Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 70964 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Intermission - Jedi Mind Tricks
« Reply #210 on: November 16, 2014, 12:02:34 am »

"As far as I can gather, the person in question generally has to be convicted of some offense first."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 16, 2014, 12:05:59 am »

That isn't normal in human controlled space?

"That's... very interesting. No, that isn't normal to most human sectors, but usually it's hiveminds that think it's okay, not human offshoots. Humans usually have concepts like cruel and unusual punishment, innocent until proven guilty, humane treatment of prisoners... although in practice not everyone follows through."

"As far as I can gather, the person in question generally has to be convicted of some offense first."

"That's right. A shame this planet doesn't have much of a rule of law. Most ports operate on principles of mutual trust, which as you can tell doesn't have much force behind it."
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 16, 2014, 12:11:44 am »

KX9 are qualified as a pseudo hivemind. Isn't there a recordbank in the guild on us?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 16, 2014, 12:14:15 am »

KX9 are qualified as a pseudo hivemind. Isn't there a recordbank in the guild on us?

"But you do have some understanding of individuality, right? That's what I've been told, at least."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2014, 12:25:33 am »

Correct. We are primarily autonomous. Fairly rare for mental synchronization to occur.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2014, 12:46:10 am »

Correct. We are primarily autonomous. Fairly rare for mental synchronization to occur.

"The guild doesn't perform dissections, however. If a combatant dies, it's perfectly acceptable to investigate the cause of death and discover something useful in the process. But killing them for our benefit is not what we do."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2014, 12:51:18 am »

If he happens to die because he decided to piss off a Combatform, that's his fault. Valrak won't intentionally kill him, however he is likely to accidentally if the target doesn't drop the object of interest before being tackled simply due to the weight, strength, endurance, and durability gap between a KX9 Combatform and a standard human.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 16, 2014, 12:54:26 am »

"Mightn't some part of this equation count as armed robbery?"

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2014, 01:04:21 am »

He attacked first.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 16, 2014, 01:36:01 am »

((I find it hilarious that we're discussing this as the combat is occurring. Let me update the situation...))

He attacked first.

"But did he really attack first? All I can see is you guys chasing him after stealing something that apparently belonged to him. What did he do?"

More violence below...

"He attacked one of us, therefore guild threat!"

Deuce was already sprinting toward Orion as he said this.

Running dropkick!  Get him on the ground and grapple him!  Pin his arms!
Nerin pings all local guild members through the guildcomms as Valrak charges after Orion. Target onfoot, switch built into head. Heading towards offices. Object of interest is a red crystal bead being carried by target. KX9 Combatform Valrak in pursuit. Target has implants that enhance psychic attacks, primarily overriding motor nerves. Caution advised.

Initiative Rolls:
[4] Deuce
[4] Valrak
[3] Orion

Deuce: [6] vs (4) You catch up to him just as he passes through the doors. Ramming through, you force one of the doors from its hinges, slamming into Orion and taking him with you as you both collapse in a heap.

Valrak: [4] vs (6) You catch up to Orion, but Deuce's position makes it difficult to engage in any sort of brutality right away. You crouch and reach to the back of Orion's head as Deuce pins him, but... (4-2) vs [1/4] you feel something burning inside your torso. You look below and see that Orion's arm is free, and in fact is holding the weird bead close to your torso. The rapidly oscillating magnetic field heats up your metal augments, interfering with your groupmind connection and breaking your synchronization. You try to grab his hand and remove the bead, but Orion prevents your arm from moving toward it using his mind tricks.

Suddenly, Deuce talks, but not in the same voice as before. The words are loosely spoken and said with a very strong lisp.
"Stop right now or your neopet buddy is going to suffer. Big time."

Sustained contact with that magnetic field is going to melt your augments in short order if you don't do anything about it.
((A note on the roll. The 1/4 means you rolled a 1, but with significant side effects from the 4. that means that while Orion doesn't deal much damage because his roll was also weak, the side effects of you losing the fight include the interference stuff breaking your synchronization. So yeah.))

