Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164340 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #690 on: March 01, 2015, 08:41:50 am »

but whichever works as long as there's progress.
Report composed, messages shot.

About new shard lasers: anyone a particular opinion on how they'd like to see that come about? Right now, I'm leaning towards a blaster-type thing, meaning no continuous sweeps, but individual shots of higher power. Loses some suppressive ability (and ammo, perhaps), wins power. For the pistol, I don't think sweeping is that important, but fof the infantry rifle it could be good. I guess I could try to go for a weapon that can do both, but that might increase cost, and I wanna keep it cheap. Right now, I'm thinking of the following variants:
-'Laserpen': looks like a pen, contains a tiny shard to fire a one-time laser. For black ops teams.
-'pistol': a decent sidearm, to replace the handlaser (which nobody ever uses). Cheapness important, range much less, laser rifle power would be nice.
-replacement for laser rifle, gauss rifle sized or so (could also go for a smaller design, but will mean less power/battery due to smaller size). Wieldable by regular human, price important factor (no more pricey than current laser weapons if possible, or only a token more).
-exoskeleton/battlesuit version, would be blaster type (suppressive fire isn't as needed against battlesuits I'd think). More like an energy bazooka perhaps. Will need cooling, will add quite some weight, might also need cooling plates. Depending on size and weight, might not be usable by regular exoskeletons.

For some of these, an 'overcharge' option that uses all the energy of the shard but melts to slag could be considered, but might also increase price.

If sharkmist robots work out, we might be able to use them to replace robosods for own use. We can still make those though, since those would be much safer to export to allies than sharkmist lifeforms that are more potent beyond just armor. Anyone comments on this admittedly preliminary idea? Next tot that, it might have some interesting applications for Sword peeps.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:51:28 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 01, 2015, 08:56:58 am »

I say you make a super-good sniper weapon from that shard technology. Given individual shots are more powerful, but more expensive comared to, say, Gauss rounds, which seem to be closest analogue in combat usage, given the description.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 01, 2015, 09:00:19 am »

I seem to recall from somewhere that pulse lasers (rather than continious wave like we currently employ) allow for greater power/damage/energy efficiency or something like that. It might not be true anymore in this far future of ERverse, but at least it's worth investigating. I am sure Pyro/Sean/others are far more knowledgeable on that matter.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 01, 2015, 09:08:22 am »

I say that the raditite shards should be combined with particle accumulator tech.

Because any gun that rolls for how many pieces your temmates are blow into instead of which pieces are hit definitely need to be made stronger and more compact.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 01, 2015, 09:09:56 am »

I seem to recall from somewhere that pulse lasers (rather than continious wave like we currently employ) allow for greater power/damage/energy efficiency or something like that. It might not be true anymore in this far future of ERverse, but at least it's worth investigating. I am sure Pyro/Sean/others are far more knowledgeable on that matter.

From the most wikid of pedias:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So as far as I can tell, depending on design it is indeed possible to get higher power by making the laser pulsed.

I say you make a super-good sniper weapon from that shard technology. Given individual shots are more powerful, but more expensive comared to, say, Gauss rounds, which seem to be closest analogue in combat usage, given the description.

A laser is already kinda a sniper though in terms of range I'd think, but maybe I can sell a scope and bipod (and perhaps extra focusing lens?) as an extra?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:12:55 am by Radio Controlled »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 01, 2015, 09:16:39 am »

A laser is already kinda a sniper though in terms of range I'd think, but maybe I can sell a scope and bipod (and perhaps extra focusing lens?) as an extra?

Yeah, that'll probably be right thing to do. I cannot completely catch up with the speed you guys are thinking.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 01, 2015, 09:21:24 am »

About new shard lasers: anyone a particular opinion on how they'd like to see that come about? Right now, I'm leaning towards a blaster-type thing, meaning no continuous sweeps, but individual shots of higher power. Loses some suppressive ability (and ammo, perhaps), wins power. For the pistol, I don't think sweeping is that important, but fof the infantry rifle it could be good. I guess I could try to go for a weapon that can do both, but that might increase cost, and I wanna keep it cheap. Right now, I'm thinking of the following variants:
-'Laserpen': looks like a pen, contains a tiny shard to fire a one-time laser. For black ops teams.
-'pistol': a decent sidearm, to replace the handlaser (which nobody ever uses). Cheapness important, range much less, laser rifle power would be nice.
-replacement for laser rifle, gauss rifle sized or so (could also go for a smaller design, but will mean less power/battery due to smaller size). Wieldable by regular human, price important factor (no more pricey than current laser weapons if possible, or only a token more).
-exoskeleton/battlesuit version, would be blaster type (suppressive fire isn't as needed against battlesuits I'd think). More like an energy bazooka perhaps. Will need cooling, will add quite some weight, might also need cooling plates. Depending on size and weight, might not be usable by regular exoskeletons.

