰̗͕͎̹͛̂̂ͥͪͅl̟͆̾͋ͬ͒ ̢̦̭̬̠̜t͔̪͙̬̣͂̐͒͡ͅh̏̈́̃͊͆͂e̻͕̩͓̤̩ͦ̄ ̮̤̫̭̙̞͍̑͊̈́͌w͓̑͗ͯ͂͒͆a̻̰̙̲͙ͨͩ̾͢y̗͉̣̹̳͙̎͛͞ ť͏̸͖̦̼̭̜ơ̤̣̪͕͈̾ͯ̉̄͆ͩ͜ͅͅ ̡͚̯͉̎̊ͦ͜͠t̟̜̮̏̅̿̏̈̄͗͆̎͞ḩ̛̲̘͕̲͍̩̘ͭ̌̓͗͛e͛̅̓ͫ͋́̎̔͏͉̝͘͘ G̻̫͈̞̞͔͖̞̭͙̰͓̪̟̟̼̲̜͂̈́̎̐ͫͬ́̉ͦ͛̏̑͘͘͜o͊̄͊̿̾̊̇͑͊̚͏̛͏͓̬̰̬̮͈͈̝l̶̖͍̺̦̰̟̲̼̥̯ͪ̅̉͒̑̿̅̎́d̢̜̫̘̟̠͓̤͚́̈́̈ͭ̔̒͡ͅȩ̶̶̧͇̲̯͙̭̞͇̩̠͔̥̟̖̳̖̭̐ͦ̃̑͛̅ͩ͋͆̄̾̂̾̒́̾n̛ͭ͊̽̆̐ͩͤ͜͢͝҉̗̤̘̦̣̮ ̨̢̘͚̤̟̞͕͍̤̱͇̳̳͖͍͎̘̦̝̫͆ͫ̍̄̌ͨ̓͛̈́ͦ͠Ç̶̺̱̻̹͖̹̘͕̗̗̖̎͒ͦ͐̊̆̀ͅî̷̧̹̪̼̤̈ͧͦ̈͛ͭ̎ͯͦ̑͟͝t̸̳̙̖̫̜̙̠̲̫͎̜̰͖͇̺̯̟̒̃ͤ̊̋̑̃̎ͧͭ̽̏͊̒ͬ͜y̨͌ͮͧͨ̒̄͌ͦ̃ͩͦ̋̌ͯͪ͊̈̀̚͜͏̢̙͙̗̗̞ f̣̠̓͂̈́̎ͫ͛r̲̫ͯͥ̔̇o̭̝̪͉̙̪̎ͣ̿̈ͮ̓͟m̷̨̹̖̘͓ͯͅ ̫̤̱̪̭̋͌ͯ́͠h̾ͤ̐ͭ̿̅ͣ̈́҉̵̸̹e̺̱̞̻͒̿͑̿̑ͮ̎͝r͈̗̣̙̠͒ͨeͭ̇ͦ͏̬͇̟.͖͓̝̭̮͍̎ͧ͋̈́̔ͮ͘͘͞

Erm. Does anybody want the recipe?
After looking it up on Wikipedia...

...yes. Yes I would like your recipe, if you would be so kind.

Well, for proper Kalmyk tea, you need pressed green tea, but that's hard to find, so you can just use regular green tea. The ingridients are:

Green tea (approx. a tablespoon, less if it terrifies you)
Water, 1.5 glass
Milk, also 1.5 glass
Butter, half a teaspoon
Salt, just a pinch. Seriously, a liddle-widdle pinch. Oversalting it turns out just about as well as you'd expect.
Those are the essentials, but one must also have spices. I used black pepper (two, three grains), laurel leaf (half a leaf) and nutmeg (a pinch).

First, you heat the water to a simmer and put the tea in. Start heating the milk while you're at it, too. The tea is simmered for ~15 minutes, then the spices, salt, and milk are added, and it's simmered for an additional ~10 minutes. During the whole cooking process it's stirred by a special method - you take some tea out with a ladle and then pour it back from a height. Okay, so after it's done simmering, you put the butter in, put a lid on your vessel, and leave it for an additional ~15-20 minutes. Stir a bit, pour, drink.

