Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 71041 times)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Open Roll 9
« Reply #405 on: December 19, 2014, 10:10:57 am »

Go to Pier 31, but try not to get too close to the Freelancers.

I hate zero-G, my spear keeps getting stuck in things whenever I'm in zero-G.

Make sure not to get the spear stuck in anything (or accidentally make a shishkebab, because security gets annoyed when that happens).
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 19, 2014, 11:16:44 am »

((Where do I start? It appears everyone is just wondering about so im not sure where I am.))

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 19, 2014, 12:35:45 pm »

((GM will probably include your character in the next update, just wait until then to do actions. That's what I did when I signed up (which was page 21).))

Edit: ((By the way, is it okay to post more fluff about our characters or their planet of origin (or any other race that inhabit it) after having made the character (like in the form of walls of text)?))
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:44:56 pm by Happy Demon »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Open Roll 10
« Reply #408 on: December 20, 2014, 02:05:04 am »

((GM will probably include your character in the next update, just wait until then to do actions. That's what I did when I signed up (which was page 21).))

Edit: ((By the way, is it okay to post more fluff about our characters or their planet of origin (or any other race that inhabit it) after having made the character (like in the form of walls of text)?))

((You may, although huuuge textwalls might want to be put into a spoiler))

((Where do I start? It appears everyone is just wondering about so im not sure where I am.))

((You are now in, check the 'Urban station' section near Gamerlord.))

((Also, by the way, I seem to have forgotten froggy ninja this way... Froggy, do you want to start now or wait until the next mission?))

Port Newton, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

If I can procure a boat, get to civilization, and open up my comms to the Guild.

"This is Hal Jordan, I have managed to track down this... "Orion". I am ready to turn him in, but I am in the middle of nowhere and I need some means of transport. Anyone willing to help? I am on the surface of Askaria, on a ship, more specifically.

You are, in fact, on a boat right now. The skies seem remarkably clear out at sea, so you ask the captain if he can take you out so that you can communicate. [4] He accepts. Next, you just need to use the boat's radio dish, which is specifically designed for long-range communication using the radio drone loop. All is going well.

[5] You receive a response from Anthony Barker of the Guild cruiser Razorback, after being rerouted through several AI's. Some were rather intelligent, others were not...

"Hello? This is Cap. Barker. We can't trace your signal. Are you still at port Newton? We can send a shuttle down to pick you up."

Spoiler: AI's in this universe (click to show/hide)

Habitat Ship Gamma, Askarian Orbit | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Urban Station
City Manners (-1 Diplomacy during first impressions)

Ah, the Guild's habitat ships. Huge, self-contained cities, often a better place to live than . The guild itself does not act as a government to these cities, but rather sponsors a client state for each habitat ship focused on developing itself and using the funds allotted to it as best as possible.

You find yourself inside a domed auditorium with a glass ceiling. Through the dome you see nothing but stars through the gap between two divisions of the ship, held together by tension cables. The ship has five "petals" which swing outward in order to maintain straight gravity during acceleration. To keep the petals from flying apart, there are about a hundred nanotube cables preventing the spinning sections from flying apart.

Inside the room, a guest professor from a Georgian university has come to speak of the differences between different human cultures. The speech is, as always, centered around human, humans, and more humans, although the occasional reference to alien lifestyles is mentioned. Even so, there are many more aliens than there are humans, which makes you wonder why this sector is so heavily dominated by them.

He reaches a history segment, where he describes the various discoveries made by humans. You daydream for a bit, as the material is quite boring. When he gets to a description of your world, on the other hand, you snap out of it and listen.

Zavis was a world which had been fragmented at some point in the past, the only evidence of its existence being a dense asteroid belt around its host star. Dense, of course, being a relative term. It was the subject of much research at first, drawing many scientists and geologists to discover what had destroyed the planet, as the density of the belt indicated that the world was only recently destroyed, astronomically speaking. The planet's moon remained as a dwarf planet, harboring an alien race that called themselves the 'Zumbar' [he mispronounces it] within geodesic dome colonies.