The laserpen is an interesting concept, but why not use the one advantage a hand laser has and adapt it for black ops instead? Make a laser hand. A cybernetic hand, or hand implant, with an integrated micro laser, whether generator or blueshard powered.

Having a laser rifle-power pistol-sized sidearm would be neat, but I suspect it would be more expensive, both to buy and maintain, than a laser rifle. It'd be mostly useful for black ops, again, where the weapon being inconspicuous yet powerful is the most useful aspect.

A straight-up heavy laser rifle is a good idea, regardless of how it is powered. We are rather lacking in compact yet powerful conventional energy weapons.

The blaster version for exosuits though... well, the PEW is pretty much the same thing, isn't it? Large, powerful, heavy, (because it) requires cooling. The only downside is the huge recharge time. Assuming this blaster cannon thing will be able to fire much quicker, they should be able to coexist even if the ammo for the blaster (the blueshard cells) is going to be much more expensive than coldplates.

For some of these, an 'overcharge' option that uses all the energy of the shard but melts to slag could be considered, but might also increase price.
Why would it increase price though? Explosive overclocking is explosive exactly because no extra precautions have been taken to prevent the exploding. If the overcharge option is possible, you should add it.

If sharkmist robots work out, we might be able to use them to replace robosods for own use. We can still make those though, since those would be much safer to export to allies than sharkmist lifeforms that are more potent beyond just armor. Anyone comments on this admittedly preliminary idea? Next tot that, it might have some interesting applications for Sword peeps.
Sharkbots should definitely not be an export item. I'd be wary of even using them in regular combat of any kind. Defending any bases and installations of ours would be a pretty good use though. They're light on maintenance cost, and should be a nasty surprise to any attackers, plus the chances of them being discovered and hauled off for study are less if they're not always sent into enemy territory.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #697 on: March 01, 2015, 09:35:39 am »

Just remember that bluerad is radioactive, so it might be harder for spec ops teams to smuggle it. Not to mention the kind of long term health problems it could cause, so it's best used by sods only.

Irrelevant thoughts about propaganda:  A good question to ask when considering how another civilization might view the use of sods is "Is the use of War Dogs acceptable?" and "What is the difference between a sod and a dog, beyond the fact that a dog is probably smarter and has more feelings than a sod?"
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:46:58 am by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 01, 2015, 09:49:25 am »

Yeah, that'll probably be right thing to do. I cannot completely catch up with the speed you guys are thinking.
We just have more experience with this stuff, it's really something you get better at. You'll get there in no time.

The laserpen is an interesting concept, but why not use the one advantage a hand laser has and adapt it for black ops instead? Make a laser hand. A cybernetic hand, or hand implant, with an integrated micro laser, whether generator or blueshard powered.

Also a good possibility. Problem is that those might be harder to hide, or to get rid of in case of trouble (you can just ditch a laserpen in the nearest trashcan). And also because it might be cheaper (needs no modification of a body).

Having a laser rifle-power pistol-sized sidearm would be neat, but I suspect it would be more expensive, both to buy and maintain, than a laser rifle. It'd be mostly useful for black ops, again, where the weapon being inconspicuous yet powerful is the most useful aspect.

I was originally looking to create a decent sidearm also for people who want to use a powerful 'main weapon' (eg gauss cannon) but would like a light and small anti-infantry option as well, and a pistol sounded ideal. Also for example for sod forces. But indeed, it might find a better use with blops, we'll have to see what price we can get it to.

The blaster version for exosuits though... well, the PEW is pretty much the same thing, isn't it? Large, powerful, heavy, (because it) requires cooling. The only downside is the huge recharge time. Assuming this blaster cannon thing will be able to fire much quicker, they should be able to coexist even if the ammo for the blaster (the blueshard cells) is going to be much more expensive than coldplates.
Yeah, depending on price, weight and power there might be large overlap with a PEW. Will need to see, but if there's too much I might discard this one (no use in cluttering up the armory with mostly redundant stuff). Too bad we can't couple the two, that'd be most convenient. Though you might find a way to do that.

Why would it increase price though? Explosive overclocking is explosive exactly because no extra precautions have been taken to prevent the exploding. If the overcharge option is possible, you should add it.

