Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: !!Feng Dwarfy!!  (Read 19797 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: !!Feng Dwarfy!!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 05:45:11 pm »

PTW.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

deathschemist

• Bay Watcher
  • i am so, so sorry. they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 08:09:24 pm »

eh... symmetry doesn't feel dwarfy enough to me- i always thought they'd be more for practicality, you know?
like, 3x3 boxes for their workshops, which are all connected to stockpiles etc.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 08:26:47 pm »

eh... symmetry doesn't feel dwarfy enough to me- i always thought they'd be more for practicality, you know?

Symmetry can be very practical.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The materials are never more than three tiles away from the workshop and the stockpiles are large enough to prevent them from being depleted faster than they can be filled.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 08:48:39 pm »

My favorite feng dwarfy project was removing multiple layers of an embark around a living area with open hallways so I can enjoy them using multilevel 3.

Multilevel off:

Multilevel on:

Beyond that I'd have to say stuff like putting in a lot of time and effort planning a fort that could have magma flooded all around it safely, just to screw up and have it overtop staircases leading all the way down into the fort and destroy one of the mechanisms used to shut off the magma pumps:

Once I get stonesense working I'll be back with some pretty images of the massive engraved columns/pillars from that fort, actually.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 09:04:26 pm »

Rampartcastle

Slightly modified design.

What tileset is this? I really like the diagonal walls.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 09:24:20 pm »

Rampartcastle

Slightly modified design.

What tileset is this? I really like the diagonal walls.

Phoebus, it comes with a tileset assembler to customize it, diagonal walls are an option. I never make a tower without diagonal walls.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 09:56:10 pm »

My compact quarters and the above dining hall. The open dinging room above, ramps, beds, and hatch covers (so the dwarves can directly path) are designed to improve fps, though don't ask me if it really does. I had to abandon this fort when I started modding raws.

I call this "Woodcutter eating marshmallows in quartzite dining room"

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

deathschemist

• Bay Watcher
  • i am so, so sorry. they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 12:19:04 am »

Symmetry can be very practical.

The materials are never more than three tiles away from the workshop and the stockpiles are large enough to prevent them from being depleted faster than they can be filled.
never really thought of it that way, it's suitably dwarfy and also pleasing to the eyes! thanks...

i just need to get better at designing things i guess... think about it more in-depth and actually plan shit before digging.
yeah... planning... organization... it's all making sense.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 07:02:03 am »

Symmetry is one of the easiest ways to build practical fortresses, central staircase, stockpiles and workshops around in one of many symmetrical layouts. I guess, this is the way many people already set up each and every fortress they make, if you save a template and use third party tools no thinking needs to be involved when putting it down the next time. There isn't a single asymmetrical design in e.g. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Bedroom_design for a reason, or look through quickfort templates. Some people reportedly even put waterfalls in the center of their stairs because this is the only place where they can put water without breaking symmetry. I admit there is some visual appeal to some symmetrical designs. Yet, why not a single asymmetrical design here in a thread dedicated to breaking out of the same, bland, secure. Symmetry is holding us back, strike that masterfully engraved wall!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 08:19:20 am »

Symmetry is one of the easiest ways to build practical fortresses, central staircase, stockpiles and workshops around in one of many symmetrical layouts. I guess, this is the way many people already set up each and every fortress they make, if you save a template and use third party tools no thinking needs to be involved when putting it down the next time. There isn't a single asymmetrical design in e.g. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Bedroom_design for a reason, or look through quickfort templates. Some people reportedly even put waterfalls in the center of their stairs because this is the only place where they can put water without breaking symmetry. I admit there is some visual appeal to some symmetrical designs. Yet, why not a single asymmetrical design here in a thread dedicated to breaking out of the same, bland, secure. Symmetry is holding us back, strike that masterfully engraved wall!
Nuns fret not at their convent's narrow room;
And hermits are contented with their cells;
And students with their pensive citadels;
Maids at the wheel, the weaver at his loom,
Sit blithe and happy; bees that soar for bloom,
High as the highest Peak of Furness-fells,
Will murmur by the hour in foxglove bells:
In truth the prison, unto which we doom
Ourselves, no prison is: and hence for me,
In sundry moods, 'twas pastime to be bound
Within the Sonnet's scanty plot of ground;
Pleased if some Souls (for such there needs must be)
Who have felt the weight of too much liberty,
Should find brief solace there, as I have found.

There's nothing constraining about choosing a style, the fact that it easily lends itself to macros just means it's easier for a player to develop their own distinct flavor and change it over time. Do you have any asymmetrical designs?

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 11:41:07 am »

some very cool designs here :)
hamster cheese supplies are low

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 11:50:11 am »

What about other kinds of symmetry - I'm working on a design based around rotational symmetry, for example.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 12:18:37 pm »

I remember being influenced by a particular DFMA upload many years back. My personal philosophy regarding fortress design is that constraints are beautiful - and even more beautiful are the times you break them!

Those constraints come from the shape of the earth that I dig.

From the subjective rules I place upon my design.

From the narrative that a Fortress represents.

From the characters that I roleplay.

And from the bugs, artifacts and strange interactions that the game contains.

I used to find symmetry appealing but more and more I enjoy organic, open spaces. Curves and multi z-level rooms are my favorite ways to give a fortress an epic, lifelike feeling.

Some examples (sorry if the images are too large):

I will plug my DFMA profile. I create lots of Points of Interest so you can navigate the mazes that are my fortresses, and for the most part each fortress is experimental in one way or another. DFMA doesn't get enough traffic in general - there are tons of brilliant designs posted there without comment.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/browseby.php?author=Salmeuk

I will also give some tips for people interested in making their fortresses look nicer.

1. Pay attention to the black space you create. A 3-tile wide space in between rooms will create a single line of black, unseen earth that can frame your rooms.

2. While a single, massive farm plot might be more efficient, taking time to set up smaller plots can lead to a greater sense of reality. And it's so pretty when your crops are growing!

3. Smooth early. While not at all necessary, smoothing gives me a feeling of completion and encourages me to spend time on beautiful designs.

4. Work in small sections. Never designate your entire fortress at once (well, never say never but it never works out for me). Beyond giving your miners a break, this lets you take time to consider the perfect addition to what you already have.

5. Lastly, work freely. I used to get designators-block and worry about this or that design, and I would end up abandoning fortresses because they ended up imperfect or incomplete. Giving yourself the freedom to make mistakes lets you be truly creative (this goes for everything in life, by the way ;D)!

Ultimately, the game that is Dwarf Fortress isn't very good as it stands - various bugs and incomplete mechanics prevent you from truly experiencing the story that would be a growing fortress. That being said, Dwarf Fortress is the best creative outlet I know of. Letting go of the need for logical consistency and objective design limitations can really breathe life into your forts.

I can go into more detail here, but the just of it is that you shouldn't limit yourself based on the logic of the game, but instead limit yourself based on your own, arbitrary humanity. This is a game about stories and characters, grand narratives and epic events - not a game about objective efficiency or perfectionism. Let yourself go, my friends!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 12:21:57 pm by Salmeuk »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 02:01:27 pm »

Please someone post something not symmetrical...
Let's bring out our inner dwarf-jugend.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 06:33:17 pm »

Please someone post something not symmetrical...
Let's bring out our inner dwarf-jugend.

This thread makes me happy.
I'm a little ways off from completing my dining room, but I'll post it when it's finished.
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8