Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54364 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #480 on: December 05, 2014, 04:36:09 pm »

23rd of Galena, Late Summer of the year 200
Ledger of the minister of agricultural affairs

It has been some time since my last official recording, and I feel an explanation is in order.
Some time in the previous month in early summer, we were besieged by a small goblin invasion force consisting of 11 goblin warriors, consisting of axemen, pikemen, and archers. Our domestic militia force was able to repel the invaders, but at a cost.

We lost our captain of the guard and 3 of his subbordinates. HugoLuman, our beloved carpenter and woodcutter, felled 2 goblin axemen before being irreparably injured in her left foot.  In addition to this, the goblin invaders brought unspeakable harm against two dwarven babies, one of which perished in the assault, the other permanently disfigured, and losing the entirety of her lower right arm. This is the least of this poor child's problems however, as her mother was one of the unfortunate victims slain in the attack. Her father survives, but the poor dear wanders about the village without her mother's care.

The admission of a head nurse to the hospital staff proved useful, and within little time, our injured were washed, treated, and given the finest medical care known to dwarven kind.

I have conscripted several of our recent migrants into our militia force, and have comissioned the creation of several full suits of iron armor for their use; a duty that I am not explicitly authorized to perform as minister of agricultural affairs, but given the increased dangers presented by the Dungeon of Dishes, even this far east, I felt it prudent to avoid any further injury to our militia dwarves than cannot be avoided.

The clothing and weaving industry continue to impress.  My renter, Beneviento, has reached a high degree of proficiency in the few months of operating the rental clothing studio I prepared for him on my rental property. No small feat, given that he had no outstanding skill in the craft whatsoever when I first approached him with the offer. His cousin is one of the weaving industry leads, and he agreed enthusiastically. It is fortuitous that this industry was brought on-line, as the slow deterioration of local stores of clothing items have been ongoing-- so much so that reclaimed clothing items worn by the murderous goblin invaders were promptly siezed and worn by desperate dwarven children hardly before I had finished giving the authorization for their use. As of current, the entire output of the clothing stall I have been financing has been going toward replacing worn and tattered clothing supplies worn by our populace.  Given the recent baby boom, (No less than 8 children have been born under my tenure since the last reported birth, and they have been happening with such alarming regularity that I have hardly the time to properly document them all) it is vital that sufficient stores of clothing be made available before they reach adolescence, lest we have a rash of naked dwarven children causing public spectacles on our hands.

To help alleviate these fears, I have purchased the rather sizable sum of cloth goods (of grossly inferior craftsdwarfship) from the human merchant caravan.  While exploring the goods the humans had brought for trade, I noticed many intriguing crops that are not indigenous to our region, and promptly purchased them. The resulting seeds will take time to grow into new seed stores for large yield planting, but are good investments for the prices the humans were asking.  Sadly, no additional surface textile crops were available in this caravan either. This unfortunate turn of affairs means that I shall have to place an order for pigtail seeds from the dwarven caravan, and begin planting them in the small underground plots that my cellar affords me. To expedite the growth of our agricultural development, I have cultivated several more surface crop plantings, and have planted them accordingly.

On the subject of cellars, the primary goods warehouse is overflowing with our goods. As remedial measure, I have initiated the process of clearing the underlying peat deposits from beneath the warehouse, and its subsequent fortification with conglomerate blocks. This should result in effectively doubling the capacity of the warehouse for storing our goods as they await the coming merchant trains.

There was another election, and Koreg has once again won the election, and retained the office of Mayor of NeverTaxed.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 05, 2014, 06:02:32 pm »

The dwarven caravan has come, and the liason met with koreg to discuss recent events.

(out of character)
I requested every kind of flux stone in the universe, ordered some of the surface crops we dont have, and pigtail seeds along with wood, steel bars, steel anvils, and iron anvils.

They requested the following goods

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 05, 2014, 06:20:50 pm »

There were more surface crops available from the dwarven caravan that we didnt have, but I hate soybeans, so I didnt buy any.

There was marble, bituminous coal, and lignite in the caravan. I bought it all.  Combined with the iron bars we already have, this will produce nice steel for us.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 05, 2014, 06:27:24 pm »

I haven't written since the attack. A goblin raiding party ten strong attacked Nevertaxed and caught us unprepared. Four of our soldiers and an innocent baby were killed repelling the attack. It was ignorant I suppose to believe we could supply the tame gears with weapons and armor and simply go unnoticed by the goblin menace. There's nothing to say about it I suppose.

The Liaison came today. She was very smug until she couldn't find the baron. I explained that he was on a diplomatic mission in Arrowprinces and that I was overseeing things in his absence. I informed her that before he left he said he would not be signing anything, had no plans to go forward with formalizing the incorporation, and would not be abdicating his position willingly. She was furious and said if the baron didn't fulfill his duties he would be replaced, I agreed that this made sense and told her that if the Queen would like to take it up with him he could be found by going to Arrowprinces and asking for Ramkal Trickstops who is serving as his assitant. There's no way she could understand the implications but I told her to see to it the place Arrowprinces and the name Ramkal Trickstops were both left in the Queen's ear exactly.   

