Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Tea Discussion Thread: Chapter 1  (Read 14707 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Discussion Thread: Chapter 1
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2014, 10:28:57 am »

I always add it to the cup, not to the pot.
It's interesting that this practice apparently is confined to Eastern Europe: I've never seen such a thing in Germany, at least from non-Poles.

Does anyone actually adds lemon to the pot?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2014, 11:00:39 am »

I thought scrdest did... I thought it was odd, too.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2014, 11:06:33 am »

It's interesting that this practice apparently is confined to Eastern Europe: I've never seen such a thing in Germany, at least from non-Poles.
How odd. I always thought that a slice of lemon was a universally accepted tea garnish, like milk? Never saw anybody add it to the pot, either. I think the lowered pH would mess with the brewing process, but I'm not sure.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2014, 11:10:45 am »

How odd. I always thought that a slice of lemon was a universally accepted tea garnish, like milk? Never saw anybody add it to the pot, either. I think the lowered pH would mess with the brewing process, but I'm not sure.
Are you sure it is brewing process that is going on in the pot? Up to this point I've been convinced it was extraction.

Anyway, after I saw a few fellas from Kazakhstan putting five teabags of the cheapest kind to the pot and then using the product as concentrate (I mean they deluted it with boiling water in their cups, like I usually do with black tea), most of the ways of making tea rather than that I find acceptable.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:21:59 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2014, 11:52:11 am »

Are you sure it is brewing process that is going on in the pot? Up to this point I've been convinced it was extraction.

Anyway, after I saw a few fellas from Kazakhstan putting five teabags of the cheapest kind to the pot and then using the product as concentrate (I mean they deluted it with boiling water in their cups, like I usually do with black tea), most of the ways of making tea rather than that I find acceptable.
In the case of tea, "brewing" is just peasant-speak for extraction.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2014, 11:59:05 am »

In the case of tea, "brewing" is just peasant-speak for extraction.

Oh, I see now. I just read "brewing" as in "brewing beer" for some reason, there a chemical process is implied. Then, I don't exactly see how pH interferes with tea extraction. My field of chemical interests is far from tea contents, though, so I cannot say for sure if it does or doesn't.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:59:59 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2014, 01:58:25 pm »

Based on famous quotes about famous physicists ("You must be joking, Mr. Feynman!"), it's not. I've heard of it around here; no-one I know takes their tea like that, but it's not unheard of. If a guest asked for tea with lemon, I'd be surprised but not confused.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2014, 09:51:02 pm »

* Yoink spots this thread after somehow not noticing it earlier.

LEAF TEA OR DEATH!

* Yoink wanders back out again.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2014, 02:47:28 am »

5 part history of tea. vary interesting.

http://chinahistorypodcast.com/

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2014, 05:06:07 am »

sleepy. Hours changed. Heating kettle.

crappy pre-packaged earl grey in cupboard. either that or coffee. crappy tea sounds better.

2hrs sleep sucks. need stimulant.

(end of message)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2014, 05:12:42 am »

* LordSlowpoke slams cup

white puerh is a fucking ruse.

i have no idea what i expected

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2014, 12:13:43 pm »

* LordSlowpoke slams cup

Is white puerh in any way similar to rotten aged oolong?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2014, 12:17:29 pm »

* LordSlowpoke slams cup

I don't know if oolong is fermented by digging it down into cold, cold chinese earth, but puerh sure does.
Sigs

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2014, 01:13:22 pm »

* LordSlowpoke slams cup

it's just white tea.

it may or may not have more caffeine in it, it feels like it does but then i'm about as subjective as you get without whipping out a certain new zealander for comparison

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2014, 04:06:19 pm »

I am rather lucky to have come into the possession of some chrysanthemum tea from Malaysia. These ones are from unbudded flower heads, it tastes great when brewed strong.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13