Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the new format?

I like it better than the last one
It's good, but I don't see the need with the discussion thread
It's not going to go anywhere good, just lock it now.

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 52

Author Topic: Religion Questions Thread  (Read 56121 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion Questions Thread
« Reply #720 on: January 20, 2015, 11:30:58 am »

True, but sadly Jesus steak are not a renewable ressources, and we ran out in 33 AD.
Wouldn't that have been 33 years after they ran out, though?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 20, 2015, 11:34:36 am »

So I spent a couple hours watching jihadist recruitment videos the other days (I blame Knit Tie), and on thing that kept coming up was that a non-muslim government couldn't be legitimate, and that cooperating with such a government was bad, citing various hadith in support of that position.

Now, I was wondering, is there no equivalent of "render unto Caesar..." in the Koran and Hadith? Or was that just selective quoting to support their point?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 20, 2015, 11:40:29 am »

True, but sadly Jesus steak are not a renewable ressources, and we ran out in 33 AD.

No, the calendar starts at the (estimated) birth year, not the death year, of Jesus. Folk etymology confuses matters.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 20, 2015, 11:40:58 am »

So I spent a couple hours watching jihadist recruitment videos the other days (I blame Knit Tie), and on thing that kept coming up was that a non-muslim government couldn't be legitimate, and that cooperating with such a government was bad, citing various hadith in support of that position.

Now, I was wondering, is there no equivalent of "render unto Caesar..." in the Koran and Hadith? Or was that just selective quoting to support their point?

In the Koran I'm not sure of, but my mother once used a Hadith about how as the day of Judgment approaches, rulers will be more incompetent, but they still shouldn't be deposed. If you have the specific koran verse numbers and book, I can look up the original text and see if I can interpret it. Never had a book of Hadith though.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 20, 2015, 12:12:09 pm »

No, the calendar starts at the (estimated) birth year, not the death year, of Jesus. Folk etymology confuses matters.
Folk etymology, you say?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 20, 2015, 12:13:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On Jesus, if nothing else I still hold my faith that he existed.

An hypothetical question: if you had discovered beyond any doubt that Jesus never existed, would it make you doubt your religion?

I would give juedeism a look if that happened
If that got knocked out too I would probably go budhist

Why leave christianity?

"If you meet the Buddha, kill him."

Why do you need the existence of jesus as told in the bible to accept "his" teachings? doesn't the teachings stand on their own?

Jesus had to exist for Christianity to work.
I believe he did.
If he did not exist then the whole 'Jesus dieing on the cross for our sins' didn't happen and we can not be saved which is the point of Christianity.
Sure I could still follow the teachings but I wouldn't be able to go to heaven by asking Jesus' forgiveness and accepting him into my heart.
That's why I would jump to Judeism, it was what Christianity was prior to Jesus and I will (in this scenario) still beleive in the same god and all that other fun stuff.
If something comes out and blows that out of the water and religion just isn't a choice for me anymore I would probably
A) live life as I normally do just not with a religious aspect
Or
B) convert to Budhism, I believe there was a famous mathematician who basicaly said,"you should join a religion on the chance that they are right" sorta thing basically join a religion for, if nothing else, to be secure in an afterlife if it exists.
Of course with Christianity that's a pretty bad way of doing it since you must whole hearted my believe in god and all.

It's called Pascal's Wager and its an amusing thinking exercise but nothing more. A finite lost is not a finite lost if said lost can not end. by believing in god through a certain religion, you have lost certain aspects of life for ever. the aspect and the gain of not being in a religion would have been finite, but the lost is infinite. also, according to certain faiths, there is a possibility for infinite pleasure (Infinite Gain) while still living and achieving that requires you to not believe in a god, or at least not pay any special part to that belief (Especially not the Christian god Pascal is referring to).

I find religions with central figures even more inconceivable. Not only you have to believe in a certain described god without any sort of proof, you have to believe in a certain described human being without any sort of proof.

I am not sure Judaism + Jesus is christianity. there are certain aspects in christianity that can survive without Jesus that do not exist in judaism.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 20, 2015, 12:16:39 pm »

some aspects yes but the giant part of CHRISTianity is jesus christ, I mean his teachings are a good half of Christianity.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 20, 2015, 12:19:33 pm »

Folk etymology, you say?

That AD = 'After Death'. It's 'Anno Domini', and would be fully 'ADNIC' - Anno Domini Nostri Iesu Cristi, Year of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 20, 2015, 12:51:08 pm »

That AD = 'After Death'. It's 'Anno Domini', and would be fully 'ADNIC' - Anno Domini Nostri Iesu Cristi, Year of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
Oh, people think that? I thought that "it's latin for something" was common knowledge.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 20, 2015, 12:55:30 pm »

Think I've said it before, but I'm pretty sure that "After Death" is what I was actually taught in school. It's been quite a few years, obviously enough, but... yeah. It's certainly the answer you'd get from quite a bloody few people in the area I'm in.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 20, 2015, 12:59:11 pm »

But you live in Florida.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 20, 2015, 01:01:24 pm »

But you live in Florida.
Apparently not.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 20, 2015, 01:03:11 pm »

And there's a lot of people in this bloody hellswamp! It outnumbers belgium!

Think on that. One might think that not a lot of people think it's after death, but there's states in the US that out population countries in europe that you have substantial populations within thinking just that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #733 on: January 20, 2015, 01:07:15 pm »

But you live in Florida.
Apparently not.

I'm pretty sure Frumple lives in Florida anyway.

Th'bugger has no need of your petty locale accuracies, heh.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 20, 2015, 04:14:16 pm »

I am not sure Judaism + Jesus is christianity. there are certain aspects in christianity that can survive without Jesus that do not exist in judaism.
I got curious now, could you mention any of those that weren't created after the first century congregation?
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 52