Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164334 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #705 on: March 03, 2015, 11:38:24 am »

Keep in mind several people use cutting lasers while nobody's used a Heavy Gauss Cannon.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 03, 2015, 12:01:20 pm »

Heavy Gauss Cannons are a relic right now. They are hilariously overpowered against humans, and grossly innefficient against battlesuits, the two most common enemies. PSLs outshine the HGC in almost every regard. Right now we are headed towards a primarily energy-and-piezoelectric-weapon army. We (or Anton at least) are planning to begin mass production of new weapon types as soon as field testing results are back.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 03, 2015, 12:06:09 pm »

Have the nuclear loads ever been tested?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 03, 2015, 12:09:54 pm »

I really really want to see crystalline-projectile grenades :P

That said, I'm slightly afraid that it might be the only good use that tech-branch might compete with piezoshards. Unless we make complex projectiles, of course.

Also, the treatment/containment method for crystalline wounds is still not found, it appears, unfortunately.

Have the nuclear loads ever been tested?
I don't think so, actually.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 03, 2015, 12:18:14 pm »

Good thing we're looking to add a firing range on the Sword!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 03, 2015, 12:27:41 pm »

@Nik

For laser suppression, I think holding the beam on the enemy's cover, and maybe just past it, would be sufficient.  It'll be visibly melting he cover.  Even if it isn't obvious, anyone who peeks out will notice very quickly, and any allies would be quite hesitant to follow (even once the shooter leaves, since it isn't obvious!).  This utility greatly increases if you use an FEL, since you can set it to visible light, and wide angle.  Coating the entirety of someone's cover might not kill them if they peek out, but it'll probably blind them, or at least render it impossible to return fire.

For a gun to suppress better than a laser, it needs to constantly be expending ammo.  Even the Testament, which has a 180 round magazine, would run out of ammo pretty quick.  We could make a gun with a larger ammo pool, but the reduced damage would mean any troops with even minor armor would be practically immune to suppression.

I honestly think adding a generator to all our standard lasers would be a good idea.  It might add a token to the cost, but an infinite ammo weapon is very useful, especially since it can also be used for utility things, like cutting.

You mentioned lasblasters being useful as a cheap laser weapon for infantrymen.  My question is why we need such a thing.  Kinetics do more damage, and are generally better against armor.  We don't often have targets that require energy weapons to deal with, and when we do, continual beam weapons are better.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 03, 2015, 12:34:41 pm »

The only thing that still bugs me about beam weapons is extreme predictability of the projectile trajectory, which isn't quite good, because trained soldiers can just dodge continuous beams with some acrobatics.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 03, 2015, 12:38:03 pm »

Because cheap and efficient kinetic-resistant armor is more readily available than energy-resistant? I am speaking based on performance of CD Longcoat, but so far it seems more or less general rule for the setting. Making battleplate (as well as certain parts of Protectorate suit) requires very complex and difficult to produce materials - those reflecting nanotubes, IIRC. We have skipped this problem by inventing hexsand, but so far only kinetic armoring is more or less easy and straightforward. As evidenced by hexbug, by the way.

... It really seems that maybe we should watch our hexsand armor samples closely.

The only thing that still bugs me about beam weapons is extreme predictability of the projectile trajectory, which isn't quite good, because trained soldiers can just dodge continuous beams with some acrobatics.
This comes with a good thing, though: at ground-based combat distances, you'll have very hard time dodging lightspeed-shots - by comparison, you'd rather dodge gauss-weapon bullets (oh, and we're intentionally not talking about current plasma 'projectiles').
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 03, 2015, 12:44:29 pm »

This comes with a good thing, though: at ground-based combat distances, you'll have very hard time dodging lightspeed-shots - by comparison, you'd rather dodge gauss-weapon bullets (oh, and we're intentionally not talking about current plasma 'projectiles').
Well, speaking single-shot, it is naturally harder to evade the beam which goes at speed of light, of course. We can probably design some kind of fast-"blinking" beam, which gives you the thickness of fire of solid projectile machinegun and the speed and destructive power of energy beams.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 03, 2015, 12:59:44 pm »

There are, really, two reasons why machineguns are good at suppression. They are flashy, and they miss a lot. The loud DAKKADAKKADAKKA and the muzzleflash, with the chaotic and spectacular impacts of bullets, is what is most effective at keeping people in cover.

