Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the new format?

I like it better than the last one
It's good, but I don't see the need with the discussion thread
It's not going to go anywhere good, just lock it now.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52

Author Topic: Religion Questions Thread  (Read 56153 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Religion Questions Thread
« Reply #630 on: January 18, 2015, 11:56:02 am »

Hmm, when was the last time a Pope spoke Ex Cathedra anyway? I understand it was fairly rare that it was done so.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 18, 2015, 11:56:43 am »

Whadda ya mean by "that Protestant?" I like my traditions, and mass in a Protestant church is not one of them :P

And yes, the Church decided what went in. And thus, the Church meant it to be concrete- no bits to be added, and none taken away or edited.

Of course, I don't believe it was an accurate process, but presumably at the time they did.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 18, 2015, 12:08:00 pm »

My faith is that the bible is only up to the first century congregation records, after that politics started to creep in the congregation and the roman church was born, it was sad but not unexpected,  the culture of the country became part of the religion, so it tainted it.
It may be worth noting that I have the life goal of finding the one true religion, so I might be biased against all of them.
In a time before time, I had a name.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 18, 2015, 12:12:32 pm »

Em, wasn't the original Bible made up of the culture of the time, though.

All the parables, etc. ?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 18, 2015, 12:17:54 pm »

Yes, following the line of thought of what I think the bible says, god was present and active during that time, he would go on and mess up reality, but the new testament states that after the death of the last apostle everything would stop and we would be on our own. Therefore the truth is what the ones who saw what god did said. The culture of those who heard what god said and saw his doing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:19:31 pm by David The Master »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 18, 2015, 12:23:49 pm »

Whadda ya mean by "that Protestant?"
Church-goin'. Maybe we should start a club - 'Union of the Religious Agnostics and Atheists' or something.

but the new testament states that after the death of the last apostle everything would stop and we would be on our own.
Where?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 18, 2015, 12:27:53 pm »

By "My Church" I meant the family Church that I went to for my parents, 'cause they promised under God to bring me up in the Christian Faith. After Confirmation, I never went back.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #637 on: January 18, 2015, 12:30:51 pm »

Well, I was only showing how "Jesus said so" isn't the most convincing argument, but fair enough.

Exactly, it's up to your faith to believe that god made someone write that.

Yep, it all comes down to faith, this being the reason that I don't have faith. 'Cause it's rather relative :P

Yep. Since you know that, please don't make arguments based on "the Bible is a two-thousand year old document", since they can be aimed at anything and have no real meaning. I mean, there's no evidence beyond the Bible that Jesus ever lived.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 18, 2015, 12:31:28 pm »

Where?

1 corinth 13:8.

Edit:

13:13 says something about love replacing the whole seeing future stuff.

Double edit:

Arx: "I mean, there's no evidence beyond the Bible that Jesus ever lived."

Historians are pretty sure there has been a hell of a sweet talker living at the time, in the very least.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:36:05 pm by David The Master »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 18, 2015, 12:34:09 pm »

Well, I was only showing how "Jesus said so" isn't the most convincing argument, but fair enough.

Exactly, it's up to your faith to believe that god made someone write that.

Yep, it all comes down to faith, this being the reason that I don't have faith. 'Cause it's rather relative :P

Yep. Since you know that, please don't make arguments based on "the Bible is a two-thousand year old document", since they can be aimed at anything and have no real meaning. I mean, there's no evidence beyond the Bible that Jesus ever lived.
It all comes down to faith, but faith must have a basis to give it any form of standing at all. All we can do is question the basis, as to do otherwise is to question faith, which would just be a waste of energy.

So yes, I'd question the basis for belief in almost anything, and were I to find a convincing answer I would consider it with all my heart.

Because if I don't get faith, there are dozens of religions that tell me I will get some form of punishment, eternal or otherwise.

Edit: Although, the above in no way means I'm searching for a belief. Just that if there is a belief that comes near to certainty in its premises, it would be worth considering.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:37:03 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 18, 2015, 12:40:43 pm »

Okay, being too broad don't help much, so I will be specific... 4maskwolf, does your religion endorses, directly or indirectly, in any way possible, waging war?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 18, 2015, 01:05:01 pm »

Okay, being too broad don't help much, so I will be specific... 4maskwolf, does your religion endorses, directly or indirectly, in any way possible, waging war?
Oh wow, a question to me.

Catholicism?

I suppose Just War Theory could be interpereted as endorsing war, but the actual intent of just war theory is to prevent war.  The strictures of just war theory are basically impossible to satisfy for an offensive war, and in theory if every nation followed just war theory there would be no war.  Obviously, that isn't the case, but the answer to your question is it depends on your interpretation.  From my perspective, no.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 18, 2015, 01:16:22 pm »

Thanks 4maskwolf, It seems your religion endorses war only under very strict circumstances, what is good. Tough I don't exactly understand what Just War Theory means, could you please explain it further? And as a small bonus, was the WWII a just war?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 18, 2015, 01:28:56 pm »

There are seven parts to the just war criteria:
1. Just Cause: War is permissible only if there is a real and certain danger to innocent life and human rights.
2. Right Intention: The war must be waged because of the just cause, and not using the just cause as an excuse for some ulterior motive.
3. Legitimate Authority: War must be initiated by those who have legitimate authority in the nation and not by private interests.
4. Proportionality: The war must be able to do more good than the harm it causes.
5. Reasonable Hope of Success: Self-explanatory
6. Noncombatant Immunity: Care must be taken to avoid attacks on noncombatants.
7. Last Resort: Also self-explanatory

For the question about WW2, the answer is no from any side of the war and here's why: all sides violated noncombatant immunity.  All major powers in the war launched massive bombing attacks on cities and carpet bombed the entire city rather than focusing their efforts on military targets.  While it was difficult in this time period to target military targets exclusively, the attack on civilian targets was actually part of a wider strategy by both sides to make the other lose their resolve.

Amusingly, you're actually helping me study for my theology midterm, since I have to know just war theory for that  :D

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 18, 2015, 01:30:48 pm »

I am on board with this 'Just War'
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52