Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 71097 times)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Open Roll 11
« Reply #420 on: December 24, 2014, 05:04:33 pm »

((Eh, kinda bored, so more pointless fluff. Specifically something strong and simple.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 02:15:38 pm by Happy Demon »
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 24, 2014, 05:08:30 pm »

((So if people want to do fluff it should go on this thread, right?))
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 24, 2014, 05:37:24 pm »

((Well, you need an only sane man, don't you? He's relatively normal, yes, but I'm planning on tropifying him as time goes on.

As for water, there's underground water sources. Population centers are built on wells, pumps, etc.))
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 24, 2014, 08:26:14 pm »

((So if people want to do fluff it should go on this thread, right?))

((Fluff if it's unrelated to your post otherwise.))

((Well, you need an only sane man, don't you? He's relatively normal, yes, but I'm planning on tropifying him as time goes on.

As for water, there's underground water sources. Population centers are built on wells, pumps, etc.))

((Which is why I'm asking, because it doesn't seem likely to me that a desert planet would have easily accessible aquifers. Otherwise all it takes is one leak and you get a lake.))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 24, 2014, 08:42:03 pm »

((Or geology that subsumes said water-bearing rock really deep.))

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 24, 2014, 08:50:40 pm »

I hope you'll remember.

Durrr..

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 24, 2014, 09:14:45 pm »

((I have updated the charsheets, fixed Froggy Ninja's character (I forgot to actually fill it in), and added Zero's and Playergamer's characters. Zero's character (and Froggy Ninja's) have a mana system, which I will get into when you actually get in the game.

If you wish to play now rather than wait for a mission, just say so. I think that from now on the Main Thread will have a limit of 6 active players.

Also, waiting on Ama. I'm a little busy at the moment writing the other roll.))

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 25, 2014, 02:05:24 pm »

((Eh, time for another one. Pointless fluff! Fluffy tail!!!))
((I'm going to modify the other fluff pieces some time later, because the writing is kinda weird.))
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:18:57 am by Happy Demon »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Open Roll 11
« Reply #428 on: December 26, 2014, 01:09:41 am »

Port Newton, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

"Orion. Stop. This is not even necessary, as I got my fun out of this, just give up and lemme get my pay."
Look for the bastard in the gears. Get a pipe or something in my hands.

[5] You find a pipe. Actually, it's a spare axle, from a box you found that contained other spare parts and several cans of lubricant.

You proceed to hunt down Orion, making sure to listen for any rustling or footsteps while checking every gear. Expecting more difficulty, you instead find him fairly close to where you left him, although with his neck contorted in a really painful-looking way.

Initiative:
[1] Hal
[5] Other

(4) vs [5] You hear the characteristic sound of a weapon's safety switching off.

Habitat Ship Gamma, Askarian Orbit | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Crash Site
Confusion (-1 to your first initiative roll)

Find a suit and slip it on. These dumbasses exploding should be pretty funny.

You put on one of the suits. Clunky, and thermally insulated, they provide meager protection from heat and pressure, but protection nonetheless.

[2] The shuttle airlock begins to depressurize. The police cross their fingers, while the charity workers bow their heads. The Guild official stands and watches much as you do.

Slowly, but surely, the high-pressure gas mixes in with the station's atmosphere. The circular door unscrews and pops out, allowing a mid-sized humanoid stingray creature in a pressure suit to emerge.

The police cheer. The charity workers rejoice. Eric Walker gives a thumbs up and approaches the creature, then talks to it.
"Alright, so explain to me what you guys breath..."
The creature responds in a raspy, low-pitched voice. Despite the bassy sound, it feels like the creature is incredibly small. Your brain is playing tricks on you.
"I figure the methane causes it."
"Methane breathers?"
"No, oxygen breathers. Methane is a byproduct."
"Ah I see, the rapid decompression heated the gas, igniting the..."
"You are correct."
"Alright. I deeply apologize for your loss... I will take responsibility for it, as does the Guild. This will not happen again."
"We do not take your apologies."
"Excuse me?"
"Take us to your leader."

The alien does not make a threat, it just seems particularly irritated over the whole ordeal. The request to talk to the Guild Hierarchs is justified.

Excelsior, Francia Orbit | 235d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Crowded Spacecraft
Heavy Chatter (-1 Intellect, +2 Stealth)

Eh, no reason to care, it's the rebels who will try and stop me. I can just kill them.
This ship needs as much pirate deterrence as it can, so I'm sure the captain will let us stay for the trip.

