Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54353 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #510 on: December 09, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »

So, can the player please turn back on PKs labors of

-soap making
-potash making
-lye making
-bone carving

and cue up some bone crafting?  or decorating.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 09, 2014, 12:24:08 pm »

I think your most important labor right now is ''not dying horribly''.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 09, 2014, 02:50:34 pm »

Wow.

Sorry about that Maolagin, had no idea the greenskins would be back so soon!
Glad I stuffed the ranks with worthless migrants, and stuffed them in iron armor. I had hoped that the silver war hammers I equipped them with would go to better use though. Given that an invading force 40 strong was repelled by a force of 20 dwarves with only  5 or 6 losses is pretty impressive though.

I had not considered using the houses as that kind of an obstacle, but i'm glad I had them built.  We'll pobably get more of them throughout the year though.  Better conscript more bodies for the meat grinder.  Might be worthwhile to start another squad, and build another barracks as well.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 09, 2014, 03:19:59 pm »

I just have to say in passing, my word does this world have some big dwarven families! Not only does Maolagin's relationships screen list 88 aunts, uncles, and cousins, her relations so common that no less than ten of them have migrated to Nevertaxed since she arrived.

Seeing this, I got distracted from playing the game for a bit, and dug into the legends export data. Here is the tree of Maolagin's ancestry:

Did you know that Maolagin and Neblime are related? Second cousins once removed, in fact (yes, I had to consult the Wikipedia page on cousins to check the terminology there). Which is to say, who knows how many family ties there are beyond just what the relationship screen shows! I only thought to check Neblime because I noticed they'd both grown up in the Workdeep mountain halls.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 09, 2014, 03:23:38 pm »

So, can the player please turn back on PKs labors of

-soap making
-potash making
-lye making
-bone carving

and cue up some bone crafting?  or decorating.

Shall do, but the particular bone crafting job I'm interested just now is bolts. Next time we do this, I want a nice crossfire to soften up the leaders before melee begins. So nice that friendly fire isn't a thing yet...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 09, 2014, 03:54:12 pm »

I assume that the bone bolts are for training purposes?

Bone bolts wont penetrate iron armor. You need iron or better for that.

Yes, I did notice Maolagin's rather extensive family pedigree. Not just hers, many other dwarves in NeverTaxed have large extended families, with extended family members on-site.

LOTS of cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc here in NeverTaxed.  It's like nevertaxed is some kind of suburban retirement community or something.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:58:06 pm by wierd »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 09, 2014, 07:14:34 pm »

Is there still a kid named "Timeless Bob" wandering around somewhere?  If not, please dorf me as the youngest surviving male baby.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Asan W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 10, 2014, 09:14:38 am »

{{poof}}
Hello, Asan W,longtime lurker here!
And i have come to request a Dwarfing
Name:AsanW
Profession:Armorsmith or close Approximation
Thank You
{{unpoof}}

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 12, 2014, 01:27:43 am »

Ho, sorry to keep you all waiting so long, it's been an eventful year so far, and the FPS leaves a bit to be desired here! I'll see if I can finish out the year tomorrow, but in the meantime, let's see what Maolagin's been up to:

Quote from: a parchment filed away in Gangpaints
Grandma Ustuth!

I hope this missive finds you in good health. There's been no official word yet from the liaison, but we've heard rumors of a goblin army overrunning Rimsprayed. Please do let us know if you hear anything at all from cousins Athel and Ilral.

Matters here in Nevertaxed have been, I'm sorry to say, quite taxing. I took this position with the hope of better securing our fortunes through applying some well-considered management to various matters, and indeed I think my efforts are beginning to bear fruit. Yet, the toll has been far higher than I would have wished.

I feel that I acquitted myself well in our first calamity, though. Not three days after I took on the assignment, a sizable force of goblins arrived without warning. They marched on our village without pity, but with little discipline, taking time to wander aside and slaughter our animals grazing in the fields nearby. No matter, we rallied the squads and ushered everyone else into the relative safety of our tavern, and our soldiers were able to repel the invaders by force of arms. I can only call our safety relative, though, for our foes did bring trolls with them, and the brutes are quite capable of smashing down the doors of our refuge. I've no doubt we have among our number engineers capable of raising impenetrable defenses worthy of the Mountainhome, but I've been told the precarious legal status under which we exist forbids certain techniques on which others may rely.

