Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rome Total War  (Read 4290 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Rome Total War
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »

I once bought a copy of this at a thrift store but it turns out it was missing a CD.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 01:06:56 pm »

So what was your favorite family to play as? (Scipii, Brutii, or Julii?) (asking everyone)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 01:13:44 pm »

Julii, for the classic red look. Plus the Gauls were a fairly easy early-game target.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 01:26:10 pm »

Julii, also. Their early and mid game opponents are more interesting - sure, Spain and Gaul are weak, but Germania are a real challenge when they rock up with thousands of those heavy spear men, slowly marching around in formation, and dealing with chariots when fighting the Breton is entertaining. That, and we all want to be Caesar really.
This is a blank sig.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 11:30:35 am »

I actually prefer Scipii
So many costal cities to take
So much money from ports
So much navy

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 04:12:08 pm »

I always found Julii too easy (Gauls are pushovers!), and I hate naval combat and having to manage fleets to move troops overseas, so even though I think the blue looks the coolest I often picked Brutii. Greeks are tough little buggers if you don't have heavy cavalry or the numbers advantage to exploit phalanxes, and the volcanic eruption events always made things interesting.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:14:23 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 08:12:41 pm »

Here are some of my thought on my favorite multiplayer factions.

Carthage: Good for 10k-20k money levels. Sacred band spearmen are the best phalanx unit other than spartans, but they can be defeated by Romans with pila and then getting surrounded. Baleric slingers shouldn't be underestimated. Sacred band cavalry is pretty good too.
Seleucids: Also good for 10k-20k. Silver shield pikemen kinda suck, but they should hold long enough for the cataphracts to get around behind the enemy to help out. Its pretty tough to beat Macedon/Carthage with Seleucids.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 05:57:45 am »

I always found Julii too easy (Gauls are pushovers!), and I hate naval combat and having to manage fleets to move troops overseas, so even though I think the blue looks the coolest I often picked Brutii. Greeks are tough little buggers if you don't have heavy cavalry or the numbers advantage to exploit phalanxes, and the volcanic eruption events always made things interesting.
I once played the Brutii and swooped around and took Carthage before the Scipii, effectively crippling them the rest of the game.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 07:19:34 am »

I once played the Brutii and swooped around and took Carthage before the Scipii, effectively crippling them the rest of the game.
That's funny
I did the opposite thing, I am playing Scipii and took Greece before Brutii and I still have the African coast

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 07:22:04 am »

Huh, they abandoned this game pretty fast...

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 08:49:32 am »

They did?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 09:10:34 am »

They did?

They seemed to move onto the next game quickly. I might have just mixed up when Rome Total War was released.

They did a similar thing when Empire Total War was released where they tried to go to Napoleon Total War as fast as they could.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 09:23:17 am »

It's interesting to note that Rome Total War was the only game for which CA even went as far as releasing 2 expansions, usually their games only got one , or not at all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 09:27:49 am »

It's interesting to note that Rome Total War was the only game for which CA even went as far as releasing 2 expansions, usually their games only got one , or not at all.

A few of their games got more... Medieval 2 total war and Shogun 2 total war has had more than one.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 09:46:07 am »

I remember Medieval 2 had Kingdoms as an expansion and Shogun 2 had Fall of the Samurai, what were the other expansions ?

edit : just quickly checked wiki to see if i was missing something, but there was no mention of any other expansions of those games.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:47:43 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 [2] 3