Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Outpost Liaison abandoned her baby...  (Read 9089 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Outpost Liaison abandoned her baby...
« on: December 04, 2014, 10:05:58 pm »

Um congratulations, mum, I have two questions for you: The first is why you are travelling in your condition... the second is ARE YOU GOING TO PICK THAT UP?

I'm afraid she hasn't been interested in actually collecting young Momuz, and I think she's planning on abandoning the kid here. I think she's protesting our zero baby policy at this fort, and leaving the kid for us to take care of... The liaison gave birth on the stairs, and is headed off into the sunset.

Here is the info on my rather young migrant:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Liaison abandoned her baby...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 10:12:59 pm »

So is it a member of your fort, or is it just another NPC.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 10:14:33 pm »

Yeah, I hope there's an adoption system.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 10:16:05 pm »

It quite clearly says she values independence, silly.

Really though, this is both funny and weird.
Take a closer look at this text!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:39:15 pm »

I've waited. Nope. No adoption scheme. I think what we have here, folks, is an emancipated baby girl. I'm told that the adults will feed her if she needs food or water, even if she's not theirs.

....I don't remember ordering one of these the last time the outpost liaison came around. I guess it's like all the other unwanted items the traders bring. I feel like a cuckold, though, somehow.

It quite clearly says she values independence, silly.

True true. I should have noticed. Silly me  ::)  Well, she's a fine outgoing specimen, I guess she's a ward of the fort.  :D

I like the fact that her current "quote" there is "Maga!" It's like she's saying "Mother!" in a sad attempt to get mum to come back and reclaim her. She'll be too old to be picked up next year when the liaison comes back. The family she dreams of raising is her own... Poor kid.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 10:59:36 pm »

If she gets back to her native home and job cancel spams because she can't find baby, that's her problem. Worse case scenario: you need to reserve a slot in your corpse stockpile.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 12:44:16 am »

If she gets close to the booze stockpile, atom-smash her without any mercy >:(

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 12:59:59 am »

If she gets close to the booze stockpile, atom-smash her without any mercy >:(

.....why? Is she going to cause a problem? She's a dwarf baby. She is MEANT to drink booze. Of course she will drink some, so if she were in your fort, it would be 100% chance you would atom smash her for... no reason? How peculiar you are!

I think it will be far more interesting to see her grow up with an absentee mother. I'm curious about how she will react when the Outpost Liaison returns. And I hope that they don't change liaison officers back in the Mountainhomes, or I guess I'll never see the mother again.

If she gets back to her native home and job cancel spams because she can't find baby, that's her problem. Worse case scenario: you need to reserve a slot in your corpse stockpile.

That could be a cause for her to be fired, I guess. What would the corpse stockpile slot be for? The mother? I think she isn't coming back till next year. And I've got huge numbers of coffins lying about in the caverns for civilian deaths, I don't even use the morgue I built. No need. One of my many nobles is a coffin mandating baroness, which is hilarious, as she has been in the hospital at deaths door for four dwarf years now, due to an injury when defending the fort from giant floating eyes. I like to think she mandates more coffins every time she thinks the doctors are going to kill her.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 01:03:08 am »

I think babies should drink water if they are abandoned so you need others to give them water like in a hospital.

But, maybe you can backup your save, retire your fortress for a while and see if the baby is still there.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 01:04:09 am »

Classic baby-left-at-doorstep scenario.
Raise her to be a cliche super hero.

For your confusion, the others are suggesting the ordinary "do something really awful to your useless dwarves for fun" attitude. Such as killing the baby, because that's how people work here.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 01:09:38 am by Codyo »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 01:23:50 am »

Yeah, try the superhero thing. Try setting up a daycare system, and let the baby be the first graduate.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 02:09:00 am »

Classic baby-left-at-doorstep scenario.
Raise her to be a cliche super hero.

Totally! The position of Champion is currently taken, but perhaps when she is all grown up, I can keep the slot for her. I'm trying to decide what to nickname her: Megamind comes to mind, at this point, but I had been thinking of another emancipated baby I had years ago, who crawled to me fort instead of travelling by womb. His name was Demoncrawled, I kid you not, and I felt he was pretty awesome. Then he enticed a werelizard into the traps and "killed" it, and the baby Demoncrawled became a wonderful legend to me.

For your confusion, the others are suggesting the ordinary "do something really awful to your useless dwarves for fun" attitude. Such as killing the baby because that's how people work here.

I seeee. Well, I do that too, to useless dwarves. However, she's interesting, and seeing as the entire purpose of the game is to be interesting, I see no reason to smash her, she is fulfilling a purpose.

I think babies should drink water if they are abandoned so you need others to give them water like in a hospital.

A non-issue for me, I have enough booze for my fort to not need a brewer for years. But yes, I guess if I hadn't stockpiled up the booze and fruit for more booze and yet more booze (and stone pots) then I would be checking who "needs" booze and who doesn't.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 02:13:12 am »

She actually sounds great... Make her amazing!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 03:25:34 am »

What does maga means?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 03:36:04 am »

A search through the raws shows that "maga" is the human word for "plague", but since this is a Dwarven baby, I suspect it's just some babyspeak that Toady hardcoded.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4