One of those techniques is the simple expedient of defensive walls. Apparently it would be impossible to assign legal ownership of such a structure, and thus nobody here has the authority to simply order one built. That will cause us sorrow, I fear, and sure enough it has already caused us some considerable grief. This spring a monstrosity fell upon us out of the woods, and so fleet was it upon its paws, that it was in the center of the village before most dwarves had gone ten paces. It bore a curse that spreads by biting, and those affected are periodically afflicted by a terrible urge to bite indeed! The curse is now contained, but some good dwarves now rest forever in our shrine.

But enough complaining, I did not write to add weight to your shoulders! All in all life here is glorious, make no mistake. I am running a weavers shop and, below these majestic trees, have been crafting the finest bolts of rope reed cloth you ever saw. My renovations to our tavern proceed apace, and even if they are mostly cosmetic the improved aesthetics are most striking. Even our squads of fighters, the ostensible reason for my appointment, are much improved both in number and in skill. And you, my dear grandmother, now have three great-grandchildren here as well. Truly we have found a good home.

Your caring granddaughter,
Maolagin of Nevertaxed

Well, Maolagin's sure upbeat, isn't she? Here's where we stand as of early summer.

As I mentioned, there was an invasion. The goblins have been quiet since then, but it's only a matter of time. We now have three squads, including one of marksdwarves, and they're set to train. Congrats PsychoAngel, you got promoted to commander of your own squad!

The wood shortage is well in hand now that we're gradually replacing wooden structures with stone. Looks nicer, too. Also, the carpenter shop will no longer be making doors and coffins on repeat. Seriously, we have a wood shortage here!

The first mood of the year was just a possession, sadly. I have no idea what a conical helm is. There's no such thing in the raws, so maybe artifacts are now choosing random shapes as well?

Meanwhile the rest of the population puttered around building and removing constructions, making room in the refuse stockpile, things like that. The elves showed up and I got Koreg a present: a pet giant kangaroo of our own. It's pastured in the middle of town to make sure everyone gets a good look at it.

Then real trouble arrived.

Like Maolagin said, this guy was FAST. The militia was pretty useless, he zipped right to the center of town before they could get out of the barracks or wherever they happened to be. Now a wereraccoon isn't as destructive as some larger werebeasts might be, but as we know the dwarves killed in battle aren't the real problem. We had one death but two bites before he turned back, and I guess his human form is slower because that's about when the sworddwarves caught up to him and finished things.

So I went about getting some containment set up, but unfortunately I waited too long to set the burrows and the bite victims didn't make it in. The one that changed in the Plum wasn't too bad, he was pummeled almost immediately by outraged civilians. But the other one transformed in the middle of town and put up quite a fight. As far as I could tell, five dwarves were bitten but survived, including some notable names around town. By this time the "sanitarium" was set up, so in they went. Around the date of the next moon I locked the hatch cover and watched to see what would happen. Sure enough, half of them transformed, but from the ensuing battle the only survivor was Tekkud the Carpenter Wereraccoon.

Yeah, we'll call that a basement asylum. HugoLuman graciously volunteered his house, and now he gets to admire a nice conglomerate hatch and try not to dwell on the monster under his bed. As for the list of casualties:

Bembul Olongebar, Lead Spinner has been found dead.
Onul Zoncerol, Dwarven Child has been found dead.
Catten Athelsokan, Miner has been found dead.
`Zubb2' Rosatsibrek, Mechanic Industry Bitten has been found dead.
`Beneviento' Kosothgubel, Lead Clothier(renter) Bitten has been found dead.
Tulon Taremnish, Brewer Bitten has been found dead.

As you can see, we've got some holes to fill now. Zubb2 and Beneviento, what do you want done about your successors?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 12, 2014, 01:38:49 am »

It stays quiet or it gets the axe.

