Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 71092 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Open Roll 11
« Reply #435 on: December 26, 2014, 05:06:02 pm »

((In the mission thread, I have to wonder what getting a 1/6 on the asking about shirt roll would do.))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Open Roll 11
« Reply #436 on: December 26, 2014, 05:18:48 pm »

Hmm, a few thoughts on the craft being water filled:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I do like the lore, though. I'm not sure how sonic weapons would work, but considering we have plasma bolts and I have no idea how that would work, it would be hypocritical to not let it happen. I'd try to figure out some technobabble means of operation though, if only so I can have an ingredient list in case a character tries to craft one.
(Yeah, just as only the parts on other ships where people go would need to be filled with atmosphere. It's just that between 2 ships of similar size, one would have the habitable parts filled with atmosphere, and the other with something much more dense than most atmospheres.

I don't see any reason why a large craft would take off or land at all, since using shuttles or a space elevator would be vastly, vastly more efficient. As long as you're assembling craft in space, you can make them as big as you are able. As stated in the blurb, they prefer space elevators over landing craft, but when landing craft are needed, the crew go in jars and any remaining open space is either evacuated or gas-filled (aside from fuel, of course). Water could be split for fusion fuel, but wouldn't it be more economic to just carry around hydrogen?

(As for sonic weapons, the basic requirements would be something to produce vibrations and something to direct them. And, something to power it. A speaker and a parabolic dish, for instance, though that would be a bit primitive. The denser the medium, the more effective the sonic weapon would be, and some cetaceans are known for stunning or even killing small prey with sound. Presumably such weapons could work reasonably well in most airs, and really really well in liquids.)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 26, 2014, 11:52:04 pm »

((In the mission thread, I have to wonder what getting a 1/6 on the asking about shirt roll would do.))

Had you gotten a 1/6, you would have probably insulted the scientists, perhaps been refused service outright. I dunno, 1/6's are rare.

I don't see any reason why a large craft would take off or land at all, since using shuttles or a space elevator would be vastly, vastly more efficient. As long as you're assembling craft in space, you can make them as big as you are able. As stated in the blurb, they prefer space elevators over landing craft, but when landing craft are needed, the crew go in jars and any remaining open space is either evacuated or gas-filled (aside from fuel, of course). Water could be split for fusion fuel, but wouldn't it be more economic to just carry around hydrogen?

It would be, but water is also very useful as a coolant (especially with nuclear power) and, in the case of some drives, a necessary propellant (see the nuclear salt water drive). It's used for life support, for radiation shielding, for hydroponics, hydraulics, chemistry, and so on. It can be stored compactly at a high temperature, unlike hydrogen, which should probably be kept as a liquid at <20 K. Water still has about half the exhaust velocity in a nuclear thermal drive.

Storing hydrogen comes with a lot of complications (it leaks through tanks, has a ridiculously low density, raw H2 explodes easily, it's only liquid at really low temperatures, something punctures your tank and it will all go poof, etc).

(As for sonic weapons, the basic requirements would be something to produce vibrations and something to direct them. And, something to power it. A speaker and a parabolic dish, for instance, though that would be a bit primitive. The denser the medium, the more effective the sonic weapon would be, and some cetaceans are known for stunning or even killing small prey with sound. Presumably such weapons could work reasonably well in most airs, and really really well in liquids.)

That actually makes sense. An aquatic race could easily use sonic weapons on their own homeworlds, so they'd have reason to mass produce them.

Port Newton, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

"...Shit. Identify yourself!"
Get behind cover.

Initiative:
[1] Hal
[4] Other

(2) vs [2] You narrowly avoid a stream of bullets travelling over your head, diving behind one of the gears for cover.

You take a few milliseconds to assess what just happened. That thudding noise was probably this assassin entering, perhaps through some vent you haven't noticed, who might be part of that KX9 team Nerin called into action a while ago. It may just be all a misunderstanding.

Your surroundings contain a few improvisable weapons. You count at least eight fire extinguishers scattered around on the walls, presumably because the lubricants used in the machinery can catch fire. There are a couple of large cylinders surrounding sections of an axle, though whether they are bearings or motors you do not know. There are high-pressure tubes connecting these cylinders to the floor and ceiling, complete with a Cryogenic Substance warning.

You hear something small bouncing around behind you. Looking back, it's a purple-colored canister grenade, about an arm's length away in the position it's settled.

Habitat Ship Gamma, Askarian Orbit | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Urban Station
City Manners (-1 to first impressions)

(Sorry, I have been to busy to post.)

Might as well pity the poor guy since he is going to lose his job.

"Greetings good sir, might I ask what this SpaceInc company is?"

Begin discussing with the guy about SpaceInc , while relising some spores to make the employee more open to manipulation.

"Well I'm glad you asked! We are a conglomerate of independent subaffilates who focus on developing systems and transportation for fledgling systems. The Republic of the Georgium Sidis is a prime market for our fuel exports and our wide array of imported luxuries and goods. We make every system we go to a major trade hub and industrial center."