Misquoting SG-1, a suppression weapon would be a weapon of terror. It is designed to intimidate the enemy. A laser, even a continuous one, is too precise - it is a weapon of war. It's designed to kill the enemy.

If you want a real suppression energy weapon, you already have one, as long as your targets are in an atmosphere. You can't get much more intimidating than deadly, bright, LOUD blasts of artificial lightning. :)

It's probably the only thing the Red Hand is actually good at. :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 03, 2015, 01:03:51 pm »

We can't intimidate sods UWM use with mere gunfire, do we? That is why you make things that just kill.

I'm slow at getting things.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:06:29 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 03, 2015, 01:10:32 pm »

Wha?  Kinetic guns are pretty great in ER.  Yes, they have weird damage variablitity, but all ER weapons have that.

I think he means regular ol' chemical explosive driven firearms?

@blaster

The reason I am leaning in the direction of a blaster is because I think a pulse could have higher peak energy (damage) than a continuous one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The very idea behind using shards is that they can deliver a whole lot of energy in a short amount of time, while being relatively small (shielding notwithstanding). And from what pw's been saying, we might be able to get cutting-laser power into a laser rifle-sized package, which I don't think we can match with another ammo type/continuous fire (barring very expensive gauss rounds).

3) a laser rifle sized weapon, shard a big as can fit into a stock or magazine size of an assault rifle or something. 10 Shots, can be reloaded.
3. About cutting laser power, probably higher actually.

I'm basically trying to pack medium level firepower into a low-level (aka regular human) sized package, hopefully also with low(ish)-level cost (though ammo might be a tad more expensive).

However, obviously we can't have it all, so I'm seeing what sacrificing continuous fire in favor of pulses can net us. I don't want the rifle version to be more expensive than the smallest free electron laser (which is already infinite fire, so good for suppression) if at all possible (though I'm doubtful of that myself).
I'm thinking of perhaps also going for an 'energy bazooka' type weapon that is one shot but can be reloaded. Why energy, and not kinetic/psl? Because shard tech favors direct energy weapons the most I think.

That all said, this thing isn't set in stone yet, so the rifle version might still become continuous. Though then there's gonna be a whole lotta overlap with the FEL.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:15:26 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 03, 2015, 01:35:19 pm »

I had a very stupid idea lately, that is likely impossible IRL, but might work in ER.

You know how a piezoelectric material generates an electric charge when compressed? There is a similar principle called piezoluminescence, which is exactly what it sounds like - generation of light with applied stress.

Suppose we build on our experience with blueraditite and PSL ammo, and create a piezoluminescent crystalline metamaterial? If it is transparent enough to act as its own lasing medium and focusing system, and durable enough not to shatter...

Mechanical compression lasers, anyone?

Failing that, PLL weapons that explode into lasers?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #718 on: March 03, 2015, 02:12:16 pm »

So you could just punch it with a kinamp and fry everything in front of you? Sounds good to me.

Irrelevant, mostly @RC and Sean: I think piecewise said that pure hexplate (the original one, the one recovered from the anomalous planetoid) can reflect energy instead of absorb it. So you could use it to create an expensive but reusable focusing tube for high powered laser pulses that would otherwise destroy it, so that you can make a reusable lightweight laser bazooka. Don't know if making a reusable energy bazooka is more effective though, I have a feeling one use might be better/cheaper. Sean could also use that to reflect X-rays, which I think is something he wanted for a ship-based weapon of his, don't remember right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 03, 2015, 03:51:08 pm »

Well then. Who feels like waking me up this time?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 155