It should taste...smooth, for lack of a better word. It's difficult to describe. If it tastes like shit, then you've done something wrong (probs oversalted it).
There are crazier recipes that include millet and whatever, basically turning it into a soup, but that's outside my area of competence. Why would anyone do something like this to tea, you might ask. The explanation is that Mongolian nomadic herders used (and still do, in some places) eat just once a day, in the morning, before going to, you know, herd. For the rest of the day they drank copious amounts of this concoction to sustain them, hence the butter, fat, millet, meat stock, whatever.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:37:41 am by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 03:51:40 am »

I have succeeded in preparing the straight-up bonkers beverage known variably as Mongolian tea, Kalmyk tea, Suutei tsai, nomads' tea (the latter name might be a Russian-only thing) and it turned out...
Well, s̀̒u̐̈͒̈̓͊r̍̀ͪ͌̐ͬpͥ̈́ͦ̈̃ͤrͥ̈́̽̐ỉ̾ͨ̚sinͩg͗̓̂̅l̅ͧ̏̉ͤy̿ g̥̹̺͖͕ͧ̌̉̐̀ͬͪo̝̲ͧ̓̒͋͆ͭ͑o̟͓͕̖͌d̮̥͖̔ͣ͊ͭͨ̒.͎̙̫̓̆̓̽̌͌ I̲͝ ̲̋ͩ̿̿͑́̚c̴͈̖͒ͣa̛͋ṇ̪̣̻̔͗ ̲̩̳̃s̗̘̭̙͇ͮe̷̯̗͔̰̱͎͍̿e̜̦̩̹ͧ͑ͤ̑̎ͯͅ ̫͙͈̅ͦ̍͒ͫ̄̚ą̳̟͇͍̠̞̑͆̃l̸͙̰̗͕͎̹͛̂̂ͥͪͅl̟͆̾͋ͬ͒ ̢̦̭̬̠̜t͔̪͙̬̣͂̐͒͡ͅh̏̈́̃͊͆͂e̻͕̩͓̤̩ͦ̄ ̮̤̫̭̙̞͍̑͊̈́͌w͓̑͗ͯ͂͒͆a̻̰̙̲͙ͨͩ̾͢y̗͉̣̹̳͙̎͛͞ ť͏̸͖̦̼̭̜ơ̤̣̪͕͈̾ͯ̉̄͆ͩ͜ͅͅ ̡͚̯͉̎̊ͦ͜͠t̟̜̮̏̅̿̏̈̄͗͆̎͞ḩ̛̲̘͕̲͍̩̘ͭ̌̓͗͛e͛̅̓ͫ͋́̎̔͏͉̝͘͘ G̻̫͈̞̞͔͖̞̭͙̰͓̪̟̟̼̲̜͂̈́̎̐ͫͬ́̉ͦ͛̏̑͘͘͜o͊̄͊̿̾̊̇͑͊̚͏̛͏͓̬̰̬̮͈͈̝l̶̖͍̺̦̰̟̲̼̥̯ͪ̅̉͒̑̿̅̎́d̢̜̫̘̟̠͓̤͚́̈́̈ͭ̔̒͡ͅȩ̶̶̧͇̲̯͙̭̞͇̩̠͔̥̟̖̳̖̭̐ͦ̃̑͛̅ͩ͋͆̄̾̂̾̒́̾n̛ͭ͊̽̆̐ͩͤ͜͢͝҉̗̤̘̦̣̮ ̨̢̘͚̤̟̞͕͍̤̱͇̳̳͖͍͎̘̦̝̫͆ͫ̍̄̌ͨ̓͛̈́ͦ͠Ç̶̺̱̻̹͖̹̘͕̗̗̖̎͒ͦ͐̊̆̀ͅî̷̧̹̪̼̤̈ͧͦ̈͛ͭ̎ͯͦ̑͟͝t̸̳̙̖̫̜̙̠̲̫͎̜̰͖͇̺̯̟̒̃ͤ̊̋̑̃̎ͧͭ̽̏͊̒ͬ͜y̨͌ͮͧͨ̒̄͌ͦ̃ͩͦ̋̌ͯͪ͊̈̀̚͜͏̢̙͙̗̗̞ f̣̠̓͂̈́̎ͫ͛r̲̫ͯͥ̔̇o̭̝̪͉̙̪̎ͣ̿̈ͮ̓͟m̷̨̹̖̘͓ͯͅ ̫̤̱̪̭̋͌ͯ́͠h̾ͤ̐ͭ̿̅ͣ̈́҉̵̸̹e̺̱̞̻͒̿͑̿̑ͮ̎͝r͈̗̣̙̠͒ͨeͭ̇ͦ͏̬͇̟.͖͓̝̭̮͍̎ͧ͋̈́̔ͮ͘͘͞

