Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: old AOS main  (Read 18413 times)

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: [Age of Strife][Chapter 2][Turn 3: Into the cave we go!]
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2015, 06:14:12 am »

Katrianne grimaced.

"Is there anything you can do to make the portal more stable?"

He looks at you.
"This portal... relativly stable, exit portal unstable and not set. Like a tunnel, entry is reinforced, exit has no support, easily collapses. Time and space is strange, not very logical but immensly powerful. No strong mana source, this cave? Lots of mana output, not sure why. Tried digging, but nearly collapsed. Currently suspended by magic, don't want to take further risks. "

He walks over to an other distant table and rummages trough some books, pulling out one and coming back and reads some of the content.
"Lots of good mana sources, hard to get.
Arbat gems, found in deep caves. Gems infused by long mana exposure. Short power source, but easiest to get. Good to quickly free cows, bad for practical use."

He flips trough some pages.
"Mana spots. Like here. Easy to detect, very uncommon. Sometimes in bad places, like here."

Again he flips trough some pages.
"Legendary Items. Like Heldenhammer. Made by gods, uses their mana. Godly mana, nearly inexhaustable by mortals. Rare? Very, you die sooner than find legendary item."

He throws away the book.
"There are also dark methods, or a great demon heart. Finding great demon, easy if person strong. Killing it, might pose trouble, possibly death. Demons actually humans, amplified by magic. Lesser demons, childs play. Great demons, Great wizardry. Take heart since its infused."

"Trying to steal my work?"
Durrr..

blazing glory

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2015, 06:36:21 am »

"Even if I could use your work I'm not sure what I'd do with it."

"Do you have any idea if any of these gems might be found in the general area?"

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2015, 06:54:27 am »

"Even if I could use your work I'm not sure what I'd do with it."

"Honest. Not meant for selfish use. Meant for the people. Days of travel, only seconds now. Risks? Yes. Rewards? Greater than risks. Have to work out issues first, now more risk than reward."

He starts drawing into the empty air with his finger.
"uff... I... around here... Look for natural cave. Mana source here, meaning lots of mana flow. Chance for gems, high. Need to go deep. Cave system here, not mapped. Lots of strange creatures near mana sources, good indicator. Stronger magic also good indicator. Need to go outside this cave, here not natural and no tunnels."
Durrr..

blazing glory

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2015, 07:25:17 am »

"Can you write that on paper?"

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2015, 09:24:53 am »

"Can you write that on paper?"

He grabs a scroll and quill. He starts drawing some circle and lines. He gives you this map.

Crude drawn map
"Not best painter, arrow point to old iron mine, tower on right where you came. Not been outside for long time. Drawing is clear?"

maintain my low-grav vigil the rest of the night

The sun rises and morning comes. The night wen't unexpectedly smooth with no sudden visits given the things you've heard. Raphael wakes up, you inform him of the note. You both gear up and Rapheal moves the bed blocking the door. You exit the tavern and find yourself in the middle of the town which is slowly coming to life as the citizens wake up for their daily jobs and tasks. You can scour around or in the town and visit the cloth shop later, or move on and hope that nobody starts chasing you.
Durrr..

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2015, 11:08:15 am »

The sun rises and morning comes. The night wen't unexpectedly smooth with no sudden visits given the things you've heard. Raphael wakes up, you inform him of the note. You both gear up and Rapheal moves the bed blocking the door. You exit the tavern and find yourself in the middle of the town which is slowly coming to life as the citizens wake up for their daily jobs and tasks. You can scour around or in the town and visit the cloth shop later, or move on and hope that nobody starts chasing you.
((No - we have talking to do whilst still in the room, and please stop autoing me. Just tell us if something happened during the night and let us take our own actions / do our own talking. What if I wanted to keep it a secret from Raph for whatever reason? What if we want to talk to the tavernkeeper? What if we want to stay in the room and watch from the window? What if I want to jump out the window for fun?))