Stay on the ship.

[6/1] The unrest dies down for a moment. Eventually, everyone settles in for a nice, short flight to Burgundy Spaceport. Through a virtual viewport (a holographic viewscreen on the wall), you see a cluster of grav-rings interspersed with freefall modules, docking clamps, boarding tubes, and a single space elevator that curves slightly due to some esoteric aspect of physics, leading to the groundside colony.

Two rebel starships, the Insignia and the Retribution, languish in the dockyard, secured by tethers. The ships were previously named something else, with an 'FNS' prefix to boot, but the previous names have since been crossed out with silvery paint that does not quite match the shade of the rest of the hull.

Looking down is nauseating. In Lunosynchronous orbit, there is no gravity, and the stars hold place silently, as do George and Francia in the skyline. The only motion not manmade is the subtle flow of George's clouds, as well as the slight movement of the bright dots along the planet's equatorial plane: Britannia, Hispania, Romania, and Germania.

You may hang out in the local amenities. Bars, gambling houses, convenience and luxury stores, film theaters, libraries, datanet cafe's...
Alternatively, you can simply go down to the surface. The Georgian Stars are cold, barren rocks, powered by nothing but the atom. Francia is the largest of the moons, and it boasts a liquid mantle as well, but geothermal energy is actually more expensive here deep inside George's gravity well.

Burgundy is a sprawling metropolis, buzzing with activity beneath the surface. Its upper layers are ablaze with flaring smokestacks and radiator fixtures, contributing to the thin atmosphere of smog that has formed over the world. Occasionally it even rains acids and other noxious materials that condense above the skies.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 26, 2014, 01:20:45 am »

Follow along; this looks like it could be amusing.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 26, 2014, 02:11:43 pm »

"...Shit. Identify yourself!"
Get behind cover.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 26, 2014, 02:19:58 pm »

((Lunosynchronous orbit? Isn't that just geostationary orbit around a lunar mass?))

Ok, I need to get to the academy, but I need to deal with the security first.

Get the spear into my hand (if anyone asks, say it's to prevent accidental stabbing), try to disembark the Excelsior, and find means of getting to the academy.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 26, 2014, 03:54:15 pm »

(As threatened, Rtalis fluff:)

Spoiler: Spacecraft and Biology (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Military (click to show/hide)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 26, 2014, 03:59:09 pm »

(As threatened, Rtalis fluff:)

Spoiler: Spacecraft and Biology (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Military (click to show/hide)

Hmm, a few thoughts on the craft being water filled:
  • The habitat section is probably filled, but I don't see a reason to put water in a place where nobody is supposed to go, like inside a gearbox or something, unless the water is also used for propellant. If the ship is a thick outer hull around a pressurized space, it would make more sense to fill gaps with an inert gas.

Of course, if they do use water as propellant, or at least break it down right away into hydrogen and oxygen (using hydrogen as better propellant), then it would be a good idea to keep your habitats inside your fuel tanks, so to speak, as long as you can manage heat flow.
However, I do see having water-filled tubes as extremely advantageous, biologically speaking. They'd be an extreme pain to board as well.
  • I'd expect their ships to be more maneuverable, honestly, since the water is more likely to absorb G forces than air. Also, unless the habitat section is a considerable fraction of the fuel tank volume, it would only be marginally more massive than a gas breather vessel. It could be, though, depending on what the ship's purpose is.
  • If the ships hare heavier and denser, they'd have bigger fuel costs and wouldn't be able to land if they are also atmospheric. This is mostly relevant to shuttles and spaceplanes and other small craft.

I do like the lore, though. I'm not sure how sonic weapons would work, but considering we have plasma bolts and I have no idea how that would work, it would be hypocritical to not let it happen. I'd try to figure out some technobabble means of operation though, if only so I can have an ingredient list in case a character tries to craft one.

((Lunosynchronous orbit? Isn't that just geostationary orbit around a lunar mass?))

((Actually it's wrong--it should be a stationary orbit, a synchronous orbit with inclination zero. Major trade ports and space elevators would be located at the equator to facilitate this.

Also, I suppose the correct term would be Fracostationary orbit, like how Areostationary orbit = Mars.))
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:15:48 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 26, 2014, 04:48:24 pm »

(Sorry, I have been to busy to post.)

Might as well pity the poor guy since he is going to lose his job.

"Greetings good sir, might I ask what this SpaceInc company is?"

Begin discussing with the guy about SpaceInc , while relising some spores to make the employee more open to manipulation.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 49