Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 59

Author Topic: The Mind: Day 4 - Finale  (Read 112672 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind: The concept of "Alive"
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2014, 03:13:06 pm »

Groan, regroup, and check my messages
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind: The concept of "Alive"
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2014, 07:45:00 pm »

Return to base get on comns

"Guys this is security we have detected radio signals heading to the base. All personal finish what you are doing and return to base till the situation is sorted it won't take long to see if this is first contact or a unusual creature. This is not a drill.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind: Alone in the forest
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2014, 08:19:44 am »

Get down the mobile base.
 "We're cutting activities short for now. Until I get more messages, I'm worried about radio signals."
Quote from: Theron Drakosen
Get to the base.

The base lands at almost same spot it landed first time. Alex and Theron both walk briskly back to the base and stop under the airlock. Theron calls an elevator down.

Attempt to locate obvious physical discrepancy within the same species.

You sort through all data that is gathered up to now and indeed you find evidence of physical discrepancy. However, as far as you can tell all of it can be attributed to sexual dimorphism. The little that cannot is within normal range of variation between individuals, such as different color patterns. Of course there is sub-species that differ each other, but even then it is within predictable range. For example according records of Biology Unit 1 in far south, there are same bovines but with shorter fur, more bleached color and shorter horns.

This is odd, you could swear the probe report mentioned much greater variance within one species.

Groan, regroup, and check my messages

You read the message and run back to the base, as that's where eveyone else is going at the moment.

Get down the mobile base.
 "We're cutting activities short for now. Until I get more messages, I'm worried about radio signals."
"Radio signals?! Here? We have to send somebody out, find the source! We could make first contact!"
Get back to the base ASAP.
Return to base get on comns

"Guys this is security we have detected radio signals heading to the base. All personal finish what you are doing and return to base till the situation is sorted it won't take long to see if this is first contact or a unusual creature. This is not a drill.

You two start running back to the base and eventually find there rest of the team and heavily breathing Cromwell staring at frustratingly slowly descending elevator. Once it finally comes to rest on surface you all step in and start another waiting game as the elevator rises up. Who designed this thing to be so damn slow?! After hasty disinfection Mark heads straight to Communications room, still in his enviro-suit, and makes announcement.

"Guys this is security. We have detected radio signals heading to the base. All personel finish what you are doing and return to base till the situation is sorted. It won't take long to see if this is first contact or a unusual creature. This is not a drill."

Land at the edge of the forest and secure the flyer. Venture a few meters into the forest in search of bugs. Keep my gun in hand.

(Going alone into dark forest? Me likes!)
You ignore the announcement for sake your personal excitement and research, landing flyer near the forest. There isn't much you can do to secure it. It rests firmly on its landing pads and it is very unlikely that wild animals could move it. An elephant could flip it over but so far you haven't seen creatures that big.

You enter the forest and stare the ground intently in hopes of finding bugs. The springy grass covering the ground gives away to moss as you walk deeper into forest. The first bug you find is a worm on legs, sneaky little thing, barely 2 centimeters long. It walks on six multi-jointed thin legs and has tiny degenerated wings on its back, probably remnant of earlier phase of life. It has no obvious head or even eyes, but a pair of mandibles and number of flexible feelers indicates where the front is. It has thin segmented exoskeleton.

The second bug you find is eating the first one and it resembles a grasshopper. Major differences is that it's exoskeleton has smooth texture like a skin and its head is odd; the mouth located between vertically arranged eyes. You almost missed it because of it's exactly same shade of green as moss underneath it.

It gives you hard time as you try to catch it leading you running and diving in circles. Once you finally catch it you find yourself a bit more than few meters into forest. You can still see your flyer between tree trunks but it is still good ten seconds sprint away. Sprinting sounds a great idea because you have suddenly new company staring at you. Two of them, actually. Half meter tall wolf-like creatures with long legs, wide pawns and completely black fur. One is a bit larger than other and has hint of silvery fur on its back. Both are staring at you and have their tall ears are pointed toward you. You have their full attention.

