Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Dominions 4 - Round 12 (And We're Up!)  (Read 20129 times)

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 - Round 12 - Let's Draft!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 05:36:26 pm »

Alright, thanks for the answers. I'd be surprised if whoever got the first troop pick didn't pick jaguar warriors, though since you still need a temple to recruit them it means you wouldn't automatically want to make them foreign-rec. I'm not particularly interested in making foreign-recruit commanders, but if added it'd be at least 3 picks, if not 4. I mean, LA Ulm is one of the strongest nations in the game right now because of their foreign-recruitable mages with excellent late-game paths that turbocharge their research, combined with good troops that make their early-game strong as well.

EDIT: More questions! Will non-sacred cap only units(troops and commanders) continue to be so when drafted? Will foreign-recruit units likewise keep their status?
Actually, Jaguar Warriors are now on the same footing as every other sacred since they default to cap-only. You can make any of them foreignrec for either 2 or 3 points depending on how many resources they cost...and you can make any of them fortrec (just like Jags were) for only 1 point. They're still really powerful Sacreds, but there are now a lot more options that are just as good and possibly better in some situations.

Foreign-recruit commanders allows you to mass some ridiculously powerful commanders that are only balanced because they can only be recruited at a rate of one per fort. Think giant commanders, commanders that auto-summon allies every month, the assassins that are actually good. The tradeoff there is not being able to recruit a mage, but if they're foreign-rec then there is no opportunity cost. You can basically get them out of every province that doesn't have a fort, every turn.

I think that there should be an option to reduce your nation's fort level or whatever by 1 for a point. LA Ulm's foreignrec mages are good mostly because forts are so expensive in LA. If all you need to do is plop down a Palisade for 500 gold, then the big loss is the 4 turns it takes to build. But once it's done, you can pump troops out of it and all of your fortrec mages.

----

Cap-only should stay cap-only. As tompliss pointed out, many of them are only balanced because they are cap-only. Make people pay the point to make them fort-rec.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:38:16 pm by Hellheart »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 08:46:31 pm »

I won't be joining this, I've got enough gimmickry going with NationGen match alone.

But I do wish all the best in you guys getting this match up and running. Looks like a neat idea.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 02:00:11 am »

Although I was hoping for a larger game, shall we just start with 5, or did we want to wait a bit longer to see if anyone else shows up?

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 02:07:17 am »

Up to everyone else. Smaller game means much faster drafting though, which is nice.

Also means that I need to figure out a plan soon. Gonna be a loooong night.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 12:21:08 pm »

I'm fine with starting with five players. It doesn't seem like we're getting any more people joining. Though if someone wants to join when we're still drafting, I think we should try to accomodate them.

Also, if you make a unit sacred, will its price change? I know a lot of commanders use autocalc so unless you change that, their price would be increased by 50%, but IIRC regular troops have fixed prices instead of autocalc.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 01:59:40 pm »

I'll double check on the sacred thing in a moment, but here's the pick order: (from Random.org)
There were 5 items in your list. Here they are in random order:
1.3) Hellheart
2.4) akirilus
3.5) AlStar
4.2) Boksi
5.1) tompliss

Timestamp: 2014-11-23 18:58:38 UTC

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 02:11:07 pm »

Scout, right? And we're picking from EA?

Demonbred.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 02:20:33 pm »

Scout, right? And we're picking from EA?

Demonbred.
Yes, EA.

Ok, Hellheart chooses 1537, Demonbred. (In the future, everyone put down the unit ID, if you could.) Note that it's cap only. Which is fine, but you'll need to burn a pick if you want it in your forts.

akirilus is up next.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 02:44:18 pm »

I don't know if this will be needed by anyone, but to help the draft go smoothly, here's a quick tutorial for easily seeing what your choices are:

Go to http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/
check "advanced"
From the drop down fields, select "early era", "commanders", and check "national only"
For scouts, you'll want to be searching by property "stealthy" (without quotes) >= 10.
Click on the resulting list to order it by whatever you want (probably gold cost, although possibly by magic path or sacred.)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 03:08:05 pm »

By the way, why no sacred for scouts ?
I mean, Jotun scouts are sacred, after all.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 03:21:04 pm »

By the way, why no sacred for scouts ?
I mean, Jotun scouts are sacred, after all.
I suppose they could be, although they'd default to cap only. The important points are really no leadership and no magic.

akirilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 07:38:49 pm »

I am going to pick

Unit 484:  Caelian Scout

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 07:50:52 pm »

I am going to pick

Unit 484:  Caelian Scout
So noted. I'll take 429, Slayer.

Boksi, you're up.

Edit:
Also, if you make a unit sacred, will its price change? I know a lot of commanders use autocalc so unless you change that, their price would be increased by 50%, but IIRC regular troops have fixed prices instead of autocalc.
Ok, so I just tested this:
Commander - Unit 1893 (Imperial Geomancer) normally 65 gold, 4 res. With #holy, 85 gold, 4 res.
Troop - Unit 424 (Meteorite Guard) normally 13 gold, 30 resources. With #holy, 16 gold, 30 res.
So there's definitely a price increase, although it's not a 50% increase. Now, if this price increase feels unfair, I'm pretty sure I can manually set the price back to where it normally is, although honestly I'm leaning towards just leaving it, since you are getting a better unit out of it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:59:10 pm by AlStar »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 09:24:23 pm »

Yeah, I checked the modding manual and it says it's a 30% increase in price. That sounds fair, given that you get halved upkeep and blessings for it. Anyway,

#1680 - Scout.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 09:34:24 pm »

#1680 - Scout.
At first I wondered why you'd want just a plain scout. Then I looked it up and "ah, apparently the Atlantians don't name their units."

Anyway, tompliss, you've got a double pick, both scout and normal commander.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15