Alternate version of the turn:
The sun rises and morning comes. The night went unexpectedly smooth with no sudden visits given the things you've heard. Raphael wakes up, and you can hear the sounds of the town slowly coming to life around you as the citizens wake up for their daily jobs and tasks.

((This alternate version of the turn has the exact same information, phrased almost exactly the same way, but it doesn't take away control of our characters. Please stop doing that.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2015, 11:20:45 am »

Ahrian

as Raph stirs, I turn to look at him, then, feeling mischevious, I lightly tap the floor a couple times to drift over to the bed and sit down on top of it - and him. but don't end my reduced gravity effects, so he can barely even feel me there, if at all. I then watch and wait to see how he reacts.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

blazing glory

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2015, 06:52:16 pm »

"Clear enough...it'll have to do, farewell."

Go outside and try to follow the map to the mine.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2015, 03:28:21 am »

((No - we have talking to do whilst still in the room, and please stop autoing me. Just tell us if something happened during the night and let us take our own actions / do our own talking. What if I wanted to keep it a secret from Raph for whatever reason? What if we want to talk to the tavernkeeper? What if we want to stay in the room and watch from the window? What if I want to jump out the window for fun?))

Alternate version of the turn:
The sun rises and morning comes. The night went unexpectedly smooth with no sudden visits given the things you've heard. Raphael wakes up, and you can hear the sounds of the town slowly coming to life around you as the citizens wake up for their daily jobs and tasks.

((This alternate version of the turn has the exact same information, phrased almost exactly the same way, but it doesn't take away control of our characters. Please stop doing that.))

I will allow it once, try to overrule my turn once again and there will be consequences. You do not overrule the GM's turn. Period.
You can still go back to the room, you can still jump out of that damn window, you can still talk to the tavernkeeper. The only thing that you cannot do is not tell Raph, which honestly is a non-factor.
Durrr..

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2015, 04:51:53 am »

Mr. Zero, the major factor is the inability to RP and play my own character. Ahrian intends to tell Raphael after minor morning shenanigans, and we'll probably be going outside to the street without doing a single thing different from the turn. However, with 2 weeks between turns, we can afford to spend a couple days RPing the actual events of the morning and getting around to making the decision of what to do, and doing it that way lets us show the characters personalities better and the interactions between them.

in other words, to not just be cardboard cutouts being moved around on a game board.

My character is not an NPC. Period. If you feel the need to NPC the PCs, then you can play just as well by yourself. and likely will.
Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2015, 10:12:07 am »

((... And I just realized that I have not posted to this RtD since the last turn went up. >_<
I'm busy right now, but give me an hour or two to post my turn.))

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2015, 10:52:21 am »

((... And I just realized that I have not posted to this RtD since the last turn went up. >_<
I'm busy right now, but give me an hour or two to post my turn.))

Take your time, I'm not exactly on point myself.

Mr. Zero, the major factor is the inability to RP and play my own character. Ahrian intends to tell Raphael after minor morning shenanigans, and we'll probably be going outside to the street without doing a single thing different from the turn. However, with 2 weeks between turns, we can afford to spend a couple days RPing the actual events of the morning and getting around to making the decision of what to do, and doing it that way lets us show the characters personalities better and the interactions between them.

in other words, to not just be cardboard cutouts being moved around on a game board.

My character is not an NPC. Period. If you feel the need to NPC the PCs, then you can play just as well by yourself. and likely will.
Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)

This is insane. You literally want me to narrate the PC's actions without any sort of interference in hope of progressing the story/quest or events that are unfolding. If I were to accept this to the last word, I'd be forced to write in such a way that you won't have a choice and I don't want to do that. This is not a realtime  D&D session where I would ask these things or you could ask these things. Unfortunately I have to cut corners to make this somewhat playable for an open sandbox RTD which is not minimalistic.

Most important of all, don't forget that I'm trying to enjoy this as well. Trying to impose restrictions as trivial as some of the things you mentioned, take away my urge to write since i'd have to keep the stupidest of things in mind. In an attempt to not auto the PC, because he/she will lash out on me. For 'autoing me, because I forced the PC to put on his god damn shoes.'
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:13:29 am by Mr.Zero »
Durrr..