Let's see... Flyer is around 50 meters away, these black ones are only five meters from you, you posess a sidearm and enviro-suit which hardens under pressure. Protection against tearing was not mentioned in product description. Good luck.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Other news, currently we have following samples on ship:
* Springy grass (Partly studied)
* Soil samples (Studied) - Awaiting reaction from Geo teams.
* Seven corpses of large four eyed birds (Not studied)
** Two almost intact
* Living aquatic creature in a water tank. (Not studied)

Weather boys, blissfully unaware of your troubles, report their first feather forecast, reliability of 86%. Cloud layer thickens as night falls possibly bringing rain along. During the night wind shifts to north and clears clouds away. Tomorrow should be bright day! They also located possible tornado valley, but luckily none of the teams are there.

As of now you have been almost one hour outside and about three hours left to nightfall.

Dylan Flores, expedition leader of Bio 1 and big boss guy of all units on the planet, is expecting a report from biologists before night. Though I can handwave the report writing part.

Edit: Fixed Guni's weapon.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 03:11:26 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2014, 08:44:22 am »

Take the most intact bird corpse and preform a dissection for any unknown organs or areas.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2014, 09:28:15 am »

Set all my junk back in the armory, then get a cup of coffee.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2014, 11:58:25 am »

Can you describe the trees near me?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2014, 12:58:21 pm »

Check both water samples and see if it's safe for human consumption. Check if the "ink" might be toxic. Finishing all that, work on the vaccine György requested.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2014, 02:12:51 pm »

Can you describe the trees near me?
Trees? Gonna climb up, aren't you?

Near you there's only two types of trees, although you remember seeing more in deeper forest when flied over.

First one: This three has straight trunk and diameter about two meters. Its bark is smooth, colored white with darker patches and its branches are quite thick, easily able to hold your weight, but sparse. Lowest branches are around your head level and next ones about 1.5 meters higher and more frequent higher you go, but also progressively less sturdy. Leaves are board and light green. It seems to bear small light brown fruits.

Second type: This tree has very massive trunk, diameter easily over three meters. Bark is light brown and similar to pine trees. Branches start from height of four meter and are equally thick, but also far more apart from each other, from two to three meters. Top of it isn't as much of trunk as it is massive mess of branching... branches, opening wide like a flower. Would make perfect place for bird nests, you note. Its leaves are twice size of your palms and roughly same shape. Roots of this tree start from your waist height and spread readily on surrounding ground.
It would be extremely difficult to climb if not for fact that vines seem to prefer it to grow on. Vines are as thick as your wrist. Combination of this and the fact that you can use its roots to boost yourself up a bit makes it overall easier to climb, but safe resting spots are farther away.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2014, 02:21:41 pm »

These are wolfy doggy things, not panther cat creatures, right?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2014, 02:42:31 pm »

These are wolfy doggy things, not panther cat creatures, right?
Yes. To quote myself: "Half meter tall wolf-like creatures with long legs".

Edit: Oh, and if you go shooting you can assume the gun is loaded in most convient manner.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:53:48 pm by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2014, 02:54:55 pm »

How does my tranquilizer gun work, is it semi-auto? You say I have two types of darts, is the gun loaded with both types or are we just retconning what I loaded in it earlier?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2014, 02:58:05 pm »

Semi-auto. Hmm, did you mention what you loaded? You took two types of tranqs, weakest and strongest, that's all what my notes say.
Old sigs.
Games.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2014, 03:04:47 pm »

György ignores all the commotion at the base and starts pestering the doc with text messages about a vaccine. He also takes a water sample (if there is any) and tries to look deeper into the various microorganisms that live in it, prioritizing on whether is it safe to drink.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2014, 03:08:41 pm »

How does my tranquilizer gun work, is it semi-auto? You say I have two types of darts, is the gun loaded with both types or are we just retconning what I loaded in it earlier?
Oops, looks like I have made a traditional copypaste error. You don't have a dartgun, that was Yourmasters. You have a sidearm of undetermined type.

Sorry for this mixup.

Edit: Typos creeping everywhere...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 03:15:37 pm by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2014, 03:16:13 pm »

Right, I thought the dice decided to make my sidearm a tranq pistol. :P Does this mean I get to decide what it is?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 59