Well, crap. On the bright side, I think we just found a new place to dump unwanted nobles.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 12, 2014, 01:56:31 am »

Hmm...  Since my renter died, and I have to sponsor another clothier to replace him, does the number of skill level raises before reaching legendary get reset, or do they stack?

inquiring minds want to know...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 12, 2014, 08:11:35 am »

I remember someone saying that floor hatches were now destructible from underneath.

I think it should reset, the alternative would make the death of a renter a good thing.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:14:18 am by Broseph Stalin »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 12, 2014, 09:39:34 am »

can we pretty please have a werewolf pit?

Its more of an 'underground monestary' than a 'sadistic pit of death'
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 12, 2014, 11:28:55 am »

I remember someone saying that floor hatches were now destructible from underneath.

I think it should reset, the alternative would make the death of a renter a good thing.

They don't seem to be. Unless were-creatures respect burrow restrictions now, the hatch has held for two rounds of transformations at this point.

Also, forgot to mention new dorfings:

`Timeless Bob' Oltarlisid, "`Timeless Bob' Gildclash", Dwarven Baby   
"Damaba..."
Within the last season, he felt loathing at being out in the sunshine again.  He was disgusted after being nauseated by the sun. 
He is the son of Feb Hammernails and Inod Fastenedlabored.  He is an ardent worshipper of Kadol. 
He is a citizen of The Tame Gears.  He is a member of The Revered Strangers. 
He is one month old, born on the 13th of Felsite in the year 201. 
He is fat.  His sideburns are clean-shaven.  His very long moustache is arranged in double braids.  His long beard is arranged in double braids.  His very long hair is braided.  His ears are somewhat tall.  His hair is flax.  His skin is pale brown.  His eyes are raw umber. 
He is susceptible to disease and slow to heal. 
`Timeless Bob' Oltarlisid likes gneiss, copper and pink garnet.  When possible, he prefers to consume apple cider and rye flour.  He absolutely detests cave spiders. 
He has an amazing spatial sense, a great affinity for language, good intuition and a good kinesthetic sense, but he has poor empathy and a large deficit of willpower. 
Like others in his culture, he holds craftsdwarfship to be of the highest ideals and celebrates talented artisans and their masterworks, has a great deal of respect for the law, greatly prizes loyalty, values family greatly, believes that honesty is a high ideal, greatly respects artists and their works, really respects those that take the time to master a skill, deeply respects those that work hard at their labors, respects fair-dealing and fair-play, values cooperation, finds merrymaking and partying worthwhile activities, values martial prowess, values leisure time and finds nature somewhat disturbing.  He personally is completely put off by the idea of friends, sees no value in holding back complaints and concealing emotions and is somewhat put off by trade and commerce.  He dreams of crafting a masterwork someday. 
He seeks out exciting and adventurous situations.  He is extremely confident of himself in situations requiring his skills.  He has an overbearing personality.  He doesn't often experience strong cravings or urges.  He is rarely happy or enthusiastic, and he is conflicted by this as he values parties and merrymaking in the abstract.  He tends to be a bit stubborn in changing his mind about things.  He can sometimes act without deliberation.  He is somewhat fearful in the face of imminent danger.  He is quick to form negative views about things.  He has a greedy streak.  He generally acts with a narrow focus on the current activity.  He often feels envious of others.  He rarely feels discouraged.  He  stiffens up when he's surprised.  He stammers when he's excited.  He needs alcohol to get through the working day.  He does not mind being outdoors, at least for a time. 