Because I don't think you can just route more power through a system designed to handle a certain amount without possible consequences. Maybe the thing will discoball and shoot the user as well, maybe it'll explode instead of just melting. I'm looking for a 'burner' type thing, that destroys the weapon but not the user, and that might increase cost.

Just remember that bluerad is radioactive, so it might be harder for spec ops teams to smuggle it. Not to mention the kind of long term health problems it could cause, so it's best used by sods only.

Do tiny shards give off that much that it'd be easily detectable? And I don't think we have to worry too much about long term health hazards if the user has access to ER meditech (though it might be a problem for exporting).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:50:58 am by Radio Controlled »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 01, 2015, 09:51:15 am »

Irrelevant thoughts about propaganda:  A good question to ask when considering how another civilization might view the use of sods is "Is the use of War Dogs acceptable?" and "What is the difference between a sod and a dog, beyond the fact that a dog is probably smarter and has more feelings than a sod?"

>propaganda issues
>googling up Goebbels' memoirs right away
Sigs

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 01, 2015, 05:46:28 pm »

Stock action: punch all wierd stuff (that has physical form) that gets too close. Xan counts as wierd stuff

Unless you were Doom Hand Man and I forgot, I don't recommend. Xantalos is unpleasantly sticky, like an overweight flayed drunkard.
Why does everyone always seem to make oddly specific comparisons?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 01, 2015, 09:16:58 pm »

No reason at all.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 02, 2015, 06:03:27 pm »

The reason why we have lasers rather than traditional guns is because the background says so.  ;-p  In reality, guns are amazing weapons.  In here, they're not.  That's really the end of it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 03, 2015, 10:43:24 am »

I dislike the idea of making our standard lasrifles blaster weapons.  From a realism standpoint, continuous fire lasers act as a good suppression weapon.  Plus, most heavy armor is more easily defeated by kinetics, and kinetics do more damage for a given power supply anyway.

I could see making blaster weapons becoming standard, IF the UWM starts copying our armor tech.  Then, lasrifles capable of immediately melting a lot of hexbug would be useful.  Aside from that use though, blaster weapons are really just guns that deal energy damage rather than kinetic damage.  They aren't sufficiently interesting or different to justify.

@Dev

Wha?  Kinetic guns are pretty great in ER.  Yes, they have weird damage variablitity, but all ER weapons have that.

Mostly, I thought we use lasrifles because our tech was Altered War tech, and back then kinetics were just slightly better than useless.  Laser weapons could at least *destroy* biomass, whereas Altered would just heal bullet wounds.  Now, we're just using lasers because they have options kinetics don't have, like infinite ammo and variable wavelength.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 03, 2015, 11:27:21 am »

Except for lasers to really work that way, they need a way better powersource than meagre 30-second batteries our lasrifles come with.
In theory, having nice suppression weapons at our disposal is a good thing, but lasrifles probably don't quite cut it. And then anyone in a half-decent armor (I am not speaking of anti-laser armor here, even, more like the civic defender longcoats) require a few moments of concentrated las-fire to burn through - which, with a sweep, is not what would happen.
So it seems that a cutting laser (or something similar, but maybe slightly stepped down in terms of penetrating power) would fit the role well - and I think we already have FEL weapons (both types) fit that niche nicely, beside having certain side uses; yet the basic infantryman might benefit more from lasblasters. It is also worth bearing in mind that, it seems, the accuracy advantage of hitting with a sweep against hitting with a single shot is negligible here, between the way rules work (unfortunately) and the sod level of marksmanship (fortunately).

One more thing to consider: I wonder how good the lasers really work at suppression, psychologically speaking. Sure, if someone peeks an unarmored bodypart out of the cover, and you sweep it down, the opponent has just lost it. However, unlike bullets, lasers are invisible (so far; and it's efficient this way) and possibly even noiseless (I really don't know enough about this part). Is it a greater deterrent to leaving cover an invisible silent death that may or may not be there waiting for you, or very well visible, audible and generally unmissable death that rains just out of your cover?
And then sods simply don't care for their lives, so that perhaps suppression weapons themselves are too situational in this day and age and better suited to fighting UWM militia or something.

And finally, what I'd like to say - as far as Altered Wars-style laser rifles have their use, we can still supply our troops with them (because we supposedly have tons and tons of crates with those). However, we might want to start mass-producing new weapons now so that when they are finally required, we could arm all of our forces before our enemy can reconsider their approach.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 155