This race was a peculiar one. They had an advanced society compared to most of what we discover, but their numbers were very few and a lot of their remaining population tended to be the depressed, nihilist type of individual, which would have been unlikely to have dreams of interplanetary colonization. They attributed the destruction of their world to a race they called the 'Horgaerans' [also mispronounced], with whom they were supposedly at war with, and lamented the destruction of the 'mother Zumbar' which they regard as a diety figure. Our archeologists have yet to find physical evidence of the Horgaerans, although the myth has been incredibly influential to Zumbar society.

Astronomers chiefly suspect the Zumbar were artificially seeded on a world prone to meteorite strikes. Their star system lacks any gas giants massive enough to function as a shield to draw meteors away from the inner system. Perhaps the approach of a nearby star disturbed the system's outer belt, which sent a shower of massive objects into the inner system, which resulted in the unfortunate destruction of the Zumbar homeworld."

Humans are also very arrogant, as this confirms.

Crash Site
Confusion (-1 to your first initiative roll)

Look as though I'm looking for survivors in the wreckage, but actually scavenge for goodies.

Well, it seems that a lot of the gear was designed for a high-pressure environment. You find an empty spacesuit lying on the grass, designed not for humans but for something that looks like a bipedal manta ray. Its systems are activated, leaking carbon dioxide and nitrogen out of its tanks while blaring its low pressure alarm.

You find various other spacesuits, some also active, others offline. Most of them seem to be charred and burnt, however, and some seem to have been used recently, as you find a viscous pinkish gelatin on the inside as you screw off the helmets. Most of the ones with the goo have also been punctured or opened in some way or another, perhaps by debris from the room they were located inside. One has a large hose rammed through its chest, while another was flattened by something roughly cylindrical. You find a tank nearby which is meant to hold water, but leaked most of it on the grass.

[2] All in all, you don't find any weapons or expensive cargo, although you do find the occasional smartphone (all with locked screens) and laptop computer lying charred and burnt.

A party of aid workers from a local charity called Providence shows up in a large van, consisting of four humans and one Corvan. They soon run into issues with the law enforcement officers, who tell them that the area is restricted to non-government or Guild personnel. A shame.

Hilbert Station, George Orbit | 235d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Lawful Station
Quiet (+1 Intellect, -1 Stealth)

Go to Pier 31, but try not to get too close to the Freelancers.

I hate zero-G, my spear keeps getting stuck in things whenever I'm in zero-G.

Make sure not to get the spear stuck in anything (or accidentally make a shishkebab, because security gets annoyed when that happens).

[2-1/3] Your attempt at sneaking doesn't quite work, primarily because your spear sticks into a freelancer's backpack when you overshoot your intended trajectory. The amorphous alloy tip shreds fabric with ease, causing property damage with even the smallest of taps.
Navy: "Hey, watch it!"
Orange: "Is this kid following us?"

Time to come up with a defense...

On the other hand, you are much more agile than the whole lot. You can just push past them and ignore them if you wish, although they'll find you on the ship.

Excelsior seems to be accepting passengers for the typical reasons of staving off piracy.

Spoiler: Piracy (click to show/hide)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Open Roll 10
« Reply #409 on: December 20, 2014, 02:43:25 am »

Slvia is lost in deep thought over this show of such arrogance.
Humans....always ignorant of other cultures. If the professor had done any real research he would know that Mother Zumbar was as real as the ground under his feet. She was no god, but our ruler, some say for thousands of years she survived, guiding us. Sure the stories over the years had grown very fanciful, but there was still hundreds of interviews and pictures of her magnificence.

Meteors destroying Zavis! Is this professor insane! The idea that the Horgaerans were not real is the most insane thing I have ever heard! The descriptions of a short pig nosed, furry, mammallike aliens that drive their warships around the universe on their insane quest to destroy all other life have been given by every one of our warriors. No one can find them at the moment because they drove their warships to the far corners of space to regroup and plan.

