Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Outpost Liaison abandoned her baby...  (Read 9097 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Liaison abandoned her baby...
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 04:01:45 am »

Hah,  that's cute.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 04:36:59 am »

Champion I do not know, but she can be the mascot of your fortress.

She should make a good mayor, or broker. Or maybe a simple miner. Or maybe a weaponsmith if you have ballistae.

Or all of the above.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 04:55:33 am »

How do you appoint a mascot? That sounds great.

This is what Champion means.
My current Champion is dying of an infection right now, and probably won't survive all that long.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 06:54:55 am »

Is the baby listed as a member of your fort or as a friendly? And has the mother left already or is she still hanging around? Otherwise the baby might decide to follow the caravan back home.
If she stays and is a member of your fort make her into something useful. If she's just a friendly, adopt her as a mascot (not an official function). Build a small house around her and assign one of your dwarves as a babysitter (burrow her there with a small food/drink stockpile). See what happens when the baby grows up. If she can't be controlled you can still build a danger room around her, but I have no idea if she'd grab clothing when needed.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 07:11:10 am »

She is indeed listed as a member of the fort, and accessible through the U-for-Urist screen as a citizen, same as any other. The liaison is around (I'm having a slow-to-react mayor), but not listed as a member of the fort (listed as a visitor). I'm pretty sure this baby is here to stay. She has been crawling around the fort, even down to the lowest levels, and eventually made herself comfortable in front of the sheet waterfall on the upper dining room level, about ten levels below ground level (I have a deep aquifer above the upper dining hall).

I gave her a bedroom usually set aside for quacks medical staff, near the hospital, and have not yet seen her use it, but when she was hungry, she was fed by someone (I missed that, she was hungry, then I went to deal with a mayorial problem, and then I came back, and she was no longer hungry) another time, she was thirsty, and a miner gave her some water from the nearby well (She apparently had to cry for this to happen).
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 08:04:38 am »

What if outpost liaison is other race? Can they give birth in fort mode?

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 08:28:43 am »

What if outpost liaison is other race? Can they give birth in fort mode?

That's probably only testable with Modding Science. The chance of encountering a pregnant elf or human is rather low. I don't know if it's possible, but you might be able to mod humans (so many elves would be too horrible to contemplate) to have a very high fertility rating, no maximum amount of children or maximum childbearing age and a pregnancy time of about three months. That would hopefully make all the female liasons pregnant when they arrive and since they would probably hang around for a month or two they would hopefully give birth during this time.

I would think however that this wouldn't work, since creatures like plump helmet men etc. give birth normally.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 09:50:56 am »

How do you appoint a mascot? That sounds great.

You can't. You just roleplay like she IS the mascot of the fortress.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 12:47:49 pm »

Aw, poor girl...
wants a family - abandoned by mother
values independence - reliant on others for food and drink

On the other hand, an aptitude for social skill and a love of ballista arrows could prove useful if you can make her a noble, especially if you have ballistas...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 12:52:13 pm »

Aww, that's pretty heartwarming.
Hopefully when she grows up she won't just up and leave.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 09:04:49 am »

A non-issue for me, I have enough booze for my fort to not need a brewer for years. But yes, I guess if I hadn't stockpiled up the booze and fruit for more booze and yet more booze (and stone pots) then I would be checking who "needs" booze and who doesn't.

AFAIK the only way to give someone else something to drink is to use a bucket, and the only drinkable that can go into a bucket is water. (keep in mind milk is put into a bucket with a reaction, and is considered a food rather than a drink). This is true for prisoners and wounded, so I presume it would apply here as well. Make sure you have accessible (either direct, or via well) non-stagnant fresh water. You should have that anyways for prisoners/wounded anyway ;)

The only way for booze to be used is for the creature to get it itself. I'm not sure babies can do that - though if it survives to become a child it should be able to feed and drink itself on it's own.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:08:40 am by draeath »
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 09:07:29 am »

This is awesome.  Hope she lives, more than the usual abandoned boozeholes do.

Never got why you would want to kill the kiddies.  Unless the was a siege or food shortage something . . .  :-\
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:09:27 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 11:37:29 am »

Never got why you would want to kill the kiddies.  Unless the was a siege or food shortage something . . .  :-\
Min-maxing... some people think anything that's not contributing the maximum possible is a waste and any waste is unacceptable...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 11:40:08 am »

Min-maxing... some people think anything that's not contributing the maximum possible is a waste and any waste is unacceptable...
o.o oh, and playing dwarf fortress is totally contributing to your pocket  I see.  Well, I guess Ive had my days.  I remember when I told migrants to pick plants in a horrifying biome with undead giant keas.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 04:42:05 pm »

A non-issue for me, I have enough booze for my fort to not need a brewer for years. But yes, I guess if I hadn't stockpiled up the booze and fruit for more booze and yet more booze (and stone pots) then I would be checking who "needs" booze and who doesn't.

AFAIK the only way to give someone else something to drink is to use a bucket, and the only drinkable that can go into a bucket is water. (keep in mind milk is put into a bucket with a reaction, and is considered a food rather than a drink). This is true for prisoners and wounded, so I presume it would apply here as well. Make sure you have accessible (either direct, or via well) non-stagnant fresh water. You should have that anyways for prisoners/wounded anyway ;)

The only way for booze to be used is for the creature to get it itself. I'm not sure babies can do that - though if it survives to become a child it should be able to feed and drink itself on it's own.

I have six wells, in different parts of the fort, all fed by the aquifer, and all at least 3 z levels deep to prevent the mud problem. Two of them are in hospitals, upstairs and downstairs (although, to prevent disaster, only the upstairs hospital is actually activated, because I find hospitals "glitch" if I have more than one on at a time). We had a bucket shortage at one point, but then the elves came through with a caravan, and we're all bucketted up for a while.

The reply I was making was to whether I could spare booze if someone wanted to drink it, not whether I had fresh water {grin} Someone seemed to think that I should prevent children from drinking booze because then I would run out.

And drinking water was indeed the answer, because here is her record of it in her diary:

She seems to be a perfectly normal emancipated baby dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4