Erm. Does anybody want the recipe?
After looking it up on Wikipedia...

...yes. Yes I would like your recipe, if you would be so kind.

Spoiler: Le recipe (click to show/hide)

With such dedication to the process, chemistry is calling you.

And yeah, this thread will probably be good for me - I usually mess up my tea and therefore I used to drink that brown-black-ish substance that was supposed to be earl grey or similiar sort and I enjoy its bitterness. Refreshes me somehow, it does.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2014, 04:28:35 am »

snip
snip

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That is awesome, I'm going to try that these holidays.

I used to be a milk & two kinda guy. I slowly cut back the sugar due to the terror that is kidney stones and eventually got used to no milk just because it's easier to make. I can't drink tea with sugar any more, makes my teeth feel gross. I'd like to try that soda tea though, just for how insane it sounds.
As for flavours; top three:
Green tea, preferably with jasmine petals;  Good for relaxation. Dilmah's is good, Twinings' is great but stupid expensive. (also it uses those dicky pyramid teabags)
Yorkshire; Great all rounder black tea.
Assam Bold; Bitter as hell, good for kicking my arse into gear.

All of you that drink Earl Grey, why is it that you enjoy the flavour of a crushed up mouldy lemon?  ???
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:32:59 am by Edmus »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2014, 05:18:36 am »

Why do people who eat cheese enjoy the taste of a bunged up mouldy milk extract?

Because it works. Mouldy lemon me.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2014, 05:36:28 am »

Realized I forgot a thing: to clarify, the bit where you leave the tea after it has finished simmering is supposed to take part beneath a lid of some sort - no point otherwise.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2014, 11:55:40 am »

All of you that drink Earl Grey, why is it that you enjoy the flavour of a crushed up mouldy lemon?  ???

It's bergamot oil, not mouldy lemon. Bergamot oil is delicious. :P

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 12:41:22 pm »

I've been meaning to ask, though. As a herbal tea drinker, I don't often drink Earl Grey, but I noticed that ingredient to it a long while back and wondered, just what is Oil of Bergamont? Of course, I could google it... Wikipedia claims it's essential oil from an orange rind. OK.
So, yeah, not mouldy lemon, but it is citrusy.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2014, 12:58:13 pm »

I've been meaning to ask, though. As a herbal tea drinker, I don't often drink Earl Grey, but I noticed that ingredient to it a long while back and wondered, just what is Oil of Bergamont? Of course, I could google it... Wikipedia claims it's essential oil from an orange rind. OK.
So, yeah, not mouldy lemon, but it is citrusy.

Not a regular orange, though. It's a subspecies of citrus (actually, a hybrid of bitter orange and lime).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 06:06:05 am »

Black tea with lemon~
Apparently the Polish drink it that way. It is pretty damn delicious.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 08:03:23 am »

Black tea with lemon~
Wait, doesn't everybody drink black tea with lemon?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 09:24:13 am »

Black tea with lemon~

Not all, but it's relatively common. As in, if someone makes tea, they are likely to ask if you want lemon with it.

Not a fan myself, though. Especially if you brew a whole teapot of it; after a while it becomes... well, not quite sour, but it's quite unpleasant.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 09:43:24 am »

I always add it to the cup, not to the pot.
It's interesting that this practice apparently is confined to Eastern Europe: I've never seen such a thing in Germany, at least from non-Poles.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 09:48:53 am »

Chamomile tea is great when you have a cold, I can tell you that. I don't have a cold right now though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13