Having enough of this uncultured professor Slvia floats away to find someone interesting to converse with.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 20, 2014, 02:52:41 am »

Damn, was really hoping for something good. Oh well, check in with the Guild guy in charge.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 20, 2014, 03:31:42 am »

((Well I'm not going to work from christmas to next year, so I'll have some free time on my hands.
Also it should let me do future stuff without seeming like I'm pulling stuff out of my a** as I go along.))

"F***ing zero-G, this is the 4th time now... 4 times too many."
*Turn to the freelancers*
"I did tell you I was going to the Academy, and the Excelsior is taking off soon.
But it seems staying behind you is going to be a pain in the back, so I'll go ahead, no more back-stabs at least (f***ing zero-G).
"

Damn it spear, stop doing this sort of thing, you're supposed to stab when in my hands, not on my back.

Go past them to prevent further accidental back-stabbing.
If lens woman doesn't like it, then that's her problem.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 20, 2014, 05:54:44 am »

"Nope, I am on a boat, and should send you a signal... right now."
Try to send a signal with my location to the ship and keep an eye on Orion. Check whether is he alive or not.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Open Roll 11
« Reply #413 on: December 21, 2014, 09:52:00 pm »

Port Newton, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

"Nope, I am on a boat, and should send you a signal... right now."
Try to send a signal with my location to the ship and keep an eye on Orion. Check whether is he alive or not.

"Uh, a signal?"
You affirm that you are, in fact, sending a signal.
"Well, okay, we still can't trace you. The drone transmitters on Askarian are incredibly outdated, and they don't contain location info."

Well, there's always the option of giving your location via compass--oh wait, Askarian has no magnetic field. How about GPS? You ask one of the ship's crew how they determine their location.
"By the color of the sky and the angle of the sun, pretty much. We've got instruments to do that, lemme show you."

You broadcast the latitude and longitude of your location to the Guildship.
"Got it. We'll send a corvette down."

[6/4] Orion appears to be stirring a little. Looks like he's not dead after all that. You look around for something to restrain him with, and find three options: Industrial-strength cable, zipties, or heat shrink wrap.

However, when you get back, he's missing! You listen for footsteps, and can't hear any. You do, however, hear a thud, as if something big and heavy dropped on the floor. He could be hiding among the gears (although it would be dangerous), inside a closet (though he'd have no way out if he is in one), or somehow managed to run back up the stairs without making a hint of noise.

Habitat Ship Gamma, Askarian Orbit | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Urban Station
City Manners (-1 Diplomacy during first impressions)

Slvia is lost in deep thought over this show of such arrogance.
Humans....always ignorant of other cultures. If the professor had done any real research he would know that Mother Zumbar was as real as the ground under his feet. She was no god, but our ruler, some say for thousands of years she survived, guiding us. Sure the stories over the years had grown very fanciful, but there was still hundreds of interviews and pictures of her magnificence.

Meteors destroying Zavis! Is this professor insane! The idea that the Horgaerans were not real is the most insane thing I have ever heard! The descriptions of a short pig nosed, furry, mammallike aliens that drive their warships around the universe on their insane quest to destroy all other life have been given by every one of our warriors. No one can find them at the moment because they drove their warships to the far corners of space to regroup and plan.

Having enough of this uncultured professor Slvia floats away to find someone interesting to converse with.

You hover out of the room, attracting little attention as most of the students are more concerned with their grade than the interesting alien technology around them.

The university is vertically built, having only one major feature on each floor. The floor below is one large cafeteria that serves food of all cultures and species, while the room above has laboratories reserved for Doctorate students.

Just outside the auditorium door you encounter a SpaceInc employee attempting to advertise the company. Little does he know, the Guild is actually attacking them right now.

Crash Site
Confusion (-1 to your first initiative roll)

The Guild official is Eric Walker, an engineering manager who maintains various Guild assets and vessels.
"Nidoma! It's good to see you. Are you looking for somewhere to help with? That shuttle over there is highly pressurized--"
He points to the landed shuttle, still not releasing its passengers.
"They can't disembark because their atmosphere contains a significant amount of hydrogen. The first one exploded because their atmo mixed with ours and caught fire on one of their VTOL thrusters. These aliens must be really stupid if they don't bother to check their surroundings."