Deuce: Well that wasn't you speaking... you regain control right after the false words exit your mouth.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2014, 01:49:05 am »

"Fascinating! Been a while since I've seen a display of localized psionics like this. Hmm, do you think we should intervene?"

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 16, 2014, 01:54:09 am »

Valrak hops back and reestablishes connection before syncing. Nanobot based repair systems coming online to fix damaged augments and biological processes acting to knit damaged flesh back together. Flip the switch. Bash his head in. Either works. Incapacitate him. Ignore his threat. He can't do anything worse then disable the connection of mine for a second. Too many lockout mechanisms in the mechanical augments of mine for him to use them. Reestablishing connection.

Nerin resyncs with Valrak as he reconnects a second later.

He initiated a psychic attack on a guild member first without provocation from a guild member.

((You should use a larger numberset then 6 or start using modifiers. Preferably both. Valrak should have by this point easily incapacitated Orion, regardless of Deuce getting in the way.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 16, 2014, 02:05:08 am »

Valrak hops back and reestablishes connection before syncing. Nanobot based repair systems coming online to fix damaged augments and biological processes acting to knit damaged flesh back together. Flip the switch. Bash his head in. Either works. Incapacitate him. Ignore his threat. He can't do anything worse then disable the connection of mine for a second. Too many lockout mechanisms in the mechanical augments of mine for him to use them. Reestablishing connection.

((Can't resync because the augments (formerly said instruments) are taking damage.

Also your characters individually have to be weaker than a single player, with regards to balance. Can't just have some characters be better than others in every way AND have a second character to boot.))
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:11:55 am by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2014, 02:17:08 am »

((He hopped back out of range, letting the various repair systems fix broken things. That thing isn't a laser, it's a field. It radiates. It doesn't shoot unless I've been misled.))

((Valrak is great at combat/more military related stuff due to augs and training but he's sorta shite at a lot of other things. Nerin is considerably smarter and skilled at various things but isn't exactly equipped for combat. His Geneline is a Logiform not a Combatform like Valrak's. There's a reason he isn't charging in after Valrak. He isn't meant to be in a fight and although he can handle himself against a single normal opponent and likely be fine, he has no real way to deal with augmented/trickstery opponents or multiple normals and that would not go so well. Compared to Valrak who was literally bred for combat and has augments and training to supplement. Valrak would not be able to do much logisticswise without Nerin and Nerin would not be able to do much combatwise without Valrak.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2014, 02:34:31 am »

((He hopped back out of range, letting the various repair systems fix broken things. That thing isn't a laser, it's a field. It radiates. It doesn't shoot unless I've been misled.))

((Valrak is great at combat/more military related stuff due to augs and training but he's sorta shite at a lot of other things. Nerin is considerably smarter and skilled at various things but isn't exactly equipped for combat. His Geneline is a Logiform not a Combatform like Valrak's. There's a reason he isn't charging in after Valrak. He isn't meant to be in a fight and although he can handle himself against a single normal opponent and likely be fine, he has no real way to deal with augmented/trickstery opponents or multiple normals and that would not go so well. Compared to Valrak who was literally bred for combat and has augments and training to supplement. Valrak would not be able to do much logisticswise without Nerin and Nerin would not be able to do much combatwise without Valrak.))

((Roger, I misread that post somehow.

I understand the specialization. Though if your characters are both above-average at the roles they fulfill then they need a weakness to compensate. The emotional link is perfect for this, actually, and your characters are pretty well-designed from a gameplay standpoint.

However I disagree that 'Valrak should have by this point easily incapacitated Orion.' I'm not trying to make Orion a god-tier NPC here or anything, but the dice is really killing you guys. Translating to plot logic that simply means your character screwed up an easy job.))

He initiated a psychic attack on a guild member first without provocation from a guild member.

Hearing a loud crash coming from the hall, Jaina assumes that the job is done and that Orion is incapacitated. She turns to Nerin.

"Interesting. What sort of psychic attack? Did he try to turn you against each other or did he assault one of you directly?

Could be smart to implement some sort of countermeasures for our combat armor in the future."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:38:34 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 49