[4-1] Your spores slowly release, although it creates a subtle mist around your sphere, which might be visible to humans if their vision is sensitive enough. The human is already showing a change in facial expression and mood.

Crash Site
Confusion (-1 to your first initiative roll)

Follow along; this looks like it could be amusing.

"Alright we will just..." Walker is cut from his speech abruptly by the alien's deep voice.
"Our purpose was a diplomatic mission. We wish to finish this mission before any more accidents happen."
"Alright alright. What is your tolerance to bumps and G force?"
The alien appears confused.
"Why do you ask?"

A black limousine pulls up in the driveway of the park.

"We don't want any more accidents. Our vehicles have a pretty smooth ride, but in case we have to stop for traffic, we have to know if it's merely uncomfortable of if it's causing you personal harm. We travel at 15 m/s, generally."
"Take us for this ride."

More aliens disembark from the craft after a second depressurization. The ship cools its drives, but leaves its airlock hatch open.

An ambulance arrives in the driveway, which begins pulling the unoccupied alien suits scattered around, thinking that the aliens are just unreasonably lightweight.
The police pull away from the shuttle.

Excelsior, Francia Orbit | 235d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Crowded Spacecraft
Heavy Chatter (-1 Intellect, +2 Stealth)

Ok, I need to get to the academy, but I need to deal with the security first.

Get the spear into my hand (if anyone asks, say it's to prevent accidental stabbing), try to disembark the Excelsior, and find means of getting to the academy.

[2] You attempt to restrain the spear, but zero G physics really screw with your balance. [1+2] Fortunately, nobody notices the profusely-bleeding animal you left behind in the hall as everyone floats through the exit tube and into the spaceport. Somehow.

As you take the space elevator tram down to ground level, you brace yourself against the ceiling. Eventually, the tram finishes accelerating and coasts for a while in free fall. Finally, you slow down and end up in a low gravity port town--the upper levels of Burgundy.

Citizens hop around, unable to walk efficiently in the lunar gravity. Pyres of smoke and fire ascend in columns from the horizon. The view is much more impressive from the surface than it is from overhead. Droplets of brown acid mixed in with smog splatter unevenly over the surface of the geodesic domes that make up the habitable spaces of the establishment. Just over the horizon is Burgundian Academy, towering unceremoniously over the expanse of tar pits and pollution.

The lobby of the spaceport here is abuzz with activity.

• A professor speaks with some laymen. He is recognizable based on his graduation cloak with various decorative tassels and ribbons. His peers are congratulating him for his recent doctorate in Cybersecurity.
  • A mercenary captain from the FireHawks, bragging to some local Georgians about how good their quality of service is.
  • A monk, criticizing SpaceInc's human rights abuses in French, wears nothing but the spacesuit he wears in his pop-tent outside in the wasteland.
  • A driver advertising his taxi services. he drives a small golf-cart style vehicle through the bicycle lanes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:53:59 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Roll 12
« Reply #438 on: December 27, 2014, 02:10:50 am »

Investigate the now abandoned shuttle.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 27, 2014, 04:02:00 am »

"Fuck's sake, stop shooting!"
Dash out of cover, kick the grenade to the shooter. Run away.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 27, 2014, 09:15:40 am »

This captain seem interesting, I could get (steal) some nice gear from them.

Investigate the FireHawk captain, take note of his/her equipment, and listen in on what's so "special" about them.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 27, 2014, 12:13:39 pm »

"Interesting, so do they treat their employees fairly?"

Distract him from the spores, while they continue to do their work.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 29, 2014, 07:37:10 am »

((FLUFF!))
Edit: ((Wall of non-mutant fluff.))
Edit 3: ((I messed up some of the Ogre description, the skin is what was human colored.))
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:09:07 am by Happy Demon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 29, 2014, 03:00:49 pm »

((It's been a couple hours now, so I'll make another post, just to fluff with you. Also, wall of fluff.))
((Now I'm done with the 2nd and 3rd generation mutants from P769-524-FF-67532-Gamma (Bob), but I still have another 1st generation mutant type left, along with what happened to the southern hemisphere.))
Edit: ((Time to do the southern hemisphere.))
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:55:10 pm by Happy Demon »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 30, 2014, 12:13:08 am »

((I was out somewhere, sorry.))

Port Newton, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

"Fuck's sake, stop shooting!"
Dash out of cover, kick the grenade to the shooter. Run away.

Initiative
[1] Hal
[4] Other

(1) vs [6] The shooter opens fire again, mostly to suppress you rather than to actually hit you. You can tell because of the controlled bursts the shooter uses to fire at the large gear a few meters away from you. Fortunately, he's shooting at the wrong gear.

[6] vs (1) Thinking quickly, you knock the grenade back in the direction of the shooter with your foot, then flee the machinery room. You hear an explosion behind you, followed by metal gears grinding each other and making loud noises. The hull shudders, making you almost loose your balance in the low gravity. However, you manage to stand upright and get back to the ship's airlock, leading to the open deck outside.

