Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: !!Feng Dwarfy!!  (Read 19784 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: !!Feng Dwarfy!!
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2014, 06:45:34 pm »

>.> I'm kinda embarrassed because the game gave me Boattrammeled or something like that as a randomly generated name... so I decided that since it can't be the best fort in the world, it could at least be a tribute... <.< so yeah, here's a tribute to Boatmurdered.

Expected the fort to fizzle out or be boring, but it ended up being awesome, with the McLegendary family showing up, the unintentionally effective world-flooding mechanisms, and then the goblin and troll sieges.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:47:14 pm by Max™ »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2014, 07:24:22 pm »

>.> I'm kinda embarrassed because the game gave me Boattrammeled or something like that as a randomly generated name... so I decided that since it can't be the best fort in the world, it could at least be a tribute... <.< so yeah, here's a tribute to Boatmurdered.

Expected the fort to fizzle out or be boring, but it ended up being awesome, with the McLegendary family showing up, the unintentionally effective world-flooding mechanisms, and then the goblin and troll sieges.

Thanks! I'm modding some raws at the moment. But I'll take a look at it asap :D I've always wanted to build forts like that! Soon your secrets shall be mine!! MWHAHAHAHA!  o.O

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2014, 07:34:19 pm »

One of the biggest tricks I used was the fact that you can alter the visibility of tiles with tiletypes.

h 1 or 0 for hidden/revealed, l 1 or 0 for light/dark, sv 1 or 0 for outside/inside, st 1 or 0 for subterranean/above ground.

Using that you can clean up a lot of access tunnels which is how I got the pretty cisterns for the slit pistons, as an example. Got them dug out and engraved, then removed the visibility of the access tunnels manually.

Similarly you can flatten an engraved wall, even a masterwork one, by just designating it as tiletypes s floor sp smooth and so forth. Though as I mentioned, stonesense can tell that something weird happened because it shows the floors as not engraved if they were originally walls.

Sadly I don't think I have a save from before I dropped all the pistons anymore, in the process of making a backup for a test I think I used the wrong name and copied over the unflooded saves.

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2014, 01:17:07 pm »

The crisp finished block floor contrasts the natural feel of the raw mahogany log stairs, and the undisturbed walls.
Ore veins and gem clusters have been left undisturbed, with minimal smoothing (mainly the pantry)
Gaze out at the enormous tops of towercaps. Fungiwood twigs barely touching the windows in some places.
Observe pondgrabbers and cave crocodiles in their natural habitat.
If you are lucky, you might glimpse Ak Nguslitud, a flying skinless firebreathing lizard. (Let's hope he's not a building destroyer)

Urist McHungry is annoyed at the lack of dining tables.
     -reservations are hard to come by.

It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2014, 01:30:05 pm »

Urist McHungry is annoyed at the lack of dining tables.
     -reservations are hard to come by.

It's those darn kids hogging tables 11 and 12!!

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2014, 07:27:01 pm »

Might be a dwarven design thread, but I'll smuggle my human town design here... not pretty (ugh those different wood colours and when I designed buildings I accidentally made them too big) but hardy veteran metropolis that has endured many sieges and weremammoth encounters. I liked building this. Each building is dedicated to some purpose, be it tanners, butchers, craftsmen and so on. On the far left you can see tombs, graveyard (memorial slabs) and building leading into the catacombs. South from the walls is the foundation of a stone castle (for evacuation, as it's hard to defend this place since enemies tend to climb over the walls. I had to move farming fields inside the walls thanks to enemy activity.

Spoilers due very large image.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2014, 12:19:42 pm »

Small residential statue garden

Urist McLazy admired a fine tastefully arranged statue.
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2014, 10:38:21 am »

Stone sense screenshots:
My peaceful hamlet of seven dorfs.

Trade depot/roof
Ground level/pastures
Workshop level
Stockpile/bedroom/dining hall

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:42:02 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2014, 10:40:06 am »

No flood gate control? Nothing to seal the entrance with?

Were you courting disaster in your early days? :P
I was just oblivious to water pressure, this was my second ever fort after my first starved to death :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2014, 12:29:19 am »

The reason why Stonesense doesn't show the engravings where the walls were is because DF stores what side of the wall the engraving is on, and Stonesense displays that. Tiletypes flattened the walls, but the engravings are still on the sides of where the walls used to be, not on the new floor.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2014, 12:32:40 am »

^That is a fascinating bit of information.

Curious what it would do if I flattened a wall, engraved the floor, and then re-walled it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2014, 12:42:02 am »

Same thing you get when you visit temples in adventure mode.

Stonesense doesn't show the engravings.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2014, 05:53:33 pm »

Awwww, I was checking my screenshots and figured that was probably the case, as I can recall a couple spots I had to unflatten.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2014, 01:08:55 am »

This is one of my more satisfactory 'aesthetic yet functional' designs, making good use of z-levels to create the protruding archways above the 3 alcoves, as well as a defense system for the tombs. The magma can be controlled via pumps to drain or fill at command, unveiling a solid bridge in the center alcove. (I had a bridge built over it in this picture so I can continue working on the tombs inside. It keeps the would be tomb raiders out and the would be walking dead in. The raised platforms flanking the walkway in the center alcove are for putting up statues of particularly noteworthy dwarfs, so that the dead may be watched over and guarded by their proud ancestors and kinfolk. The other platforms above magma flanking the 2 half oval entryways are for putting up statues of the gods in this dwarven civilization.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2014, 02:56:27 pm »

Nice tomb design.

I just make corridors with single blocks out of the sides.

*Steals Zuglarkum's design*

Oh look, my tombs got renovated :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8