Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the new format?

I like it better than the last one
It's good, but I don't see the need with the discussion thread
It's not going to go anywhere good, just lock it now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52

Author Topic: Religion Questions Thread  (Read 54161 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Religion Questions Thread
« on: December 13, 2014, 08:55:47 pm »

Alright everyone, I'm revamping this thread.  Since we already have a thread for religious discussion, although it is closed temporarily, I thought I'd just use this as a place for specific questions about specific religions in general, rather than addressing the specific person.  Basically, just ask a question towards a specific religious group, and hopefully someone from that group will see your question and chime in with their views.  Some discussion is okay, but I'd rather not clutter up the thread too much so that people can see the questions relatively easily.

Same basic rules apply: be civil, address the beliefs not the person, and don't make insulting claims without actually knowing what you're talking about.  Believe me, you don't want to piss me off.  I will do my best to remain impartial to the issues at hand, but if you start flaming or causing trouble I will warn you once.  After that, I will request that you not return to the thread, and if you continue to insist on posting I will lock the thread.  You have been warned.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:29:11 pm by 4maskwolf »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Religion Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 09:00:27 pm »

... just to give a heads up, the christian one is probably going to be reopened, in time. A more general one is fine, though, of course.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:04:54 pm »

PTW
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 09:39:24 pm »

That's a very thoughtfully laid out opening post, and you're clearly willing to go to a lot of effort to make sure this thread will remain civil and productive. Major kudos, 4maskwolf.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 11:11:09 pm »

PtW.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:28:19 pm »

PTW
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 12:17:04 am »

edit: sorry couldn't resist a shitpost to start us off
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 12:25:13 am by freeformschooler »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 12:32:27 am »

Someone mentioned back in the old thread just before it got locked that according to christians animals don't have a soul.

It interested me so i made a very short google search titled: "Do animals have a soul" and found that in the book of Ecclesiastes it says this:
"For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity".

What i find even more interesting, is not only that it mentions that animals also have soul/spirit, but that humans and animals actually share the same one spirit.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 01:06:37 am »

Someone mentioned back in the old thread just before it got locked that according to christians animals don't have a soul.

It interested me so i made a very short google search titled: "Do animals have a soul" and found that in the book of Ecclesiastes it says this:
"For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity".

What i find even more interesting, is not only that it mentions that animals also have soul/spirit, but that humans and animals actually share the same one spirit.

For some reason everyone always seems to ignore Ecclesiastes.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 01:39:59 am »

For some reason everyone always seems to ignore Ecclesiastes.
Probably because it either doesn't match up with their holier-than-thou attitude, or it's hard to shoehorn it into "Jesus loves everyone and he's totally chill with whatevs".
[/grossoversimplificationofchristianstereotypes]
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 01:48:24 am »

The reason I've always heard is that Ecclesiastes is considered too depressing and hardball by believers. I've also seen data that shows a bizarrely prevalent favoritism for Ecclesiastes among secular and ex-christian individuals.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 01:52:47 am »

The reason I've always heard is that Ecclesiastes is considered too depressing and hardball by believers. I've also seen data that shows a bizarrely prevalent favoritism for Ecclesiastes among secular and ex-christian individuals.

It's essentially a piece of nihilistic literature. (Or at least much of it is, at other times it seems as if the author is suffering from some manner of dissociative identity disorder and/or that possibly some passages have been inserted by a later writer with more traditional views)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:55:00 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 01:55:54 am »

... just to give a heads up, the christian one is probably going to be reopened, in time. A more general one is fine, though, of course.

Not actually, unfortunately.

I approve of this format - the previous thread was a bit like dodgeball with only one or two people on your team, and occasionally someone threw a shot-put instead of a soft ball.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 02:06:35 am »

Not actually, unfortunately.

I approve of this format - the previous thread was a bit like dodgeball with only one or two people on your team, and occasionally someone threw a shot-put instead of a soft ball.

How do you know it's not gonna be reopened?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 02:07:25 am »

I'll answer questions, but I'm a humanist/atheist, so I don't know how many I'll have to field.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52