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2015, 01:30:36 pm »

This is insane. You literally want me to narrate the PC's actions without any sort of interference in hope of progressing the story/quest or events that are unfolding. If I were to accept this to the last word, I'd be forced to write in such a way that you won't have a choice and I don't want to do that.
Please explain what you mean by this, because from my perspective I'm asking for more choice, not less.

This is not a realtime  D&D session where I would ask these things or you could ask these things. Unfortunately I have to cut corners to make this somewhat playable for an open sandbox RTD which is not minimalistic.
Why not ask these things?

Most important of all, don't forget that I'm trying to enjoy this as well. Trying to impose restrictions as trivial as some of the things you mentioned, take away my urge to write since i'd have to keep the stupidest of things in mind. In an attempt to not auto the PC, because he/she will lash out on me. For 'autoing me, because I forced the PC to put on his god damn shoes.'
It's one simple rule.
Why not trust me to have my character put on her shoes instead? You aren't the only one writing here. If you need me to speed up at some point, then just ask me to in ooc chat and I will. I post in several threads several times a day, and this game updates slowly. it's trivial for me to make a large post to help you get to where you want to go. just ask for it instead of taking away the one character I play from me, when you have an entire world, and all the people in it, to play with.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2015, 02:57:59 pm »

This is insane. You literally want me to narrate the PC's actions without any sort of interference in hope of progressing the story/quest or events that are unfolding. If I were to accept this to the last word, I'd be forced to write in such a way that you won't have a choice and I don't want to do that.
Please explain what you mean by this, because from my perspective I'm asking for more choice, not less.

This is not a realtime  D&D session where I would ask these things or you could ask these things. Unfortunately I have to cut corners to make this somewhat playable for an open sandbox RTD which is not minimalistic.
Why not ask these things?
Because it would take up more time than necessary? Unfortunately and maybe luckily, not everyone is glued to their keyboard in this forum. Meaning that if I were to ask much questions some would go unanswered for some periods of time, thus effectively stalling my writer progression as i'm waiting for an answer. This may happen fast, or maybe the person in note suddenly has an emergency or some kind of outage and i'd have to wait for god knows how long.

IRL i'd take 2-3 seconds tops because that person is physically sitting across or near me.
Another thing is being logical. If you don't have your gear on and plan to leave, obviously you'd put your gear on. If you want to go outside and don't have your shoes on, you'd put on your shoes unless there is some kind of emergency going on like... your house is on fire. Then I wouldn't put on your shoes unless you want to die a fiery death.

It's one simple rule.
Why not trust me to have my character put on her shoes instead? You aren't the only one writing here. If you need me to speed up at some point, then just ask me to in ooc chat and I will. I post in several threads several times a day, and this game updates slowly. it's trivial for me to make a large post to help you get to where you want to go. just ask for it instead of taking away the one character I play from me, when you have an entire world, and all the people in it, to play with.

Frankly I believe that I hardly godmod(Unless more people can confirm that I do in fact, limit their freedom/choice), there is one instance in one of my previous RTD's where I did that but after receiving well constructed criticism I learned from that and try  to keep it to an utmost minimum. I'm not convinced, that's the thing. You're asking me to put in more time into writing around your character, logically this would mean that I'd have to do it for the others as well or personally I would consider it not fair.

I clearly understand where you are going, but i'm just not convinced that it would be beneficial for both me and some other players.
Durrr..

blazing glory

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2015, 07:25:42 pm »

(Unless more people can confirm that I do in fact, limit their freedom/choice)
I wouldn't say you limit the freedom, it feels like you rush things along a bit but not to any excessive degree.

I am frankly indifferent about the matter, while more freedom would always be nice, every GM has his own style and this is so far the only RtD I have played in that is actually going somewhere in a decent amount of time.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7