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

`AsanW' Rigothdostob, "`AsanW' Craftclearings", Metalsmith   
"I could do without all of those creatures and tangled greenery."
Within the last season, he was horrified after seeing Iteb Granitepuzzles die.  He felt satisfied at work.  He felt pleasure near a fine Trade Depot.  He was annoyed at the lack of dining tables.  He felt pleasure near a fine Door.  He felt pleasure near a fine Table.  He felt pleasure near a fine Door.  He was blissful dining in a fantastic dining room.  He felt pleasure near a fine Paved Road.  He felt pleasure near a fine Table.  He felt pleasure near a fine Seat.  He felt pleasure near a fine Seat.  He felt pleasure near a fine Seat.  He felt pleasure near a fine Table.  He felt pleasure near a fine Seat.  He didn't feel anything while in conflict.  He was afraid after experiencing trauma.  He was horrified after seeing Catten Ringphrase die.  He was horrified after seeing Geshud Syrupmines die.  He felt pleasure near a fine Seat.  He was horrified after seeing the human Spishab Dreamcolors die.  He was horrified after seeing the goblin Bax Spideryhaunts die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing the goblin Osefi Eatstaves die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a rooster die.  He was horrified after seeing the goblin Olngo Hexdimples die.  He was horrified after seeing the goblin Mato Beautyghouls die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a yak cow die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a kiwi hen die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a opossum die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a echidna die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a skunk die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a barn owl die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a water buffalo bull die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a ram die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a horse die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a horse die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a ewe die.  He was horrified after seeing a troll die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing the goblin Usbu Doomblizzard die.  He was horrified after seeing a troll die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing the goblin Snang Patternedhates die.  He was horrified after seeing a troll die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing the goblin Olngo Ghouldoctrine die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing the goblin Bax Submergedticks die.  He was horrified after seeing a troll die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a troll die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing the goblin Nako Witchpebbles die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a reindeer cow die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a barn owl die.  He didn't feel anything after seeing a skunk die.  He was horrified after seeing a goblin die.  He was horrified after seeing a troll die. 
He is married to Catten Flightmetal.  He is the son of Rith Fatediron and Thob Anvilswamps. 
He is a citizen of The Tame Gears.  He is a member of The Revered Strangers.  He is a former member of The Fortification of Moons.  He arrived at Nanothstettad on the 7th of Slate in the year 201. 
He is one hundred twenty years old, born on the 10th of Moonstone in the year 81. 
He is average in size.  His sideburns are clean-shaven.  His very long moustache is arranged in double braids.  His very long beard is arranged in double braids.  His long hair is braided.  He has a clear voice.  His slightly rounded raw umber eyes have large irises.  His ears are free-lobed.  His hair is gray with some flax.  His skin is dark peach.  His lips are slightly thick. 
He is agile, but he is flimsy. 
`AsanW' Rigothdostob likes gabbro, bismuth, citrine, apricot wood wood and ibex hoof.  When possible, he prefers to consume crab, moghopper, chicory and maize beer.  He absolutely detests oysters. 
He has a great sense of empathy and a sharp intellect, but he has an iffy memory and a large deficit of willpower. 
Like others in his culture, he holds craftsdwarfship to be of the highest ideals and celebrates talented artisans and their masterworks, has a great deal of respect for the law, greatly prizes loyalty, values family greatly, sees friendship as one of the finer things in life, believes that honesty is a high ideal, greatly respects artists and their works, really respects those that take the time to master a skill, respects fair-dealing and fair-play, values cooperation, finds merrymaking and partying worthwhile activities, values martial prowess, values leisure time, respects commerce and finds nature somewhat disturbing.  He personally believes it is important to conceal emotions and refrain from complaining, finds eloquence and artful speech off-putting and doesn't really see the point of working hard.  He dreams of crafting a masterwork someday. 
He is very quick to anger.  He is incredibly brave in the face of looming danger, perhaps a bit foolhardy. He is sometimes cruel.  He presents himself modestly and frowns on any flashy accoutrements.  He isn't particularly curious about the world.  He has a tendency toward forming deep emotional bonds with others.  He tends to be a little wasteful when working on projects.  He generally finds himself quite hopeful about the future.  He is often nervous.  He likes a little excitement now and then.  He often feels discouraged.  He occasionally overindulges.  He is rarely happy or enthusiastic, and he is conflicted by this as he values parties and merrymaking in the abstract.  He is moved by art and natural beauty, and he is troubled by this since he dislikes the natural world.  He needs alcohol to get through the working day. 

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 12, 2014, 12:08:18 pm »

The image of the little dwarven baby glaring at the sun with pure hatred XD
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 54