[5] You are certain you aren't being followed, at least for now. [6/4] Your actions, though, have attracted the attention of the crew. One fisher, seeing you hurry toward the airlock, grabs your shoulder and berates you.

"What the hell did you do? I heard an explosion!"

Habitat Ship Gamma, Askarian Orbit | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Urban Station
City Manners (-1 to first impressions)

"Interesting, so do they treat their employees fairly?"

Distract him from the spores, while they continue to do their work.

"Indeed. New recruits are given benefits and a private shuttle. We're not looking for grunts, we're looking for business managers and agents to expand our efforts to new systems. You look like you're well-acquainted with other cultures, are you interested in a position?"

[5] The spores have thoroughly affected the man, causing his pitch to wander and his voice to deepen. You can tell he is having a hard time sitting up in his chair.

Crash Site
Confusion (-1 to your first initiative roll)

Investigate the now abandoned shuttle.

The shuttle, unfortunately, is internally pressurized at several megapascals. Your current suit will definitely not hold up to the pressure. You can procure a Guild suit with ease, though, if you stop by at the police department or one of the many guild offices and caches throughout the city.

[3] You do this, leaving your suit unmarked in the case that you are discovered in the shuttle. Should you escape out of sight, you can take the suit off and activate its internal heating to burn off any of your DNA left inside.

Then, you approach the shuttle's airlock.

[1/1] The airlock is devoid of anything else you might discover.

Instead, the inner door is locked with some sort of alien authentication mechanism, with a glyph-based keyboard and what looks like a text field to enter a password. The computer does, however, have a USB7 port, which means it's vulnerable to software exploits.

The outside of the ship has various hatches. You flip some of them open and find that they lead to storage compartments inside the ship. One (rather large) compartment has a second hatch inside (also very large), which is locked mechanically with sort of padlock.

Excelsior, Francia Orbit | 235d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Burgundy Lobby
Heavy Chatter (-1 Intellect, +2 Stealth)

This captain seem interesting, I could get (steal) some nice gear from them.

Investigate the FireHawk captain, take note of his/her equipment, and listen in on what's so "special" about them.

"Those who mess with the Firehawks tend to have short lifespans. Say, where do you hail from? You look like you've been through a lot."

[6-1] The captain seems friendly enough, and tells you about the Firehawk's military assets. They specialize in atmospheric warfare, typically piloting hypersonic aircraft that ride upon sheets of plasma and bomb heavily-defended military bases. The Firehawks are generally called in when a side lacks the air superiority needed to bring heavy bombing craft to bear, and lacks the orbital assets to bring slow, clunky bomber craft into position over the base. They charge a heavy fee for their services, but their tech and efficiency means that they are a huge asset to whomever they are fighting for.

Alas, none of the moons of George have thick atmospheres, which is what most of the Firehawks' craft are designed for. They can still fght, but they are not willing to take a side in the rebellion. Shucks.

They are here primarily because they are interested in gathering support for a counterattack against the pirates on Franz. It turns out that the leaders of the hydroponics firm are willing to shovel out any amount of gold to recover their installations, even if it brings the company bankrupt. They don't specify why, in particular, but they have several escrow agencies ready to hold funds for anyone who is willing to accept the contract.

((That -1 to diplomacy helped you here--you rolled a 6/6 until I realized you had a -1 here. Hooray for RtD mechanics))

[6/5] The captain is very heavily armed. You count at least three machine guns and a large laser cannon on the guy's back. He stands at over two meters in his exoskeleton, which is armored all over its surface and he also has a weird glowing thing on a belt attached to his chest. The belt seems loosely attached, though, and it would be a shame if it fell off without him noticing it...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:19:16 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Roll 13
« Reply #445 on: December 30, 2014, 03:51:48 am »

((F*** YEAH! Space pirates.))

Finally, someone willing to fight the space pirates, I'm so gonna join.

"Me, I'm from P76 yadda yadda Gamma, most just call it Bob. It's that planet with all the killer mutants on it.
I kinda got exiled due to killing too many dudes. Also, may I join in attacking the space pirates? I really want to fight space pirates... because space pirates.
"

Try to join them in fighting space pirates... SPACE PIRATES!

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 30, 2014, 04:32:37 pm »

"I have no honest idea, RUN!"
Get a suit on and bail out of there. Try to contact the Guild for help.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 31, 2014, 01:59:36 pm »

((This, is, fluff time!))
((I'm probably going to edit this post to add a second spoiler, as I've done to all the other fluff posts.))
Edit: ((More fluffing fluff, because FLUFF YEAH!))
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:43:58 pm by Happy Demon »

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 31, 2014, 04:15:31 pm »

"No thank you, I heard some rumors that SpaceInc was doing some nasty stuff to the planets their helping, maybe you should be looking into a new job, although I guess its not my decision. Anyway thanks for the talk."
Go to the floor below.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:44:12 pm by Ama »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 31, 2014, 05:17:07 pm »

((Fluff for the Fluff God.))
Edit: ((Text for the throne of Fluff.))
((Yes, the Fluff God is named Fluff, just 'cause))
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:09:38 pm by Happy Demon »

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 49