She also told us what we already know, the bloody goblins are on the march. We'll need to prepare a more substantial military soon. Victory is not as satisfying as I'd hoped. Even with the Baron in Arrowprinces and me serving as mayor the grim reality of striking out alone up here is at the front of my mind.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 06, 2014, 02:50:52 am »

Diary of 'Beneviento" Kosothgubel, 19 Galena, 200

What an eventful few months it's been! I came of age just less than two years ago, and came here with Mother and Father just over a year before that, and already I'm well on the way to becoming a Notable member of this fortress sorry town, and qualifying to own my own estate. Grandpa Koreg told me not to call Nevertaxed a fortress, something about escaping the stifling tradition and economic oppression of the homelands. He also not to call him Grandpa Koreg, but hey, calling older acquaintances 'Uncle' or 'Grandpa' is a tradition back in The Large Stockade, and he got even more mad when I started calling him "Old Man Hawkblockades".

Anyway, I'm renting a shop from Wierd, and I'll be eligible to own it, along with an estate, once I turn in a legendary-level piece. It'll be satisfying to know that it'll be thanks to me that my family is safe inside stout walls. Nevertaxed really is a place where a dwarf can make whatever he wants of himself. I think that's why I have a liking for "orderly society" as I definitely conflate 'orderly' with 'stifling', like back home. I would've had to do exactly what Father did, and so would have my children, assuming I lived long enough to have any what with the goblin attacks and all. Even here in the far North eleven of them, Father said probably a group that split off from attacking a larger settlement, besieged us inside the Plum. The militia killed most of them, but took heavy losses. The whole town came together to help each other out afterward, something that showed me just how good order and harmony could be. I suppose Nevertaxed has just enough harmony. Alright, that's enough writing for now. I'm heading to the Plum for a drink.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 06, 2014, 01:51:35 pm »

It is now early winter, and all the murky pools froze over.  there is wood that fell into them when trees were felled.  I am issuing channeling jobs on the frozen pools to liberate their contents. The spring rains next year will fill them all back in, but this way we can get the wood inside.

Beneviento is now an expert clothier
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:35:21 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 06, 2014, 03:51:14 pm »

Due to the uncontrolled reproductive habits of our residents, we are now a metropolis.

1/3 of our population is babies and children.  It's out of control! Somebody stop the nookie!

(Note, the seeds count is wrong, as I have begun a quantum seed dump operation to get the mountains of seeds out of the pickled plum's common room. If only I could do something about the thick coating of vomit...)

In other news, the bloody baron rose as a ghost, but was promptly laid to rest again by being given a coffin (with nothing in it).
The name, of course, is Ramkal...  I guess the baron didnt like the news he got from the queen, and shot his messenger. ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:30:37 pm by wierd »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 06, 2014, 04:58:01 pm »

As it turns out a tax free settlement ,while attractive to nobles, entrepreneurs, and wayward dreamers, is much more attractive to hardpressed families looking for somewhere to raise their children. One in every three dwarves in Nevertaxed is too young to work. Yay.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 06, 2014, 04:59:52 pm »

O.O  Its double from when I left it . . . and It quadrupled when I had it!.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 06, 2014, 05:05:54 pm »

Maybe it's the only safe place to raise a family left, what with the goblins going on a mad-dash conquoring spree, the queen's hereditary involvement in death cults, and vampires on the loose.

NeverTaxed may have gotten listed as "The most family friendly Fortress Metropolis" by Better Stones and gardens magazine.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 06, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »

I've got it!

The reason why so many people with HUGE extended families (In the village, right now!) and so many horrible children running around, is because THAT was the payment that the queen offered Ramkal for assuming the position of Baron!

She had seen to it that all emmigrants from from her halls had been this way, as she thought it would solve many of her problems all at once!

1) She reduces her own baby making proletariot population.
2) She gets in good with the Ura worshiping undead horrors
3) She gets to make an example of NeverTaxed, and thus cement her authoritarian power base

But we made it all go horribly wrong, and now we have all these horrible proles all over!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 06, 2014, 07:37:54 pm »

Ok, It is now the first day of spring.

Saving, and uploading.

NeverTaxed, Year 3
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:50:02 pm by wierd »

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 06, 2014, 07:54:18 pm »

Ok, It is now the first day of spring.

Saving, and uploading.

Nifty. Do we know who has the next turn? The first page hasn't been updated in a while...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 06, 2014, 08:21:15 pm »

It should be EvictedSaint but EvictedSaint, Pencil_Art, and HugoLuman were all unable to take their last turns. If time's still going to be a problem I'll take my second turn and drag it out with lots of updates and pictures until one of them is ready for their first.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 06, 2014, 08:23:53 pm »

I drug it out as long as I could.  I even played it on my 5fps way underpowered laptop.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54