After a while, a police truck arrives and officers begin to spread heat suits out on the ground.

"They're here! We're going to try to figure out a solution. That shuttle's airlocks can't pump a vacuum out of a 55 MPa compartment, only vent the atmosphere and mix it in with the surrounding air. I'd either leave or put a suit on if you're going to stay, just in case something goes wrong."

Hilbert Station, George Orbit | 235d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Lawful Station
Quiet (+1 Intellect, -1 Stealth)

((Well I'm not going to work from christmas to next year, so I'll have some free time on my hands.
Also it should let me do future stuff without seeming like I'm pulling stuff out of my a** as I go along.))

"F***ing zero-G, this is the 4th time now... 4 times too many."
*Turn to the freelancers*
"I did tell you I was going to the Academy, and the Excelsior is taking off soon.
But it seems staying behind you is going to be a pain in the back, so I'll go ahead, no more back-stabs at least (f***ing zero-G).
"

Damn it spear, stop doing this sort of thing, you're supposed to stab when in my hands, not on my back.

Go past them to prevent further accidental back-stabbing.
If lens woman doesn't like it, then that's her problem.

[3+1-1] ((Bonus for coming up with a reasoned defense, due to the intellect bonus!))

The freelancers more-or-less accept the apology, and continue on without chasing you. Lens woman appears pissed, though.

You float aboard the ship, paying a small fare to the crew (-1 oz). Life support is a privilege, not a right! This ship doesn't seem to be carrying freeze-class passengers, at least. Freeze-class is a term used to describe carrying passengers in cry-sleep, in order to minimize life support costs.

Before the freelancers arrive, you hurry into the gravdeck elevator and head up to the gravity level, a crowded, busy space with cheapish orange LED lighting and rough steel floors and walls. The ship appears to have been built in a hurry, with the interior hardly designed for comfort or peace of mind. You get into a chair and watch some drunk aliens try to order more beer from the bartender, who promptly rejects them.

Crowded Spacecraft
Heavy Chatter (-1 Intellect, +2 Stealth)

After a couple of hours, you hear an announcement over the speakers.

"Welcome to the Excelsior! Due to complications in Burgundy, the Revolutionary faction has barred all entry by non-registered citizens of the Georgium Sidis Republic. We will not be offering refunds on fares at this time."

There is noticeable discontent among some crowds. One person starts shouting and cursing, but is promptly pulled away by security.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Open Roll 11
« Reply #414 on: December 21, 2014, 09:53:51 pm »

"Orion. Stop. This is not even necessary, as I got my fun out of this, just give up and lemme get my pay."
Look for the bastard in the gears. Get a pipe or something in my hands.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 22, 2014, 01:33:58 am »

Eh, no reason to care, it's the rebels who will try and stop me. I can just kill them.
This ship needs as much pirate deterrence as it can, so I'm sure the captain will let us stay for the trip.

Stay on the ship.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 22, 2014, 04:04:33 am »

Find a suit and slip it on. These dumbasses exploding should be pretty funny.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 22, 2014, 12:16:20 pm »

((Yay, no more work this year. Now to do pointless fluff just for the heck of it.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((Also, time to do a bit about the planet of P769-524-FF-67532-Gamma (Bob), specifically the area Vax is from (in the form of a Wall of Test).))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:51:18 pm by Happy Demon »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 24, 2014, 02:44:18 pm »

So, I think I've got a character to give you guys.

Spoiler: Selv (click to show/hide)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 24, 2014, 04:28:21 pm »

((It's fairly... standard. Kind of lacks sci-fi tropes.

Also, a desert world would either lack population or require water from somewhere. If the planet has significant water reserves stored in aquifers, perhaps you could justify it, but if it works, for example, Dune style where they collect water from the air, the infrastructure used to collect water would set up a sort of hydraulic system that isn't really prone to warfare.

I'm not saying it's bad, but it could use more sci-fi... stuff :P))
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:35:20 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49