Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the new format?

I like it better than the last one
It's good, but I don't see the need with the discussion thread
It's not going to go anywhere good, just lock it now.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52]

Author Topic: Religion Questions Thread  (Read 54160 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religion Questions Thread
« Reply #765 on: February 15, 2015, 08:49:10 pm »

Question for Jewish people, who I don't think we've heard from sadly...  What exactly happens to gentiles (non-Jews) after death?  Simple non-existence?

Edited for embarassing unintended double-negative.
Related: What happens to Jews?
i don't think jewish religion teaches about afterlife, and the book doesn't talk much about it, so people believe whatever makes them feel good. i think the official position is that worrying too much about the afterlife is a waste of time, just be a good jew for god and the comunity
it's been over a decade since i met a jew and talked about this stuff, and we were both pimply teenagers euphoric on our own intelligence
Sheol is still the official Jewish afterlife, I think. I do get the feeling that it's not something Judaism concerns itself with overmuch, but I don't have any Jewish friends on-hand to ask.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 15, 2015, 09:00:12 pm »

So I had an interesting thought, specifically directed toward the Judeo/Christian/Muslim demographic and more specifically toward any parts of that group that believe in angels.

Basically, I vaguely remember reading something that made it sound like angels were basically robots, in the "can't actually think for themselves" way.

So I got to wondering what those who actually believe in such things think about this, and if anyone could pin down some verses or somesuch that reflect on the issue one way or the other.

LDS belief: Angels are people who either aren't born yet or have already died but aren't resurrected yet. People can refer to humans, but it can also refer to God's other living creations. Considering that angels chose to either follow God or follow the devil, there was choice involved even then.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #767 on: February 15, 2015, 09:24:31 pm »

... also isn't revelations, like. Supposedly prophecy or something? Something that has yet to happen?
It's a very convoluted vision. Most of it reads like some kind of really bad acid trip. Some bits seem to be straightforward, but I'll happily admit that I have no idea if I've interpreted it correctly. Or if there even is a correct interpretation.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 15, 2015, 10:11:02 pm »

There's not a whole lot to go on with angels, really. We know that Satan and 1/3 of the angels rebelled against God, so I wouldn't say they're "basically robots" - they do have at least the appearance of autonomy. Unfortunately the whole free will argument is kinda funky when it comes to Christianity in general, so...

Well, possibly The Matrix/Battlestar Galactica/2001 A Space Odyssey type robots :P
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 15, 2015, 11:17:50 pm »

The one-third part comes from Revelation 12:4, where the dragon "sweeps a third of the stars from the sky". This is generally interpreted, at least by the branch of Christianity I nominally belong too, as a third of the angels coming over to the side of the dragon by falling from grace, given the later context of there being a war in heaven between the dragon's forces and Micheal's. Revelation is A: Questionably canon[Not sure if acid trip or actual prophecy. Eventual official decision was the latter, but who knows.] and B: Hard to decipher[Can be interpreted different ways.], so I'd say this isn't 100% reliable information. Take with a pillar of salt.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 16, 2015, 12:28:06 am »

LOL
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 16, 2015, 01:21:45 am »

So I had an interesting thought, specifically directed toward the Judeo/Christian/Muslim demographic and more specifically toward any parts of that group that believe in angels.

Basically, I vaguely remember reading something that made it sound like angels were basically robots, in the "can't actually think for themselves" way.

So I got to wondering what those who actually believe in such things think about this, and if anyone could pin down some verses or somesuch that reflect on the issue one way or the other.
I remember being told that they couldn't quite think for themselves. No idea what verse it'd be. Satan did seem to think for himself at least, since he wouldn't bow to Adam out of Jealousy, for why should one made of fire bow to one made of clay. I know at least that much is in the Quran. Angels not thinking for themselves seemed more Hadith than Quran.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 16, 2015, 01:55:55 am »

what i read somebody say on this very forum was that after said war in heaven the angels were stripped of their free will

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 16, 2015, 02:07:19 am »

I think that was just a story someone had learned at church, not anything supported by the Bible.  Important distinction.
Edit: Might be in the Apocrypha (books canon in the Catholic church), I have no idea.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 16, 2015, 03:24:58 am »

The one-third part comes from Revelation 12:4, where the dragon "sweeps a third of the stars from the sky". This is generally interpreted, at least by the branch of Christianity I nominally belong too, as a third of the angels coming over to the side of the dragon by falling from grace, given the later context of there being a war in heaven between the dragon's forces and Micheal's. Revelation is A: Questionably canon[Not sure if acid trip or actual prophecy. Eventual official decision was the latter, but who knows.] and B: Hard to decipher[Can be interpreted different ways.], so I'd say this isn't 100% reliable information. Take with a pillar of salt.
One major thing with Revelation in general is the horrible disease of Nostradamitis it bears. Everything is - or seems - to be symbolic, but it's up to you to decide what it's symbolic about.

Part of the reason we've been 'living in the end times' for almost two thousand years.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 16, 2015, 06:51:01 pm »

Apocrypha (books canon in the Catholic church)
EEEEH
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52]